Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2022, 12:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 590 Times in 324 Posts

Expecting people who are naturally shy, or humble, or introverted, or quietly comfortable in their own skin, but great at disc golf, to go out and pump their tires on social media is dumb.

Not everyone is an entertainer a la Simon Lizotte.

This shouldn't be an expectation at all.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 236 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Expecting people who are naturally shy, or humble, or introverted, or quietly comfortable in their own skin, but great at disc golf, to go out and pump their tires on social media is dumb.

Which is why DGA is a great choice for her. I don't think that they are going to be expecting/forcing her to pump out social media content. I think DGA will be happy if she continues to do well and just lets her play do the talking. Lead cards get a lot of exposure.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,133 Times in 534 Posts

So I agree but will challenge at the same time…

Paul will be the GOAT because he has the perfect balance. Of course Kenny is The Champ, and even if Paul bagged 13 I don’t think he’d ever allow being called The Champ. Dude has too much respect for that. He knew he had talent, he understood he was in a position to leave his mark, and he’ll be the GOAT because he left his mark with personal play but more importantly he left the sport in a better place after he was finished.

Dude didn’t make his deals public to flex nuts on Ricky, he did it so everybody else down the road had the opportunity to make a living.

That’s why Ricky will ALWAYS be Pippen to Paul’s MJ, regardless if he wins the next 11 worlds. Ricky would embrace being The Champ…it matters to Paul but in reality that’s not his legacy, he knows that…

So the point is…yeah social media matters…that’s why Kona cashed a big fat DD check. Y’all can talk about JC, Dickerson, or whoever not being a natural salesman and limiting “Their Brand”. Nobody is asking them to be that…Simon took YouTube by storm and he was just being Simon…that’s why we all love him. 100% the first choice any of us would have to sit and kick it with and do absolutely nothing dg related but at the same time probably our first choice to play 18 with.

Talk to anybody who is successful in sales, they’ll tell you they’re just themselves and the rest falls into place. JC doesn’t have to be Simon on YouTube. Dickerson doesn’t either, nor does Cat. Find a way to effectively communicate yourself, whatever that may be, and you’ll get clicks.

Way too many people with eyes on the sport right now…which is a good thing…as somebody “Building a Brand” has a much wider net to cast.

My only ask is they all stop lumping themselves together with clip art initials. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 90
Niced 1,270 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
My only ask is they all stop lumping themselves together with clip art initials. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Who was the first to do that? I remember seeing the ULI shield a long time ago and thinking it was cool...

Now it is ultra cringe but everyone keeps doing it.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,133 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Who was the first to do that? I remember seeing the ULI shield a long time ago and thinking it was cool...

I think McBeth and Uli get passes because theirs were first and look decent, but everybody else is a hard pass.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,344 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post

I'll tell you that for the longest of times I thought the guy just had a bunch of cool Transformers discs.

Seen the letters only way later, duh

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2022, 03:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,344 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post

I am pretty sure Calvin got a wakeup call from somewhere to actually post on social media. I dont think its "hey i just felt like getting active on IG all of a sudden"

When its genuine, I dont mind it. Just more opportunity to see your favorite more in other than lead card coverage setting.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,074 Times in 1,072 Posts

Unfortunately—this (social media presence) is just water cooler talk, but it reflects the state of DG.

PMB and SockiBomb are the pinnacle of DG today and we (the fans) are talking about their social media presence. This was not the case with Jordan and Nike. It’s not the case today with Lebron.

This wouldn’t be a subject for discussion in the same way if we weee talking NFL, NBA, MLB. Social media gets those athletes in trouble.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:46 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 101 Times in 68 Posts

So what rating would each manufacturer get for its overall team?

A- Outstanding in all or most ways
B- Nice Stable
C- Sufficient efforts in the sponsorship game
D- Has team but who cares
F - Sad effort to create a team or no team

Based on Quality of player names, Cost for Stable, potential for increase exposure, Players fit to company image goals, etc.