Old 07-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 682 Posts

Obsessed with disc golf me: It really depends on how rare the mold is. If it's a core mold, I never stop looking for more, but I'm frugal about pulling the trigger. I got lucky and stocked up on a lot of discs before they really gained popularity so I was able to get backups in the 10s for most of them before they exploded in price. $15-20 now is better than $40 later.

Realistic me: Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just use discs until I lost/broke them and find something else to replace them. At this point there are way too many molds on the market to have to hoard favorites. I'm also well aware that I'll never be above an Intermediate division thrower so any inconsistency in a new disc is more me than it is the disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,178 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Realistic me: Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just use discs until I lost/broke them and find something else to replace them. At this point there are way too many molds on the market to have to hoard favorites. I'm also well aware that I'll never be above an Intermediate division thrower so any inconsistency in a new disc is more me than it is the disc.
Disc golfers: Nothing flies like those old (insert disc here) did.

Me: I'm pretty sure there are four or five discs out there now that fly pretty much like those did, or at least close enough that a 900 rated player wouldn't notice a difference if it wasn't for the stamps.

I mean I do get that once you find something you don't want to switch, but if I had to replace Rocs I could. There are Roc-like discs that would be fine for somebody at my skill level. I just don't want to switch, so I hoard backups.

Last edited by Three Putt; 07-21-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Disc golfers: Nothing flies like those old (insert disc here) did.

Me: I'm pretty sure there are four or five discs out there now that fly pretty much like those did, or at least close enough that a 900 rated player wouldn't notice a difference if it wasn't for the stamps.

I mean I do get that once you find something you don't want to switch, but if I had to replace Rocs I could. There are Roc-like discs that would be fine for somebody at my skill level. I just don't want to switch, so I hoard backups.
You also don't have trouble finding good Rocs so you don't necessarily have to hoard them. This is coming from someone who is in triple digits with good Rocs...
Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 306
Niced 2,068 Times in 1,023 Posts

1) I have too many.
2) I think we worry bout this too much.

At this point, I just try to trade molds I don't throw fir molds I do, and don't pay cash for more than about 3 discs a year.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,178 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
1) I have too many.
2) I think we worry bout this too much.

At this point, I just try to trade molds I don't throw fir molds I do, and don't pay cash for more than about 3 discs a year.
A lot of it is a personality thing. I play guitar (poorly) as a hobby. I play in my house to no one and jam with a handful of other also poor players. I need one guitar and one amp. I have five guitars and three amps + a pedal board with 1/2 dozen pedals because I'm that guy. I don't need the majority of that stuff to play "Wild Thing" with my friends in a garage and I know I don't need it. I have it, though. I have too much stuff.

Same with golf discs. I have like 800 of them. Some of them I know I'll never throw. I have an Innova Dolphin; why would I ever throw that? I'm just that guy. I have too much stuff.

Some day we will move and I'll need to get rid of stuff I don't want to move, and suddenly there will be a bargain to be had for somebody who thinks a knock-off Japanese Telecaster copy and a buncha old DX golf discs is a haul. Until then it's my stuff.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,017 Times in 508 Posts

I don't really carry backups with me. I have lots of multiples of molds but they all fly a bit different. I do carry 1 extra putter for practicing when I'm not at home.

I have the fewest of backup putters. 3 extra putters. Steadys are not the easiest to come by lately. Luckily I cycle through putters very slowly.

For throwing putters: I have 3 backup midnight flyer steadys, and 3 backup zones.

For mids, I have 4 extra jb/ctjb wasps and 6 wasps in esp/glow swirl esp/zflx. I have 13 backup comets (I love comets and have many from over the years)

Drivers: I have 4 extra Z predators, all the same shape and weight. Should be set for life there. Plenty of extra undertakers, 5 FR/Z Glow, 3 esp, and 5 z. Again should be set for a while. A few extra mantises to last until I actually get undertakers beat enough to take that slot too. I have 2 extra tour series PL hurricanes, 2 normal PL hurricanes, and 2 SP.

I tend to pick up FR undertakers, steadys, JB wasps, hurricanes and comets when I find good ones. I rarely lose discs, so really could throw what I have for any years without buying more (putters and JB wasps the exception)

Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 139 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
a knock-off Japanese Telecaster copy and a buncha old DX golf discs is a haul. Until then it's my stuff.
Japanese guitars are where its at! Im a big fan of old school japanese copy guitars, great craftsmanship. Got a couple matsumoku Strats myself, cheap way to get a vintage Fender (basically) without the price tag.