Old 10-04-2021, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,999 Times in 884 Posts

Clearly we've all seen copies and rip-offs before in the disc golf world.

I think what bothers me more than the blatant rip-off, is the dumb back story on their site.

Like, any serious disc golfer is going to see right through that.

The owners have existing contacts/clients in the bag manufacturing industry and chose the most high end bag on the market as a model for a reason.

They knew that a lot of people would say, "awesome, I can get a Pound replica for like half the price."

We all know at this point, that consumer culture has shown that the majority of people care more about convenience and "getting a deal".
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 10-04-2021, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,071 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Clearly we've all seen copies and rip-offs before in the disc golf world.

I think what bothers me more than the blatant rip-off, is the dumb back story on their site.

Like, any serious disc golfer is going to see right through that.

The owners have existing contacts/clients in the bag manufacturing industry and chose the most high end bag on the market as a model for a reason.

They knew that a lot of people would say, "awesome, I can get a Pound replica for like half the price."

We all know at this point, that consumer culture has shown that the majority of people care more about convenience and "getting a deal".

Its a tough gig. The choices are generally more complex than just being cheap.

We are psychologically driven to consume. Lot of people cant afford the best. You want a monster bag your choice is nothing or the clone ?

Then again, in a limited market, people have been known to gouge price products. If someone sells a product for $1000, that should be $50-$100, its hard to justify paying the big bucks when the copy shows up.

Im not arguing for the Squatch. I think its ridiculously over sized. I dont want to carry that much stuff on a round. Ive hucked a 100 pounds of stuff for miles in the Army. I dont need to do it on my free/pleasure time

Niced: (1)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 823 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
They own the mold and Discmania owns the name. There are questions about whether Innova can legally use the P2 in ad copy w/o permission from Discmania. Lots of talk has happened so far, but it's all armchair lawyers, and not anyone w/an actual horse in the race.

There have been claims that the Squatch situation is IP theft, so that's my parallel.
Now I get it, that's totally fair. still a little bit different because Innova didn't need to buy a p2 and have somebody copy it for them, but I get you're not trying to make a 1:1 parallel. also they're not trying to undercut discmania by copying and selling cheaper p2s... but I digress lol
Old 10-14-2021, 09:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

I have a Pound bag and yes it was expensive, but I wanted to support a guy who gave back not only to the sport, but also to the workers in the U.S.
If you are going to go the cheaper route, at least buy from a company who helps to support touring pros.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-15-2021, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 2,946 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smOOOth View Post
I have a Pound bag and yes it was expensive, but I wanted to support a guy who gave back not only to the sport, but also to the workers in the U.S.
If you are going to go the cheaper route, at least buy from a company who helps to support touring pros.
Just to play devil's advocate, cuz I really don't care, but:

Why should most of us care about the touring pros? The ones that are doing it seem to be doing just fine without additional support. One of them drives a McLaren for goodness sakes.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 172
Niced 1,350 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post

Why should most of us care about the touring pros? The ones that are doing it seem to be doing just fine without additional support. One of them drives a McLaren for goodness sakes.
Yup. One. Just the one.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post

I was just suggesting that instead of buying a bag from a company whose 'team' is basically the owners, your money should go to a company who gives back to the sport. You must only see the handful of pros who win the big tournaments and have Youtube channels. There are many pros who still have to work at a 'job' type job to afford to pay their bills and hopefully get to a tournament when they can. A few free or discounted bags can make a big difference to them.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 200 Times in 136 Posts

Attorney here, yall are using terms of art you clearly know nothing of. Trade Dress likely wont apply because of the functional aspect of the design and lack of proper registration. Meanwhile, likely no patent claim is available because in addition to the absence a patent filing theres nothing about a bag, disc bag too, that would suggest its not based on prior subject matter or art. The subject matter is obvious, a bag for discs and its based on prior design of which no enforcement of said design has ever been pursued that I can find.

Is it a copy? They look similar. Theft? I think you need to understand the jurisprudence behind the term. IP infringement? Not likely.

Now, does anybody have a review of the bag?

Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 AM

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Now, does anybody have a review of the bag?
so far the most detailed video out is only doth savek's unboxing video. If you follow his instagram he has been posting a few opinions about the bag still too early to talk about the longevity of the bag.

I also message bradley williams about the bag and he said that he felt a little bit of discomfort around the traps, was unsure whether its just the bag or him. But he's pretty happy with the big putter pouch and phone pouch.

I think there's another pro disc golfer who has the bag as well but i cant remember who

Niced: (2)

Old 10-17-2021, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 2,946 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smOOOth View Post
I was just suggesting that instead of buying a bag from a company whose 'team' is basically the owners, your money should go to a company who gives back to the sport. You must only see the handful of pros who win the big tournaments and have Youtube channels. There are many pros who still have to work at a 'job' type job to afford to pay their bills and hopefully get to a tournament when they can. A few free or discounted bags can make a big difference to them.
I understand your point. My point is that nobody in the world cares about what I choose to do for a living. Why would I/should I care about those particular pros or any pros for that matter? How do they affect my disc golf hobby? Supporting local clubs, sure, that I get. But the pros (seemingly) do nothing for my local disc golf scene.

Again, not saying I agree or disagree with any company or any of this alleged piracy. Simply trying to gain an insight into a side of this argument I'm missing.