Old 10-04-2018, 02:36 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 360
Niced 675 Times in 233 Posts

One of the reasons that low fee, no frills tournaments probably aren't as popular as we'd hope they would be, is that leagues and minis offer an even lower cost option, without the extra ancillary expenses, and time commitments involved. Why drop $30 on an all day event when I could attend 5-6 league nights at my convienence for that, without the player's pack disc I'm not going to throw, or shirt I already have too many of.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2018, 06:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 493 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka_Sinisalo View Post
Play closer to home or buy a a tent. Gas and motels have no relation. Did you have to pay to eat food too?
There is nowhere to play closer to home, there were no events where I live. Where do I pitch a tent when there are no campgrounds, Walmart parking lot? You go buy a tent, I'm 65 years old and I'm not sleeping on the ground. Gas and food have no relation? Pay to eat food too? You are a moron.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,036 Times in 1,365 Posts

TDs generally make tournament decisions, including setting entry fees and payouts, based on what they believe will bring the most players. In other words, what the players want---or at least, what they think the players want. The safe route is to set them as is customary in the area; after all, that has proven to draw players.

Personally I prefer the lower entry, no players pack events. But what I wish for is disc golf growth to the point that, in a given area, there are TDs following the standard route, and TDs offering lower-dollar alternatives, so players can choose which suits them, and (hopefully) TDs can demonstrate that the alternatives are viable.

It would help, as Biscoe pointed out, if the PDGA would loosen the payback requirements, at least for C-tiers. As it is, anyone displeased with the high-entry, high-payout trend can run low-entry events in competition, and see how it goes.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,234 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
One of the reasons that low fee, no frills tournaments probably aren't as popular as we'd hope they would be, is that leagues and minis offer an even lower cost option, without the extra ancillary expenses, and time commitments involved. Why drop $30 on an all day event when I could attend 5-6 league nights at my convienence for that, without the player's pack disc I'm not going to throw, or shirt I already have too many of.
For me, at least, it's easier to commit a full day to a tournament than every night of the week to a league (or even once a week). Also, within a 50-mile radius (30-40 courses), there are maybe two singles leagues during the week. Everything else is doubles, either random draw or BYOP. I prefer singles play, at least as my regular competitive outlet.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 106
Niced 182 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I was mostly meaning Hyzer Creek and J-Park, though I'm curious to what the difference is at CPS. All of those were at 72 with a waiting list fairly quickly, and the list was already to 8 or so by the time I saw it. I'll have to remind myself to find rhe calendar for next year, so I can set reminders.
Play it again open at CPS is a B tier compared to C tier usually at J and Hyzer. Also when you see a wailist sign up. There is movement always. Everyone on CPS waitlist got in this year and we had spots available day off.

2019 tentative schedule is up.
http://discap.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=3433

Last edited by kenjiac; 10-04-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 106
Niced 182 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
Play it again open at CPS is a B tier compared to C tier usually at J and Hyzer. Also when you see a wailist sign up. There is movement always. Everyone on CPS waitlist got in this year and we had spots available day off.

2019 tentative schedule is up.
http://discap.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=3433
Turkey Throwdown at central park will be opening up registration soon. Saturday after thanksgiving. BYOP doubles event. Best score from the white tees best shot from the blues. Pro, Am, Rec, Century, mixed will be the divisions.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:17 PM

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
There is nowhere to play closer to home, there were no events where I live. Where do I pitch a tent when there are no campgrounds, Walmart parking lot? You go buy a tent, I'm 65 years old and I'm not sleeping on the ground. Gas and food have no relation? Pay to eat food too? You are a moron.
Oh, you're that old? That explains the the off angle complaining. Congrats on the 100 points, young buck!