Old 04-24-2021, 08:31 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,113 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
I get the impression that you think distance and control/putting are mutually exclusive. And I strongly disagree. It is possible for someone to have controlled distance as well as have a good mid game and be a decent putter.
Oh I 100% agree with that and I've seen it at the 40 AND 50 age levels. I've played with 50+ guys that are rated 970+, and they bomb and putt lights out. But my main point is, you can be very competitive and win tournaments throwing much less than 400ft in the 40+ divisions.

We probably agree more than we disagree.

The bigger problem being an older player in today's game is...in the past we could get a decent ratings bump from younger players due to their short game wasn't that good, resulting in score separation. But damn you internet videos... more and more young guns are bombing and learning to putt. lol.. :P
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-24-2021, 09:26 PM
Par Member

Niced 129 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Oh I 100% agree with that and I've seen it at the 40 AND 50 age levels. I've played with 50+ guys that are rated 970+, and they bomb and putt lights out. But my main point is, you can be very competitive and win tournaments throwing much less than 400ft in the 40+ divisions.

We probably agree more than we disagree.

The bigger problem being an older player in today's game is...in the past we could get a decent ratings bump from younger players due to their short game wasn't that good, resulting in score separation. But damn you internet videos... more and more young guns are bombing and learning to putt. lol.. :P
No doubt we agree more than disagree. Most important part of the game as 50+ I am finding is staying healthy so I can stay on the course, and like you said that means playing smart at times and not try to mash the disc every shot. I've been focusing much more on my putting the last 2 years or so, and the most gains I have seen in my putting game come from exercises I am doing off the disc golf course related to balance work and functional movements.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:53 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 775 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Agree. A big difference I see between AM3 and MA50 is scrambling as well. When the MA50 is in trouble, which is less often, you see a bibliography of shots. Flick rollers, sweeping anny, tomahawk, scoobers.... My favorite is busting out the super low ceiling, ultimate, wrist flick, spin shot. Snapping the disc to nose up, from a low angle. The kids are always flabbergasted by that shot, lol.
I have seen this shot!
Old 04-25-2021, 09:18 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,113 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
My favorite is busting out the super low ceiling, ultimate, wrist flick, spin shot. Snapping the disc to nose up, from a low angle. The kids are always flabbergasted by that shot, lol.
Played with a 30+ something player recently who played like this all the time. It was easily the most incredible wrist snap I've ever seen in person. Hardly no run up, little arm speed, but that wrist snap would launch discs 400+ effortlessly. After the round was over we talked a bit and he said he came from ultimate and has been playing for 14 years and all his friends say the same thing about his arm speed, if he could get more arm speed, core rotation, etc, he would be bombing 500+ easily.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 893 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Agree. A big difference I see between AM3 and MA50 is scrambling as well. When the MA50 is in trouble, which is less often, you see a bibliography of shots. Flick rollers, sweeping anny, tomahawk, scoobers.... My favorite is busting out the super low ceiling, ultimate, wrist flick, spin shot. Snapping the disc to nose up, from a low angle. The kids are always flabbergasted by that shot, lol.
When I read this post, the following came to mind:

Check out disc golf George, he knows all the shots
Mind he's strictly old school he doesn't want to make a social media thing
They say some old DX is all he can afford
When he pays those entry fees on discgolfscene

Old 04-26-2021, 08:03 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 2,130 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
When I read this post, the following came to mind:

Check out disc golf George, he knows all the shots
Mind he's strictly old school he doesn't want to make a social media thing
They say some old DX is all he can afford
When he pays those entry fees on discgolfscene
Lol Sultans of Sling

Old 05-09-2021, 08:48 AM

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 39 Times in 10 Posts

This is a really cool thread to read!

I am returning to DG after a hiatus of a few years of other stuff. I am also 46 and the return to DG has a few things that has me thinking.

I wanted to go for distance this year as well, but in 20/20 hindsight from the past, I think my accuracy is more important to me. 400' drives are nice but knocking down putts consistently will ultimately save my game.

One of the most important things for me in DG or in any other activity, like fly fishing for me, is just to have fun and not stress about the little things.

I will be working on flexibility and strength this year as well. I think if I can figure out fluidity of throws this year I will be really pleased.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 799 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy46 View Post
This is a really cool thread to read!

I am returning to DG after a hiatus of a few years of other stuff. I am also 46 and the return to DG has a few things that has me thinking.

I wanted to go for distance this year as well, but in 20/20 hindsight from the past, I think my accuracy is more important to me. 400' drives are nice but knocking down putts consistently will ultimately save my game.

One of the most important things for me in DG or in any other activity, like fly fishing for me, is just to have fun and not stress about the little things.

I will be working on flexibility and strength this year as well. I think if I can figure out fluidity of throws this year I will be really pleased.
I get mostly pars, some bogeys, few birdies and fewer double bogey+. If I get a bogey it’s 80% because of a bad drive, 10% bad upshot and 10% bad putt. It’s not distance, but catching a tree that kills my game. I’m looking forward to the time when I’m mostly worried about putting!

Old 05-09-2021, 01:58 PM

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 39 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I get mostly pars, some bogeys, few birdies and fewer double bogey+. If I get a bogey it’s 80% because of a bad drive, 10% bad upshot and 10% bad putt. It’s not distance, but catching a tree that kills my game. I’m looking forward to the time when I’m mostly worried about putting!
Trees are and apparently will always be my nemesis. I remember when I first started playing and was getting more distance, my buddies and I would point out a tree at about mid-distanceand make sure the thrower heard us.

"Hey, see that tree? Don't hit it!"

Invariably, the thrower would hit the tree. Now, keep in mind this was just a bunch of good friends messing with each other, not during tournament play. Okay, well maybe during skins games.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 799 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy46 View Post
Trees are and apparently will always be my nemesis. I remember when I first started playing and was getting more distance, my buddies and I would point out a tree at about mid-distanceand make sure the thrower heard us.

"Hey, see that tree? Don't hit it!"

Invariably, the thrower would hit the tree. Now, keep in mind this was just a bunch of good friends messing with each other, not during tournament play. Okay, well maybe during skins games.
Isn’t it remarkable that 99.999% of the air is not trees, and yet we hit them?