#251  
Old 06-30-2019, 06:21 PM
discerdoo's Avatar
discerdoo discerdoo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,665
Niced 1,443 Times in 741 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Is this the pearly ones?

Ship em my way, Ill cover full cost plus shipping. I need a consistent replacement for 2nd run FD
I've been bagging one of these and I'd say it's a touch less stable than a 2nd run. Like ponder, I find them very similar to a C-FD. The pearly champ plastic is awesome and they are pretty flat. I like them enough that I got a couple extra.

Probably gonna drop the 2nd run from my bag. Still paranoid to throw it where I might lose it and I'm tentative throwing it sometimes. All of my TL3 are around 170g. Might try a max weight to go with a kinda beat S-FD and call it good for fairway discs.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM
ThomasOrion's Avatar
ThomasOrion ThomasOrion is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Courses Played: 20
Posts: 3,777
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts
Default

Question, Did they ever make a GLOW TL3? Or a White Star TL3? I only use white drivers in the summer and looking for a really nice straight fairway disc.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 AM
SD86 SD86 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,430
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Question, Did they ever make a GLOW TL3? Or a White Star TL3? I only use white drivers in the summer and looking for a really nice straight fairway disc.
I have a Glow Champ TL, but dunno about a Glow TL3. I have a White Star TL3 (no, I'm not giving it up, so sorry), so they're out there...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 07-03-2019, 03:04 PM
ThomasOrion's Avatar
ThomasOrion ThomasOrion is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Courses Played: 20
Posts: 3,777
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have a Glow Champ TL, but dunno about a Glow TL3. I have a White Star TL3 (no, I'm not giving it up, so sorry), so they're out there...
Cool. No worries I'm not that in need of more discs. How does the Champ Glow TL compare to the Star TL3?
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 PM
SD86 SD86 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,430
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Cool. No worries I'm not that in need of more discs. How does the Champ Glow TL compare to the Star TL3?
The Champ Glow TL was pretty much like every other Champ TL that I've thrown: relatively more overstable than the Star TLs, never beats in (and it wasn't for lack of trying on my part). My Star TL3s were a bit more like my Star TLs... maybe a bit faster, but not particularly so, IIRC. You're reminding me that I need to take my TLs and TL3s to the range to practice with and refresh my memory on the comparisons...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 03-03-2020, 11:43 AM
DenverTiger13's Avatar
DenverTiger13 DenverTiger13 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Columbia, Mo
Posts: 54
Niced 71 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I really never thought this day would come. I've been throwing Eagles since I started playing disc golf 4 years ago. They have always been my favorite discs and I never thought I would replace them. Well, late last year, I noticed that my Eagles were fading too hard at the end of their flights - especially on wooded courses which my home courses are mostly wooded. Because of this, I decided to mess around with a different fairway that offered a straighter flight with less fade. After some research and reading through threads I decided to start with the TL3.

I picked up a used star and factory second star and g-star TL3s. I didn't love any of them at first. I couldn't get them to be consistent in their flights. However, over the last few months, I've come to absolutely LOVE them. So much so that on wooded courses I leave all my Eagles out of the bag and use the star and g-star TL3 to devastating effect. What I found with the TL3 is that I don't need the power that I do with my set of Eagles. In fact, I back off from throwing about 80% to somewhere around 70% or so. This allows me to aim and hit small gaps easier and more consistently than I was used to with the Eagles. I'm still learning all the angles with the g-star TL3 but it can go dead straight, small turn to small fade, slight turnover to small fade, turnover to the ground, sweeping anny - I have not thrown one fairway that can fly as many different lines as well as this g-star TL3 can. The star TL3 offers more stability so I can throw a slight hyzer line that punches forward and then offers a solid but very controllable fade. I've also found that the star TL3 does in a 10-15 MPH headwind what the g-star TL3 does in the woods - which is anything except hyzer lines.

So this post got very long but suffice it to say I've fallen in love with the TL3. I'm bagging 2 (star and g-star) and on open courses I'm supplementing it with a newer star Eagle for harder hyzer lines and stronger headwinds for which I don't want to step up to a Firebird (basically only on more open courses). Excited to play the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons with this lineup.

Niced: (4)
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Myke566's Avatar
Myke566 Myke566 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 361
Niced 238 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTiger13 View Post
I really never thought this day would come. I've been throwing Eagles since I started playing disc golf 4 years ago. They have always been my favorite discs and I never thought I would replace them. Well, late last year, I noticed that my Eagles were fading too hard at the end of their flights - especially on wooded courses which my home courses are mostly wooded. Because of this, I decided to mess around with a different fairway that offered a straighter flight with less fade. After some research and reading through threads I decided to start with the TL3.

I picked up a used star and factory second star and g-star TL3s. I didn't love any of them at first. I couldn't get them to be consistent in their flights. However, over the last few months, I've come to absolutely LOVE them. So much so that on wooded courses I leave all my Eagles out of the bag and use the star and g-star TL3 to devastating effect. What I found with the TL3 is that I don't need the power that I do with my set of Eagles. In fact, I back off from throwing about 80% to somewhere around 70% or so. This allows me to aim and hit small gaps easier and more consistently than I was used to with the Eagles. I'm still learning all the angles with the g-star TL3 but it can go dead straight, small turn to small fade, slight turnover to small fade, turnover to the ground, sweeping anny - I have not thrown one fairway that can fly as many different lines as well as this g-star TL3 can. The star TL3 offers more stability so I can throw a slight hyzer line that punches forward and then offers a solid but very controllable fade. I've also found that the star TL3 does in a 10-15 MPH headwind what the g-star TL3 does in the woods - which is anything except hyzer lines.

So this post got very long but suffice it to say I've fallen in love with the TL3. I'm bagging 2 (star and g-star) and on open courses I'm supplementing it with a newer star Eagle for harder hyzer lines and stronger headwinds for which I don't want to step up to a Firebird (basically only on more open courses). Excited to play the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons with this lineup.
The Star TL3 is a super under rated disc. It has been my favorite fairway since it came out. I feel like it would be more popular if it had a unique name.

Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Timthenchant3r Timthenchant3r is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 84
Niced 103 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTiger13 View Post
I really never thought this day would come. I've been throwing Eagles since I started playing disc golf 4 years ago. They have always been my favorite discs and I never thought I would replace them. Well, late last year, I noticed that my Eagles were fading too hard at the end of their flights - especially on wooded courses which my home courses are mostly wooded. Because of this, I decided to mess around with a different fairway that offered a straighter flight with less fade. After some research and reading through threads I decided to start with the TL3.

I picked up a used star and factory second star and g-star TL3s. I didn't love any of them at first. I couldn't get them to be consistent in their flights. However, over the last few months, I've come to absolutely LOVE them. So much so that on wooded courses I leave all my Eagles out of the bag and use the star and g-star TL3 to devastating effect. What I found with the TL3 is that I don't need the power that I do with my set of Eagles. In fact, I back off from throwing about 80% to somewhere around 70% or so. This allows me to aim and hit small gaps easier and more consistently than I was used to with the Eagles. I'm still learning all the angles with the g-star TL3 but it can go dead straight, small turn to small fade, slight turnover to small fade, turnover to the ground, sweeping anny - I have not thrown one fairway that can fly as many different lines as well as this g-star TL3 can. The star TL3 offers more stability so I can throw a slight hyzer line that punches forward and then offers a solid but very controllable fade. I've also found that the star TL3 does in a 10-15 MPH headwind what the g-star TL3 does in the woods - which is anything except hyzer lines.

So this post got very long but suffice it to say I've fallen in love with the TL3. I'm bagging 2 (star and g-star) and on open courses I'm supplementing it with a newer star Eagle for harder hyzer lines and stronger headwinds for which I don't want to step up to a Firebird (basically only on more open courses). Excited to play the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons with this lineup.
Don't know if you know this but the Infinite Discs Exodus is the Eagle-L mold. If you were looking for an eagle that doesnt fade as hard. Sorry to complicate your disc search.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:35 PM
DenverTiger13's Avatar
DenverTiger13 DenverTiger13 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Columbia, Mo
Posts: 54
Niced 71 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke566 View Post
The Star TL3 is a super under rated disc. It has been my favorite fairway since it came out. I feel like it would be more popular if it had a unique name.
You may be onto something there. I do like throwing "Eagles" and "Thunderbirds" and "Wraiths." TL3 just doesn't have the same ring to it. But the disc is SUPER good. Straight with minimal fade at fairway speed and distance - a really unique combination.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #260  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:41 PM
DenverTiger13's Avatar
DenverTiger13 DenverTiger13 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Columbia, Mo
Posts: 54
Niced 71 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthenchant3r View Post
Don't know if you know this but the Infinite Discs Exodus is the Eagle-L mold. If you were looking for an eagle that doesnt fade as hard. Sorry to complicate your disc search.
Thanks for the reply. I actually did know that and I have beat up Eagles and a couple Eagle L's but they still retain a decent fade at the end. For example, I have a perfectly seasoned Eagle that flies like -1, 2 in terms of turn and fade. I can get it to do a lot of things (turnovers, straight etc) but I can't get it to stop fading more than I need because it just retains a LITTLE too much fade. The beat-up TL3 has the same turn but less fade than an Eagle-L or beat-in Eagle. Instead of fading out as hard it just falls with less lateral movement.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ISO TL3 150g-165g, and a few others the.penick The Marketplace 0 05-21-2018 12:39 AM
Innova TL3 vs. Discmania FD nocalkind Discs 2 12-07-2017 04:24 PM
TL3, Heat, Valkyrie, D1, Wave, Inertia dw00 The Marketplace 6 04-10-2017 08:21 PM
Protostar Foxbat & TL3 - $16 Shipped blazerlazer The Marketplace 5 12-11-2014 02:51 PM
Looking for Evolution Spirit Evolution Speed Demon thechamp The Marketplace 3 01-23-2013 03:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.