Old 12-14-2018, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,081 Times in 1,308 Posts

That front leg action does look better. Now try to keep your shoulder moving on a straighter line all the way thru the swing over the foot - just try this slow without actually throwing or whipping anything(little whip of your hand) and standing upright on straight leg without a foot pivot or roll over - feel pressure through the bottom of your instep to the finish with left shoulder coming over foot and right shoulder just clearing out of the way.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 209 Times in 144 Posts

Been kind of avoiding this thread while my form has felt pretty good. Hitting 400'+ consistently and hitting lines. I'm continuing to work on balance and posture, and late acceleration. I'm starting to be able to move much slower through the x-step and hit my old max distances on control lines. Figured I throw in an update. Head position is looking better, but it seems like I'm not getting turned back enough in the lower body, or I'm rushing the upper body, but the sequence looks just a little off and too slow. Probably going to just keep focusing on what I have been as it's working, and the roller coaster of distance/accuracy has pretty much stopped.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah you aren't doing the Hershyzer with your Butt facing target and your Head/shoulder still facing the target while on the rear leg. You start turning your upper body/head back before you plant on the rear foot and your balance/backswing is happening behind/outside your rear leg instead of in front/inside of it. This is basically what we were talking about in SP's thread about landing Darkside...

Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Eagle Member

SSDD, but I wanted to get a side view of how I'm throwing right now. Getting a ton of pop on the disc, and it feels really good, but that right as my weight comes down on that rear foot, everything kind of goes wonk, and I can see how much improvement I CAN make to posture, but HOW is another story.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Start Hershyzer looking forward with butt facing target. Pump to the target. Stride straight into the wall/trajectory, stop drifting to the left and widening your stagger/opening femurs into a stance of no-return that you can't reverse back to.

Flat footed/both heels on ground Immoveable Horsestance femurs turned out vs Riding the Bull on toes and femurs/knees turned in and more vertically stacked under hips a la Swivel Chair angulating the shins more horizontal:

Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Start Hershyzer looking forward with butt facing target. Pump to the target. Stride straight into the wall/trajectory, stop drifting to the left and widening your stagger/opening femurs into a stance of no-return that you can't reverse back to.
Yeah, the widening of the femurs is something that's always frustrated me. I'm starting to see how the sequence is thrown off by that early reach back/tipped outside frame, because everything needs to kind of stall and wait for the weight to come down. You can see how far my disc drags forward before the weight shiftin these still images too. I'm thinking if I'm in that more proper upright stance with the later more natural turn back (let the disc turn me rather than the other way around) things will have to narrow up and shorten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You should totally make one of these! Just the repeated images of a few frames right at the weight shift really helps you visualize what your body should be trying to do. Watching the weight settle, hips swivel, and swing begin in one fluid motion over and over again, then seeing the AM just looks painful.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 AM
Par Member

Niced 94 Times in 53 Posts

When I was a young boy I used to play hockey and if you give me a stick my left side will fire exactly like it should. Now with a disc I used to have the same exact problem as you do now. I was able to generate tons of arms speed, it felt powerful and the distance was quite good but the horse stance would show his face everytime. So it took me actually quite a long time to figure it out but with a hockey stick I will fire my left side (I shoot lefty) and my right side is almost passive. Then what I did wrong with the disc is I loaded up the same but when it was time to shoot I just yanked with a loose right side as much as I could and my left side always fired too late and the kinetic chain lost its connection and the result was the dreaded horse stance.

Pick up a baseball bat or a hockey stick and experiment. Feel how passive your right side is when swinging. Watch some pro throws and look how they fire their rear side of their body. Not just the hips but the whole package as an unit. IMO this is the only way you can actually swing the dingle arm with some power in it and this is the only way you can get your rear side transfer the energy on to the plant leg. This also brings your left arm in naturally without manipulating it.

This is a great visualization of the thing I am talking about https://youtu.be/Jm9PqludD8U?t=56
Notice how both load up the same but when it΄s time to shoot the fellow learning fires his right side and loses all the stored up energy. His left side never fires it just stays passive because he is so focused on "arming" the disc.

Door frame drill: You build up torque or tension and when you let go its your rear side that fires, your right side is passive.
Crush the can: Your left side fires to bring in that weight to actually _crush balanced_.
I think I could go on with the examples but I hope you got the point.

ps. anyone else reading who is not at the same stage as BJ, this will not work if you are not able to load the hips (weight shift from behind.)

please discuss

Niced: (3)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
When I was a young boy I used to play hockey and if you give me a stick my left side will fire exactly like it should. Now with a disc I used to have the same exact problem as you do now. I was able to generate tons of arms speed, it felt powerful and the distance was quite good but the horse stance would show his face everytime.

Pick up a baseball bat or a hockey stick and experiment. Feel how passive your right side is when swinging. Watch some pro throws and look how they fire their rear side of their body. Not just the hips but the whole package as an unit. IMO this is the only way you can actually swing the dingle arm with some power in it and this is the only way you can get your rear side transfer the energy on to the plant leg.

Door frame drill: You build up torque or tension and when you let go its your rear side that fires, your right side is passive.
Crush the can: Your left side fires to bring in that weight to actually _crush balanced_.
Great write up man, and it's exactly what I've been working on. I've definitely noticed that I get a much cleaner/quicker weight shift when I have a hammer in my hand. The weight of it forces it to slow your upper body down, and let the weight from the ground do the work. I've started thinking of the analogy (and anyone feel free to tell me if this is stupid) of having a vase half filled with water, and what the best way to get water to fly as far as you can without tipping the vase at all. It would be in a linear/downward motion where the water swells up to the brim of the off side and you stop the motion at the bottom of the side your trying to get the water to fly out of. The water swells up from the bottom up and SPLASH OFF, water ejects the direction of the momentum. We can do this without any assistance from the top side, and that's why it's so important to wait to engage it, it just hampers natural momentum. Let the weight of our bodily water sack with the assistance of gravity to do the work for us.

I haven't been posting here as much because it's stuff I just need to figure out, and I don't think the repetitive posts help much. I'm trying to get out of my head and out of my own way with the process. Everyone want's an aha moment with this stuff, but I don't think it's how it works if you don't naturally know proper mechanics in some other type of swing. Here's a couple things shot recently I'll share to show how the process is coming.

Quote:
I still for the life of me cannot figure out how to get my front side to passively catch my weight on the toes. I'm getting better at sending the weight forward off the rear toes, but I pretty much always land slightly flat footed. I'm sure it's posture/sequence issue, but I'm struggling with it pretty hard.

Quote:
This is a great visualization of the thing I am talking about https://youtu.be/Jm9PqludD8U?t=56
Notice how both load up the same but when it΄s time to shoot the fellow learning fires his right side and loses all the stored up energy. His left side never fires it just stays passive because he is so focused on "arming" the disc.
I really love this dudes gumption. I've been telling him to just start a thread here, and have been begging him to just throw hammers. He went out and did it in his most recent video, and surprise surprise, it looks awful. Hitting a wall/pole with a rubber mallet is really where I started to get what I was trying to do with the swing. He's going to eventually figure out that trying to force/manipulate your body into a certain position doesn't work if you don't understand what the point of that position is.

Last edited by billyjacko; 01-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I still for the life of me cannot figure out how to get my front side to passively catch my weight on the toes. I'm getting better at sending the weight forward off the rear toes, but I pretty much always land slightly flat footed. I'm sure it's posture/sequence issue, but I'm struggling with it pretty hard.
You never setup forward addressed to the target. You always lean back and crouch and keep the elbow/disc down low and next to your body when setting up. You keep everything very tight and manipulated, while I'm nice and relaxed and abandoning the disc swing away to gravity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D4_tDZjX1w&t=4m

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.21.53 PM.jpg (19.0 KB, 74 views)

Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Eagle Member

Slowed way the hell down yesterday and just started hammering discs, who figured. Sorry for the limited info here, but had to post something.