Old 01-28-2022, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,483 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi View Post
Thats intresting since for me this grip makes getting the nose down alot easier.
Played around with it alot this year tried diffrent things.

It seems that you have to pull through below your chest then having a high pull through at the nipples to get the nose down, for me it works alot better. It could be something with the elbow aswell since the feeling is kinda diffrent with this grip. Another thing is what sw mention before to throw more on a hyzer angle, bending at the waist. If i bend the same as with the regular grip most ppl use, angles are diffrent. Straight up body isnt flat release for me with this grip its more of a anny angle.

I think it also depends where it sits in your hand, and if you press with your thumb pad or thumb joint. I get bad results the bigger the gap is between my big thumb muscle and the plate, and getting the best the more i push the back of the disc up towards it but not all the way so they meet, a small gap there is perfect with great thumb pressure from the joint or pad. Kinda exactly what Dion Arlyn does in his old tip video, start by grip it where the fingers start then push it back up, you can see him push it up even more after he talked about it.
I’m wanting to flip the disc upside down when I try intentional pronation at the hit, like the thumb flicking the quarter across the table. They say the disc will have already come out before actual pronation happens. There’s clearly something I have wrong in my head.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2022, 02:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Watched some forms of retired pros like Jenkins and noticed that he has somewhat a similar grip like the deep thumb grip exept his thumb isnt towards the middle of the flight plate.

He says: I place the disc on the mid-line palm of my hand, wrapping fingers around the under side of the disc and positioning my thumb on the top of the ridge where the rim meets the top flight plate of the disc. The heel of my palm is raised off the top of the disc to reduce drag and to increase the speed of release.

Kinda similar to my dfp grip but in a extreme way, having it that low in the palm.
When gripping like that the nose is up and the angle is a bit anny. Tried this out today with same "reach back" height as i normally do and of course disc when nose up and turned way to the right. Then i remember seeing Jenkins reaching back above his nipple really high like Matt Orum, Wysocki and i did the same and woop disc went nose down 6 feet level to the ground with a great snap.

Anyone else tried this out? either this grip or a high reachback. Trying to figuering out how those 2 things are related and why it works aswell and how come it is reducing drag.

Here is a link to his grip tips if the photos didnt work.

http://www.averyjenkins.net/disc-golf-grips/

Last edited by Malawi; 03-14-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,929 Times in 3,996 Posts

I get more nose down with Avery's grip but it kills my thumb joint.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I get more nose down with Avery's grip but it kills my thumb joint.
Yes il get that now after throwing alot lately.. had to switch back to a more regular grip, so disc is more on the side of the palm with abit of the big thumb muscle on the plate kinda in between a dfp grip. But then in some throws disc went into the ground and i had alot of unindeded anhyzer release.

While looking now in the mirror i can see that its because i dropping my elbow right before release and what the dfp grip does like someone else explained in this thread is that its impossible to drop the elbow with having my palm above the plate and thumb towards the middle. To me, just that trick makes a DFP grip worth it even having thumb pain ��.