Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Targets

Just wanted to share a target design for those of us that can't afford a $200+ permanent basket. I actually found the blue print on this forum and made a slight mod...instead of bolting the lower part of the pvc to the pole, I left it loose and hung a chain on the inside of the pvc. When the pvc is struck, its loose enough (by removing the bottom bolt) to rattle the chain against the pole. Sounds just like the real thing....AND my putting game has improved because of the smaller target. This course is at roughly 11,000 ft...If your ever in Alma, CO - look me up for a tour!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dg holes.jpg (41.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-06-14 at 9.12.40 AM.jpg (124.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-06-11 at 12.34.14 PM.jpg (72.0 KB, 100 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

High Country, that's a cool idea with the chain hanging inside the PVC. You said "this course"...I'm interested, how many holes do you have? Although its seems the targets would be harder to hit, I bet this could be an alternative to local parks that "don't have funding" for a disc golf course.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Interesting discussion could come out of this design... not because its a tone pole, or the cost savings... but the stickers! The choice of shiny black PVC vs White is where its at. Some might say that the black might be hard to see in woodsy or dusk conditions. However, white PVC with the side printing would look much less "refined". So... use the classy black but stickers to increase visibility and add "credibility"? What? is that opening the door to propagate the stickers and tagging issue? However, its a private house course (it sounds like it), so truly anything goes. I'd say this one of the few times where I see the stickers as a plus....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah - the chain inside works really well. If I recall correctly, the original design was created by a guy that was waiting on funding for more traditional baskets, but wanted to take advantage of the placements he had created in the meantime... We've got 18 holes up here, some are object but by the end of next week we'll have, 18 of the targets I've described. Ill post pics!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 43
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Working on this too. By far the least expensive route to go.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
Interesting discussion could come out of this design... not because its a tone pole, or the cost savings... but the stickers! The choice of shiny black PVC vs White is where its at. Some might say that the black might be hard to see in woodsy or dusk conditions. However, white PVC with the side printing would look much less "refined". So... use the classy black but stickers to increase visibility and add "credibility"? What? is that opening the door to propagate the stickers and tagging issue? However, its a private house course (it sounds like it), so truly anything goes. I'd say this one of the few times where I see the stickers as a plus....
My thoughts exactly! This is beautiful, undisturbed country up here...and keeping a low profile was an important consideration. The stickers give you just enough....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 652
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

What did these end up costing a piece? They look great.

I will argue that black is not the best color for visiblity but the fact that you can paint it any color you want is cool. I could see these being used as a temp/demo course. A Club wants to sell a park on disc golf well with 9-18 of these you slam them in the ground flag some tees and there you go. Takes up so much less room than portable baskets would for storage. If money is a issue for getting a course installed start with these then when the funding is there swap them for baskets.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

material cost per pin ends up at around 30 bucks...and I probably spent about 15 mins on each one (once I found my rhythm)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

yeah im also curious in price/time in each one.. i have a lot of great land around my house and only one basket and it gets very old trying to carry it around to every hole i want to play..usually just throw at trees and what not but these would be great!.. oops i was late thanks for the price

Last edited by ian.; 06-14-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: post above

Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafixit View Post
What did these end up costing a piece? They look great.

If money is a issue for getting a course installed start with these then when the funding is there swap them for baskets.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Our town just commissioned a local university to conduct a study for park expansion, among other amenities a disc golf course was included in the preliminary conceptual plan. I'm not sure how far it has gotten with local commissioners, but if its anything like the past...money is always the underlying issue. We have the space and I'm sure the workforce that would be willing to get the course in the ground. With Zebulon only 5 miles away, we have a great working example to pull from. But small town America is always most concerned with the bottom dollar.