Old 04-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,065 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I get that it wasn't available for the 1st run and that they maybe wanted to try something else - but in the future

like, I don't think that material is now extinct. haha I'm sure they can re-create it close if they tried. just sayin' would be a nice thing since the protos were $
I'd like that too, but I don't think they'll make the effort to do that. They're going to concentrate on the Luna (that McBeth is doing so well with), and just not worry about what the rest of us might prefer.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 97 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I get that it wasn't available for the 1st run and that they maybe wanted to try something else - but in the future

like, I don't think that material is now extinct. haha I'm sure they can re-create it close if they tried. just sayin' would be a nice thing since the protos were $
Plastic isn’t made from scratch by the disc manufacturers, it’s brought in from companies who produce the polymers for the plastic and rubber. My wife works in silicone manufacturing so I have an idea of what it takes to make a plastic or rubber polymer. If the resources aren’t available, the polymers can’t be produced.They were pretty clear, the rubber isn’t being produced anymore so that particular run of plastic is now impossible to produce

Niced: (1)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 569 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
Plastic isn’t made from scratch by the disc manufacturers, it’s brought in from companies who produce the polymers for the plastic and rubber. My wife works in silicone manufacturing so I have an idea of what it takes to make a plastic or rubber polymer. If the resources aren’t available, the polymers can’t be produced.They were pretty clear, the rubber isn’t being produced anymore so that particular run of plastic is now impossible to produce
But in the future ----eventually ---- you'd think it should be a possibility. We don't know the facts of the product, supply etc - I know it was said that the material wasn't available. Just curious if in the future.

But I hear what you're saying...and that's a bummer...especially making a disc that is now really impossible to replace. Thankfully I was able to snag 6 identical ish ones. Im sure they'll last for some time.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts

I love everything about the Luna. Perfect firmness, great stability for drives, upshots, and putts. But I can't see myself investing into them much further if they can't address the durability issue. I was practicing 70-80' touch upshots in my yard and accidentally hit a small wood pile next to my shed.

Ended up with a nice little slice in the disc. Disappointing as the shot couldn't have been traveling more than 10mph when it hit. We have some rocky fairways here in the Northeast and I'm a little nervous how these will hold up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 966 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
I love everything about the Luna. Perfect firmness, great stability for drives, upshots, and putts. But I can't see myself investing into them much further if they can't address the durability issue. I was practicing 70-80' touch upshots in my yard and accidentally hit a small wood pile next to my shed.

Ended up with a nice little slice in the disc. Disappointing as the shot couldn't have been traveling more than 10mph when it hit. We have some rocky fairways here in the Northeast and I'm a little nervous how these will hold up.

Well, I doubt they are going to rework the plastic. Just get a Ti Roach?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Well, I doubt they are going to rework the plastic. Just get a Ti Roach?
Already have a TI Roach that I like but they mold up with a higher shoulder than normal. The Luna gave the TI Roach stability but a low shoulder.

I'm hopeful they they can tweak the blend slightly to make it more durable. Or at least drop the price closer to Jawbreaker.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 12
Niced 890 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:

I'm hopeful they they can tweak the blend slightly to make it more durable. Or at least drop the price closer to Jawbreaker.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Eagle Member

My infatuation with the Luna was short lived. I got ~2 hours of practice in at the course and they just weren't working for me. TI Roaches are a much better driving/upshot putter and surprisingly the Soft-X Roach works best for my putt.

I like the feel of the Jawbreaker Roach the best for putting but for some reason the Jawbreaker plastic is giving me all sorts of crazy bounces off of the basket. I get a ton of dead center putts that hit the pole and bounce straight back or if I miss chains and hit the top of the cage they bounce pretty far. I'd blame it on me putting too hard but I don't have a crazy fast spin putt, It's more of a beanbag toss style arc with a little wrist flick at the end.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 12
Niced 890 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
I like the feel of the Jawbreaker Roach the best for putting but for some reason the Jawbreaker plastic is giving me all sorts of crazy bounces off of the basket. I get a ton of dead center putts that hit the pole and bounce straight back or if I miss chains and hit the top of the cage they bounce pretty far. I'd blame it on me putting too hard but I don't have a crazy fast spin putt, It's more of a beanbag toss style arc with a little wrist flick at the end.
I bag 2 JB Roaches, one putter and one approach. You've mentioned some of the contributing factors - cost, plastic, durability. I don't have roll away or bounce issues any worse than other putters I've tried. The more I use them, the more I like the JB plastic for both putt and approach. Remains to be seen if I still like them when it gets really hot.

It would be nice to see the Roach in a slightly firmer mid grade plastic but I'm OK with bagging a "poor man's Luna".

Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts

I like the Luna. I'd probably like the Roach just as well but I prefer the firm, chalky plastic. Feels exactly like the BT Hard Harp I pair it with. I had a few spit outs early but that appears to have stopped with some wear on the rim. Haven't had any issues with roll-aways either.

That rounded bottom combined with the plastic gives me the smoothest release of any putter I have tried.

Dings and scratches don't bother me at all as long as it doesn't bend and warp (this is why I like BT Hard but not Origio). In fact I like them in the same way I like a muskie lure with teeth marks from past successes. I'd really like to see the Buzz, Wasp and Zone in this same blend. Right now I throw Pro MD3, DX Rocs, and BT Hard Harps but I could be persuaded...

Last edited by spinachd; 04-16-2019 at 11:30 AM.