Old 04-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 108 Times in 59 Posts
Default Uphill & Downhill

I play primarily in north central Indiana, flatlands.

I am trying to improve my skills when playing hills.

All things being equal - assume no wind and no obstacles, basket straight ahead, just up or down. Not A simple 10ft elevation change, but more like 30ft or more.

When throwing uphill do you throw faster or slower discs compared to a flat hole? More stable or less stable?

Same downhill, do you change disc speed or stability or do you just throw what you would throw on a flat hole?

I have been experimenting but still struggling to read the elevation change right and park the disc as cleanly as I would on a flat hole.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2019, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 192
Niced 1,633 Times in 949 Posts

uphill understable

downhill overstable

Niced: (3)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 976 Times in 562 Posts

To add to what el said, usallaly disc up up hill or go to a lighter weight, disc down downhill and let the higher glide carry you to the basket.

Downhill, I can get my speed 7 to go as far as my speed 11, and be more accurate.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

When I throw down hill, I generally disc down to a slower speed disc. Mids specifically seem to perform very well on a lot of downhill shots. Uphill I throw a faster and more understable disc. I also really like to throw overhand when it comes to drastic elevation changes...though most disc golfers don’t throw overhands unless it’s a “get out of trouble” shot.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 978 Times in 641 Posts

Uphill I’ll usually throw something either less fast or stable.

A 280 shout flat for me is a Harp usually, maybe a Bard if the trees are low. On an incline it may be a a Stag or Piwakawaka.

240 downhill could be a Stego, or an OH with womthings faster to hit and stick depending on the line.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,017 Times in 508 Posts

I'll typically favor slower/lighter for uphill, not necessarily more understable, but understable is still a good option. Nose angle can be tough and keeping a disc up to speed to carry the distance because of said nose angle issues.

Downhill depends more on the shot and nose angle needed. The more you match the downhill angle, the easier it is to carry the distance, but it becomes harder to get a long hyzer to finish left.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 68
Niced 130 Times in 66 Posts

Downhill, throw a straight stable disc. Throw it at the correct speed for a straight flight on the flats, when you get the speed correct, it'll maintain that speed and keep going straight foreva.
I use Buzzzez and Envyz DH. They don't fade out hard when they slow down. I've watched many players throwing drivers downhill, rarely works, often ends up badly.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 976 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I'll typically favor slower/lighter for uphill, not necessarily more understable, but understable is still a good option. Nose angle can be tough and keeping a disc up to speed to carry the distance because of said nose angle issues.
According to the grade, I agree with this. 30 ft over 300 ft, I am discing up to a 10 speed as I can can still control the nose angle..
30 ft over 100 ft, yeah, I am discing down to either a speed 7 or 6, preferably in 150 class.

Speed 7s seem to be a pretty magic spot for hill shots.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 404 Times in 246 Posts

I typically throw understable stuff uphill, but not just because of distance loss. The bigger reason is that it's pretty difficult to throw flat on an uphill hole without either driving the disc into the ground or throwing nose up. So rather than try to throw the elusive perfect flat uphill shot, I instead either throw on an anny or an exaggerated hyzer. For a steep hyzer throw that you want to go straight and not fade out early, you need an understable disc.

Downhill I prefer overstable stuff for distance control. It's amazing how far a neutral disc can glide downhill. That's a good thing on downhill Par 4's, but is terrible for accuracy on Par 3's. Overstable discs will still fade out when they run out of steam even if thrown downhill, so if the wide hyzer line is available on downhill holes then that's shot I'm throwing.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

For very uphill shots, I throw nothing faster than a 7 speed and often just a mid. I just can't generate the power at that upwards angle to keep a distance driver going straight up the hill. And if I go to something very understable uphill and turn it over just a little too much then it's going straight into the hillside and probably rolling. I prefer neutral mids uphill most of the time because I can keep them flat and straight and have them land flat without fading out. I also find that I lose less distance with a mid uphill than I do with a driver because they are less nose angle sensitive. For me, it's usually a beat in Roc. I really don't understand people who talking about needing to disc up to throw uphill because faster discs have never seemed to go further for me uphill unless it's only a very moderate uphill.

Downhill it just depends more on the shot. I feel like I can make a lot more things work downhill than uphill so it just depends on what I need the disc to do.