Old 01-28-2022, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 116
Niced 527 Times in 226 Posts
Default I don't understand DGCR reviews/ratings

Specifically,
1)Why are reviews so few and far between with over 95,000 members ?
2) Why is there not a year-end top 50 anymore ?
3) Why are reviewers with one rating, weighted the same as a TR ?
4) Why are perfectly good suggestions ignored without the courtesy of a response ?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2022, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,296 Times in 2,845 Posts

• I dare say that there are not 95.000 active members.
  • I dare say, Tim would gladly accept any offers of help.
  • Reviews are not right or wrong. They are simply personal observation, based on the experience of the reviewer. Why would we assume some are more "right" than others. There is a filter, if so inclined to make use of trusted reviewers.
  • Sounds like a personal question to the owner of this site....and rhetorical, as posed here.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Specifically,
1)Why are reviews so few and far between with over 95,000 members ?
IDK, but my theory is that if you have a helpful/unhelpful response button under the review, it deters rookie reviewers when they get a negative response...and say screw this. Of course this keeps the quality up, but prevents future growth. There is a maturation process in writing reviews, why kill it ?

Old 01-28-2022, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
  • I dare say that there are not 95.000 active members.
  • I dare say, Tim would gladly accept any offers of help.
  • Reviews are not right or wrong. They are simply personal observation, based on the experience of the reviewer. Why would we assume some are more "right" than others. There is a filter, if so inclined to make use of trusted reviewers.
  • Sounds like a personal question to the owner of this site....and rhetorical, as posed here.
You are right,probably only about 950 active members. What does that tell you ? Tim does not want to be bothered with this site. It's on automatic pilot,in case you haven't noticed.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,399 Times in 3,027 Posts

My theory is that the fewer reviews is residue of more phones, fewer desktops.

Phones don't lend themselves to articulacy and literacy. It's a pain to put a lot of info into a review by phone, and not that great to read them, either. Same thing with these forums. Phones work better for instant, brief comments -- not just on disc golf, but everything.

If true, I'm not sure there's a good solution. Should this site be more like social media? I'd rather have fewer reviews -- but good ones. I think there's a place for this.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My theory is that the fewer reviews is residue of more phones, fewer desktops.

Phones don't lend themselves to articulacy and literacy.

If true, I'm not sure there's a good solution. Should this site be more like social media? I'd rather have fewer reviews -- but good ones. I think there's a place for this.
This hasn't happened overnight. The real problem, IMO is that there is a stong resistance to change for the good, if it requires any effort. My opinion is formed thru numerous encounters with TimG.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 224 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
This hasn't happened overnight. The real problem, IMO is that there is a stong resistance to change for the good, if it requires any effort. My opinion is formed thru numerous encounters with TimG.
Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I can't speak to that.

I will say as stated above though that although there are "95000" members, the number of currently active/new members is probably much smaller. I mean, there are plenty of sites I've joined or apps I've downloaded and only spent a month on. Also figure that there are probably a lot of people out there who are members that only use the site for the map and don't care about the rest of the site, not to mention non members doing the same thing. I'm sure that thumbs down votes may be discouraging to some people but there are plenty others who dgaf about whether others like their reviews or not.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 1494
Niced 1,630 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
You are right,probably only about 950 active members. What does that tell you ? Tim does not want to be bothered with this site. It's on automatic pilot,in case you haven't noticed.
He has basically admitted exactly this, he has reached out for help, and to quote the man himself "crickets chirping"... There has been huge potential missed in the growth of this sport recently. I do believe there is strong potential for this site to be successful in its own rite. But until somebody is able to step up and make the push, and the amount of work involved would be immense..

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=139149

Old 01-28-2022, 08:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
He has basically admitted exactly this, he has reached out for help, and to quote the man himself "crickets chirping"... There has been huge potential missed in the growth of this sport recently. I do believe there is strong potential for this site to be successful in its own rite. But until somebody is able to step up and make the push, and the amount of work involved would be immense..

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=139149
I agree.
" It's just a homebrew".
That sums up Tim's attitude to DGCR.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedmullet View Post
Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I can't speak to that
Ha ha. Why would I have an axe to grind ? I was banned for 8 months, had my course removed from the site, and have had several posts deleted. Given all that, I think I'm being pretty reasonable.