Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 659 Times in 520 Posts
Default Prodigy experts: What's the difference between the X and D series of drivers?

Just what the title says. Looking at these discs I can't really tell why Prodigy has two separate designations for drivers. Reading the flight ratings on them there seems to be quite a bit of overlap.

Anyone know why Prodigy does this? I'm not really a Prodigy thrower, but I find their lineup confusing.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 96 Times in 59 Posts

Trying to figure this out myself

Niced: (1)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 74
Niced 131 Times in 98 Posts

They realized after the D1 wasn't overstable enough and they couldn't make a D0- X1. Then they figured they could make different drivers under a different name- other X series.

TLDR: Prodigy realized their naming scheme really limited the amount of discs they can produce.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
They realized after the D1 wasn't overstable enough and they couldn't make a D0- X1. Then they figured they could make different drivers under a different name- other X series.

TLDR: Prodigy realized their naming scheme really limited the amount of discs they can produce.
Interesting. Prodigy's discs really are pretty mysterious. You have to go online to see what each disc does. No info on the disc itself.

IMO their naming scheme is awful. Almost impossible to remember which disc does what. Names are super boring and unmemorable. I've also thrown enough of their drivers to know that they have a lot of overlap going on amongst their models.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 304 Times in 178 Posts

Do they really need something more overstable than the D1? I thought the D1 was a PD2 type of disc
Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 510 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Interesting. Prodigy's discs really are pretty mysterious. You have to go online to see what each disc does. No info on the disc itself.

IMO their naming scheme is awful. Almost impossible to remember which disc does what. Names are super boring and unmemorable. I've also thrown enough of their drivers to know that they have a lot of overlap going on amongst their models.

Really? I thought it was way more self explanatory once you know the “1= most overstable” than literally anyone else’s name system. It’s not perfect but it’s trying.

I mean, what does a wombat or a shark tell me about it’s flight? Haha I always laugh when I try to picture what they mean with the ridiculous names. Oh, a gator? Maiden? That ‘splains everything! Lol
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Really? I thought it was way more self explanatory once you know the “1= most overstable” than literally anyone else’s name system. It’s not perfect but it’s trying.

I mean, what does a wombat or a shark tell me about it’s flight? Haha I always laugh when I try to picture what they mean with the ridiculous names. Oh, a gator? Maiden? That ‘splains everything! Lol
Well, they should at least put a little diagram w/ flight numbers on the disc like Innova does. I will agree with you that discs don't necessarily NEED silly names like Destiny or Stag.

Having a D and X line of essentially the same drivers is pretty confusing though.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 26
Niced 175 Times in 104 Posts

Have you guys actually thrown any of them? The rims feel completely different with the X series being a noticeably thinner profile. I would say they are faster out of the hand and supposed to give better release on sidearms as well.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 74
Niced 131 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Do they really need something more overstable than the D1? I thought the D1 was a PD2 type of disc
They are like every other high speed driver and inconsistent. Some are not very overstable. Some are borderline understable new. I like prodigys plastic but it is hard to get consistent discs from them. You find a run and color and only buy those

Old 10-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 26
Niced 175 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
They are like every other high speed driver and inconsistent. Some are not very overstable. Some are borderline understable new. I like prodigys plastic but it is hard to get consistent discs from them. You find a run and color and only buy those
Isn't that every disc? Destroyers are probably the most popular disc ever made and they are more inconsistent than anything I have thrown. I actually find prodigy to be fairly consistent if you stay within a weight range and a plastic.

For example: all my 170's d2's in 400g fly the same. All my 450 se's fly the same and are a bir more overstable than then 400g's. While all my 170's d2's in 750g fly very similar to my 400g's. If I get iunto the 160's they are a bit straighter. But you find that with ever disc from every company. Champ or lucid is usually more overstable than pro or biofuzion.