Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 688
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,494 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
hmm ok thank you. That seems like a step in the right direction. I guess there is no "official" best answer but that seems close. Are there other courses that use blue stakes "unofficially" to mark casual relief? Is there any kind of trend there at least that I could mention when I get asked about it by locals? Is that a thing I could cite with other examples?
I think the very fact that they see blue stakes would trigger some curiosity on what they mean. Thing is, your rec players are not likely to take a penalty anyway even if it were marked OB.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

True, I'm not worried about the very new rec players but the locals who play often and/or participate in leagues at various courses in the area will likely ask about the blue stakes if we go with that. Can you name other courses that mark casual relief areas with blue stakes? So at least I might have a response to the questions I foresee getting? What's my good explanation other than blue stakes mean casual relief? Examples of other courses that use them?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 688
Niced 1,494 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
True, I'm not worried about the very new rec players but the locals who play often and/or participate in leagues at various courses in the area will likely ask about the blue stakes if we go with that. Can you name other courses that mark casual relief areas with blue stakes? So at least I might have a response to the questions I foresee getting? What's my good explanation other than blue stakes mean casual relief? Examples of other courses that use them?
Two Highbridge courses used in a World Championship may still have the blue markings. Other than that, there's no written standard so it would be random whether any other courses use blue stakes. But then, few courses mark casual relief areas. If it makes it any better, you can tell them the head of the international Disc Golf Course Designers group has recommended blue stakes.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:11 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Thanks, CGK. That seems like the best solution.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 171 Times in 91 Posts

If you're hell-bent on markings that fine.

However, the most 'elegant' and long-lasting solution would be to solve the drainage problem. Even though somewhat labor intensive, you'd be surprised how easy and fast this might be - dependent on your situation of course. Food for thought...

I prefer less markings in general...
Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Hah! That's a nice thought but we can't stop the Columbia river from coming over the rocks during a storm. Its not a "drainage problem" that can be solved. One of the things that makes the course fantastic is that it runs right next to the river...but that comes with its own issues.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

That ^ being said, I will probably sit on it and see the feedback I get over the winter. The course is still very new and there is a dry fairway area. Its likely that some people won't realize how wet the lower area is though unlss it is marked and will think they can throw there.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 714 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Hah! That's a nice thought but we can't stop the Columbia river from coming over the rocks during a storm. Its not a "drainage problem" that can be solved. One of the things that makes the course fantastic is that it runs right next to the river...but that comes with its own issues.
If it is tempoary, the best bet might be wet sign with how long the area is within the course give from tee to 30 feet past the basket the problem is on. Use that at the tee pad a sign with this info to the side with the water.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-11-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Ya, that is a good thought Casey. It is only seasonally wet (maybe 8 months out of the year). The concern is it is hard differentiate the wet area from the rest of the fairway when on the teepad so that is where stakes would help...though I'm sure repeat players will figure it out pretty quickly on their own.

I think the I'm going to sit on it and see how it pans out. No need to rush to a solution. I have been trying to widen the fairway a few feet on the opposite side to, hopefully, alleviate the issue a bit.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 240
Niced 1,579 Times in 694 Posts

Blue stakes with CASUAL stenciled in white. Don't even have to do every stake, just every other or so.

Niced: (1)