Old 01-27-2022, 04:53 AM

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 4 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I'll tell you that for the longest of times I thought the guy just had a bunch of cool Transformers discs.

Seen the letters only way later, duh
Me too!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2022, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,272 Times in 2,835 Posts

Where has the "face of disc golf", "social media presence" strategy, of moving a sport from unheard of, to PGA status, ever worked? Has this been tried and successfully done in any other sports? Maybe it has, I can't think of any. Maybe it has been done in other sports, but I have just not seen any of it. Maybe it has been done in other sports and failed.

Maybe it is just an employment expectation, by disc manufacturers, to provide them marketing and advertising.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,356 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
It does seem to fly really similar to a Pipeline

https://youtu.be/hssgqnVX_D4
seems like they've made an F7 clone - I think the pipeline is more understable than advertised but it's not *that* understable
Old 01-27-2022, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 2,131 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Where has the "face of disc golf", "social media presence" strategy, of moving a sport from unheard of, to PGA status, ever worked? Has this been tried and successfully done in any other sports? Maybe it has, I can't think of any. Maybe it has been done in other sports, but I have just not seen any of it. Maybe it has been done in other sports and failed.

Maybe it is just an employment expectation, by disc manufacturers, to provide them marketing and advertising.
There hasn't been a sport transitioning from obscure to mainstream in the age of social media so it's new territory. Any business that wants to sell you something is pouring resources into social media so you should probably get used to it.

It's not my thing, I prefer the MJ social media approach.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,272 Times in 2,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
There hasn't been a sport transitioning from obscure to mainstream in the age of social media so it's new territory. Any business that wants to sell you something is pouring resources into social media so you should probably get used to it.

It's not my thing, I prefer the MJ social media approach.
I am going to disagree.

Rallycross, mountain biking, half pipe snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, boardercross, skicross, [All X Games], spikeball, cornhole, ultimate, rock climbing, MMA, tag, longest drive golf, pickleball, e-sports. These are just quickly off the top of my head. They are in various stages of large growth. I don't recall seeing any YouTube content from players. Some have had success and athletes are seen via commercial sponsorship, but player made content is nothing I have seen. Again, maybe it is out there.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 2,131 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
I am going to disagree.

Rallycross, mountain biking, half pipe snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, boardercross, skicross, [All X Games], spikeball, cornhole, ultimate, rock climbing, MMA, tag, longest drive golf, pickleball, e-sports. These are just quickly off the top of my head. They are in various stages of large growth. I don't recall seeing any YouTube content from players. Some have had success and athletes are seen via commercial sponsorship, but player made content is nothing I have seen. Again, maybe it is out there.
Whatever, I'm gonna go check MJ's social media feeds while y'all hash this out.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 694 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
I am going to disagree.

All so-called extreme sports have a very strong social media presence. I'm into mountain biking and there a lot of athletes having youtube and instagram channels. It's a very big deal actually. Athletes gets sponsorships due to their social media presence, even if they don't compete

Old 01-27-2022, 09:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 35
Niced 230 Times in 89 Posts

Almost, if not all, e-sports competitors also stream pretty regularly. They may not be creating a lot of YouTube videos, but will generally be live several hours a week.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 2,943 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Athletes gets sponsorships due to their social media presence, even if they don't compete
See: Brodie Smith

Old 01-27-2022, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,336 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
All so-called extreme sports have a very strong social media presence. I'm into mountain biking and there a lot of athletes having youtube and instagram channels. It's a very big deal actually. Athletes gets sponsorships due to their social media presence, even if they don't compete
Yeah man. Rock climbers have a s* ton of content too. Come to think of it, the most obscure thing you can think of right now, that you assume doesnt even exist, probably has a YouTube channel.

As an aside, and to be honest, as far as participating myself, I'm way more into mountain biking than into disc golf right now. Online though, I can forum quibble with the best of them about disc golf lol

Niced: (3)

Last edited by Flick Maniac; 01-27-2022 at 10:27 AM.