Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 212 Times in 140 Posts

Low ceiling approaches or putts where you need air-time. Also good for short wooded finesse lines wether it’s off the tee or a tricky uneven footed approach. Takes no effort to flip it up to flat, or hold an anny that won’t come back.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 62 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I would like Innova to make a Pro or KC Pro Sonic, maybe even a R-Pro Sonic if it could come out in right weights and feel to avoid the cracking players get with old DX Sonic's hitting a tree. This is the reason I will not buy a Sonic mold disc for a long putter. I was going to in the 2000's as a local player used the Sonic the same way Garret Gurthie dose.
XT Sonic!

Niced: (2)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 667 Times in 330 Posts

Wow this thing is amazing in the woods! Literally saved me 4 strokes in a single round at Sycamore Trails.

Infinite was out of the GG Sonics, but thankfully they still have the bottom stamped ones. I've ordered 3 more as backups.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Can anyone confirm if the newer DX Garrett Gurthie sonics are more durable or has anyone had them crack yet?

Also curious to see how much more stable the 175g ones would be compared to my 150g sonic.

Any insight appreciated!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Niced 752 Times in 345 Posts

I fondled them at the USDGC clubhouse. They didn't feel any different than the old DX Sonics I have. I doubt they are any different. I have theory that the heavier ones break more easily because they have more inertia. Blah blah blah science stuff.
I have only broken heavy Sonics, never the light ones. I like the way the light ones fly anyway, more lid-like. So all my remaining stash is 150g. Just like my Polecats

Old 11-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I fondled them at the USDGC clubhouse. They didn't feel any different than the old DX Sonics I have. I doubt they are any different. I have theory that the heavier ones break more easily because they have more inertia. Blah blah blah science stuff.
I have only broken heavy Sonics, never the light ones. I like the way the light ones fly anyway, more lid-like. So all my remaining stash is 150g. Just like my Polecats
Awesome, thanks for that. Funny thing is my 2 sonics are both 150g and I love em. It’s already a novelty disc, so having them in lighter weights makes it even more specialty.

Heavier disc = more impact makes sense. I don’t ever drive with them hard off a heavily wooded tee anyways.

Just tried out a 160g rattler the other day too which is a weird but fun disc to mess around with. I don’t see it kicking the sonic out though.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

IMO, Sonics begin to lose their uniqueness as the grams go up. They might have a very narrowly defined role in the bag but they absolutely excel in that slot.

I have hit trees pretty hard with my 150g Sonics and never broken them. It’s a fantastic and underrated disc for sure!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 667 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Can anyone confirm if the newer DX Garrett Gurthie sonics are more durable or has anyone had them crack yet?

Also curious to see how much more stable the 175g ones would be compared to my 150g sonic.

Any insight appreciated!
My GG Sonic cracked the first time it squared up a tree, and it wasn't even a full power throw. Best part of it was it was the first round of a tournament, which meant I couldn't use it the rest of the day.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
My GG Sonic cracked the first time it squared up a tree, and it wasn't even a full power throw. Best part of it was it was the first round of a tournament, which meant I couldn't use it the rest of the day.
Good god eh, that’s terrible timing! I get that they might not be designed for hitting trees, but innova should know better by now.

They made the polecat in R-pro, so why not try the sonic in R-pro or XT?

Hero discs already makes the superstar which is basically a sonic in star plastic. I’d be curious to try one out. Or would the star plastic make it more stable and take away the magical flight?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

I have friends who are in the dog sports arena and I have been able to try several companies' version of the Superstar. I haven't liked any of them better than the DX Sonic. I really wanted the Champ version to work (I think it was the SuperHero?) for added durability. It just didn't have quite the same magic. Its a shame because it would be PDGA legal under the Innova Hero Disc Type 235 name. I think they are all 130-something grams so the weight was not what was bugging me this time.

Sorry, I haven't tried the SuperSonic so I have no input there.

I like the idea of an R-Pro Sonic but I don't think there is enough structure to keep it from being super floppy. Have you ever used a Gumbputt? Despite my usual distaste for super-soft discs, I actually liked that pretty well and used it for many one-disc rounds with good success (99% in the thick Appalachian woods). I REALLY dig the idea of the XT Sonic. I'd buy 5 immediately if they made light weights. 5 Sonics should be considered 1.5 lifetimes' supply given how slowly they wear for me in DX.

GoobyPls-
dood, that sux. Big time. Sorry about that!