Old 01-26-2022, 03:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,336 Times in 696 Posts

Sorry, I meant 9 years ago.

It was cringe, I tell you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mwZyEwk.jpg (14.7 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2022, 08:53 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,818 Times in 756 Posts

I'll go with Prodigy doesn't sell because of their customer service and their team members. Their customer service is the worst in the business, they will tell you that their discs don't sell because you don't know how to sell. Their sponsored players are also the least approachable in the game, in general. There are obviously exceptions to this but from my experience, their players are the most cocky out of any manufacturer and can't back it up. Their attitudes are also that of entitled little brats.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-26-2022, 06:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 645 Times in 337 Posts

When I was still ultra noob, I was always able to get the disc I was looking for, even when I wasn't sure of the name.
If I was noob now, it've sounded more like this:
"Do you have a, ummm, Dv?, DD? D something disc?"
"Which one? V2, V3, R2D2, C3Po, HIV?"
"No, it definitely started with a 'D.' Eh, nevemind. Do you have a, ummm. I think it was Leopold or something like that."
"Oh, you want a leopard? Sure, what color? Weight?"
"Heh heh, yeah, leopard. Well, I want two discs. Just hook me up with any two leopards."

Old 01-26-2022, 07:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,018 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
They had a couple of runs that faded in color when exposed to sunlight. Apparently the UV protectant additive was missing.
Champ does that too, I bought a Z Buzzz which has been in my bag and a Champ Valk (which has sat in my garage) at the same time, the Valk has practically no color left and the Buzzz still pops
Old 01-26-2022, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,942 Times in 4,006 Posts

Based on the title I was totally not expecting this as early contender for thread of the year.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 90
Niced 1,270 Times in 646 Posts

Story time....

Played a prodigy sponsored tourney in AZ years ago. Was ran by the brother of a Prodigy ex pro.........

Finished 3rd in advanced (or 4th)My plastic grocery bag of predetermined discs had a sticker that said $76 value..

I got 4 prodigy discs.... two of them were base plastic...

A friend got 2nd in AM2....his bag said $106....he got 5 discs...two base plastic... he actually drove back and asked for more plastic or if a mistake was made....super cringe... I would never do that.

Even tho I really like the TD and still do... it gave me another reason to stay away from Prodigy.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2022, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 790
Niced 4,083 Times in 2,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Story time....

Played a prodigy sponsored tourney in AZ years ago. Was ran by the brother of a Prodigy ex pro.........

Finished 3rd in advanced (or 4th)My plastic grocery bag of predetermined discs had a sticker that said $76 value..

I got 4 prodigy discs.... two of them were base plastic...

A friend got 2nd in AM2....his bag said $106....he got 5 discs...two base plastic... he actually drove back and asked for more plastic or if a mistake was made....super cringe... I would never do that.

Even tho I really like the TD and still do... it gave me another reason to stay away from Prodigy.
the drive back is the beauty in that story

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2022, 11:12 AM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

As far as Prodigy, decent idea to keep it simple but it ended up backfiring when they realized they needed to make new molds/models to sell more discs. Now the simplification turned into a super complication.

What does a D2 or D2 max do versus a D2V2 or whatever. I have no idea. I also don't think any of the discs do anything better then other discs I already have. I tired a half dozen too, just mediocre products.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 334 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw83028 View Post
In the end, I don't hate their naming because I don't get it, I hate it because the vast majority of customers don't get it.

D2, D2V2, D2Max, D2New, D2Pro, D2Signature. 6 different discs

As a retailer, this was the most frustrating. In my experience, in the years of carrying Prodigy, most of Prodigy throwers that came in here (including die hards), didn't have a clue about any of the differences. People walk in and buy a D2V2. They come back and complain that it flies nothing like the D2 that they lost. I have to explain it to them. They buy a D2Max even though I tell them it's nothing like they're looking for. Of course, they hate it because it's nothing like the D2. They buy something that's not Prodigy. I don't know the percent of customers that moved on to something else, but it was a lot.

Whether it's easy or not, people didn't even care to figure it out. Arbitrary words are more memorable than letters and numbers. Especially when some of the numbers and letters don't line up across the board. "I throw an M4 but it's too fast, so I should go with the A4?" "I want a really flippy fairway like my M5 flies, so I should go with F5?" Those situations don't work.

I wonder where D2Signature, D2New, and D2Pro fit in to their flight chart. Is D2New just a D2V3 replacing the D2V2 which replaced the D2 and the D2V2 disappears? No thanks.

In the end, it was a pain having to describe a whole naming convention all the time. Words that have no meaning make more sense to people than Prodigy's attempt at lining things up.
This problem was made even worse with inconsistent runs. When a friend of mine first discovered Prodigy, he had an F7 that he loved. It was understable, but not crazy understable. Decided to buy a backup, which was of course, way less stable. He also threw M4s, which were a little less stable than his main F7, but not as US as his newer F7. I'd heard good things about the M4 overall, but his experience with it turned me off of trying one. I think I even looked at a few on your site before deciding against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
As far as Prodigy, decent idea to keep it simple but it ended up backfiring when they realized they needed to make new molds/models to sell more discs. Now the simplification turned into a super complication.

What does a D2 or D2 max do versus a D2V2 or whatever. I have no idea. I also don't think any of the discs do anything better then other discs I already have. I tired a half dozen too, just mediocre products.

I remember saying this exact thing about 4 years ago with a couple of their molds. H molds I think? I know there was a big gap in stability between something like an H2 and H3. I don't remember them off the top of my head.

But yeah, Prodigy names aren't terrible to understand, but they're unnecessary and definitely don't have any sort of selling power to them, and have only gotten worse as time goes by.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 62 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
What’s a RocX3?
It’s a flat top Roc that is extra beefy. Is it 3 times as beefy? I don’t know.