Old 01-27-2022, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Niced 193 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Who was the first to do that? I remember seeing the ULI shield a long time ago and thinking it was cool...

Now it is ultra cringe but everyone keeps doing it.
Tiger Woods
Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,133 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Unfortunately—this (social media presence) is just water cooler talk, but it reflects the state of DG.

PMB and SockiBomb are the pinnacle of DG today and we (the fans) are talking about their social media presence. This was not the case with Jordan and Nike. It’s not the case today with Lebron.

This wouldn’t be a subject for discussion in the same way if we weee talking NFL, NBA, MLB. Social media gets those athletes in trouble.
You’re correct, it doesn’t matter in major sports because those already have established markets with giant amounts of sponsorship dollars floating around.

Social media following means free advertising for the manufacturers. It’s also fairly easy to quantify, so they have an idea how many people they’re reaching.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,074 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
All so-called extreme sports have a very strong social media presence. I'm into mountain biking and there a lot of athletes having youtube and instagram channels. It's a very big deal actually. Athletes gets sponsorships due to their social media presence, even if they don't compete
I was going to post similar. Social media is YUGE for the non-mainstream sports.

I guess I should also say that it impacts the mainstream. Even at the highest levels an athlete can get themselves in hot water with a tweet.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 129
Niced 1,212 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchancer88 View Post
Tiger Woods
Superman

Niced: (2)
Old 01-27-2022, 11:08 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 251 Times in 132 Posts

Re: extreme sports, during last Saturdays supercross race on NBC the riders were talking about some youtube videos they had made the previous week. I didn't pursue it any further than that, but obviously even one of the more mainstream fringe sports is relying on a fairly heavy dose of social media activity.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2022, 11:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,297 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatflip View Post
Not sure how you can read that that way, unless you don't count her championships as success.
I read it the same way as the other poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
" I feel like I'm set up for success.
There is no feeling like being on the course knowing your company has your back, knowing they know who you are, and they're proud of you and they want to see you succeed.

...I am honored and excited to be a part of team DGA and I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of the DGA Community "
v
Catrina Allen
Team DGA

In other words, my last company was not supporting me.
It sounds like this:

There is no feeling like being on the course knowing your company has your back = Cat doesn't feel Prodigy "had her back"

, knowing they know who you are = Cat feels Prodigy just considered her "another player"

, and they're proud of you and they want to see you succeed = Cat feels that Prodigy wasn't proud of her/what she did and didn't do things to help her succeed.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 45
Courses Played: 320
Niced 374 Times in 194 Posts

Thanks for having my back, Bill. Unlike Prodigy had Cat's.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 101
Niced 1,224 Times in 447 Posts

This is a bit of a generalization, but people get into activities that reflect their personality.

Disc golf is a serene, easy going activity and disc golfers tend to be quiet and reserved (Conrad, Heimburg, Dickerson, etc.).

While there are some disc golfers who like attention and have a strong media presence, many players do not feel comfortable in front of a camera and are not interested in putting themselves on display which is what social media is all about.

Just my 2 cents.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-27-2022, 11:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,983 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I am going to disagree.

Rallycross, mountain biking, half pipe snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, boardercross, skicross, [All X Games], spikeball, cornhole, ultimate, rock climbing, MMA, tag, longest drive golf, pickleball, e-sports. These are just quickly off the top of my head. They are in various stages of large growth. I don't recall seeing any YouTube content from players. Some have had success and athletes are seen via commercial sponsorship, but player made content is nothing I have seen. Again, maybe it is out there.
You're just a crabby old man. It's there, but not on your radar.

(This is an affectionate compliment, by the way. Birds of a feather.)

Niced: (2)

Old 01-27-2022, 12:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,719 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I read it the same way as the other poster:

It sounds like this:

There is no feeling like being on the course knowing your company has your back = Cat doesn't feel Prodigy "had her back"

, knowing they know who you are = Cat feels Prodigy just considered her "another player"

, and they're proud of you and they want to see you succeed = Cat feels that Prodigy wasn't proud of her/what she did and didn't do things to help her succeed.
I don't think it reads that way unless you want it to read that way.