Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 484 Times in 287 Posts
Default Muscle memory after a break?

So..I took a 5 month break, during that period I only threw a disc literally on 2 occasions. So yesterday I play 18 holes for the first time in 5 months and to my surprise... it felt like nothing changed in my game at all. I was throwing just as far, putting the same, etc, etc. The ONLY thing that was a bit off was accuracy, but that came back after a few holes. Actually my anny lines seemed easier, which was strange. Since this was my longest break ever, I was expecting pain, soreness, not being able to throw, etc, etc. Nada... nothing. It was like I never stopped. Keep in mind I'm an old dude, around 910 rated, so I admit the bar wasn't too high to begin with. lol..

Anyone else take an extended break, what were your results?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,081 Times in 1,308 Posts

I usually came back from extended breaks throwing further. I attribute it to learning through osmosis analyzing form and visualization.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
Niced 311 Times in 137 Posts

I normally come back throwing further a bit further if I've had a few weeks off but lacking touch and generally score poorly as a result ( lots more missed putts or underthrown approaches)

I've hardly played at all in the last year outside of tournaments and have found for the first time a distance drop when i went back to play over Christmas. First time i've experienced a drop in distance with a layoff so hope that isn't a theme. Although I did throw the longest drive I have done in years just before Christmas with no warm up at a course design meeting with the courses PGA golf pro who'd never seen a disc thrown previously. Shanked the first one and then threw another one angry for good measure and came up 8 meters short with a shallow hyzer on a 135 meter hole I had just laid out. That felt good as his jaw hit the floor and I had to stop mine doing the same and try to play it cool....

Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,357 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
So..I took a 5 month break, during that period I only threw a disc literally on 2 occasions. So yesterday I play 18 holes for the first time in 5 months and to my surprise... it felt like nothing changed in my game at all. I was throwing just as far, putting the same, etc, etc. The ONLY thing that was a bit off was accuracy, but that came back after a few holes. Actually my anny lines seemed easier, which was strange. Since this was my longest break ever, I was expecting pain, soreness, not being able to throw, etc, etc. Nada... nothing. It was like I never stopped. Keep in mind I'm an old dude, around 910 rated, so I admit the bar wasn't too high to begin with. lol..

Anyone else take an extended break, what were your results?
I missed 6 months due to a shoulder injury, surgery, and rehab. I started back with putting, and worked up the distance throws.

My experience was similar to yours; I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it came back to me; consistency being the last thing to recover.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/b...not-your-limbs

Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 99
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

I've always noticed similar results after my own breaks, and I attribute it to the peaks and valleys of regular training. When I was a distance runner, there was only so much training I could do (around 3-4 months) before my body would physically peak. Improvements and times would hit a plateau, and it almost took more work just to maintain speed/endurance. By taking 2-4 weeks off, I of course would notice a small dip in performance. After a couple weeks of training in a new season though, I would blast right through the old plateau.

It's hard to force myself to take breaks with disc golf, but I always try to look for plateaus in my training and development to let me know when it's time to rest. Don't get confused with a rut or a bad streak in scores- sometimes you do need to work through those before stepping away. But by taking a break, you hope to eliminate some bad habits while holding on to what you have learned to work well. When you start again, you've got a good base to work with to push your skills even higher.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,953 Times in 1,290 Posts

Usually I don't really lose power, and short breaks definitely help get it back from overdoing throwing. It's often putting and those medium upshot consistencies that take the constant work to get back. If I'm playing a lot and expect to always get under the basket within 200' or hit everything within 25', then a break will take that away from me. If I'm just expecting for those to work "most" of the time then a break won't hurt me too bad.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 484 Times in 287 Posts

"Muscle Memory—It’s in Your Head, Not Your Limbs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
That was an interesting read. Would like to hear other's view on the subject relating to disc golf. hmmm.....
Old 01-12-2019, 06:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,081 Times in 1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
"Muscle Memory—It’s in Your Head, Not Your Limbs"

That was an interesting read. Would like to hear other's view on the subject relating to disc golf. hmmm.....
This is why visualization works. I think it's also why concepts or throwing philosophy helps, i.e. focusing on throwing a disc like a hammer.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.2
Courses Played: 47
Niced 385 Times in 169 Posts

Disc golf is like pool for me. When I haven't picked up a cue for a long time, I usually play the best game of my life. Then I remember that I suck at pool and everything goes downhill from there. It's all psychological.