Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 70
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Best Feeling Ever...

Last night, the last hole, that last bit of light where you can barely make out the basket...I throw my drive past the basket and into some bushes. Damn. Walk down to the bushes some 300 feet away and start looking before I lose the light. No disc. keep looking...then the glimmer of a disc falls into my line of vision. I pick it up...it's a custom Innova Valkyrie, the same disc I have been wanting for a bit. It's not mine, as I am looking for my Surge.

I flip it over, kind of hoping there is no number on it, and sure enough a name. "Dudley", and a number. I call the number, it rings, and on the other end comes this kid, "Hello"?

"Dudley, this is Tom and I am finishing up a round on Goliath right now and I happened to find a very cool looking disc with your name on it."

"DUDE! My Valkyrie?! That is my favorite disc ever and I lost it the other day!"

"Yup..got it. Where are you?"

He says he is shooting some pool downtown, a few blocks from where I am staying. I tell him to hold on, I will be down in a few after I finish. I finish, drive down to the bar where he is at, and walk in. The look on his face is that of being reunited with his twin brother who might have disappeared twenty years ago. Priceless. It is his fave disc. He offers me five bucks but I hand it back and say.."Nope, I hope you would do the same."

An amazing feeling. The best yet in my disc golfing times.

...and to finish off the story, after I hung up the phone with him on the course I found my disc in the near dark. Second shot, out of the bushes about 70 feet away. CHING! A birdie in the dark. Karma.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by tomjulio; 09-19-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 35.2
Courses Played: 267
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

That was beautiful MAN! *wipes the tear out of his eye*

Actually bro that is a really great story. Way to Go!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thats awesome! That was the right thing to do ... and it payed off!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

A fairly similar story happened to me about a year or 2 back.....
I was really into throwing leopards, and when I had "cashed out", grabbed a few extra, same weight, mold, color, etc... Well was practicing driving the hole with them, and after finishing throwing them, could not find one...looked for seemed like forever, chalked it up as a lost disc. Got a phone call the next night, and could tell it was a younger kid, so I told him just keep it, I had others. He was very greatful over the phone so I felt good about it. About a week or two after that I was playing with some friends, and you have to pass by the basket on the hole where I had lost the disc at, when all the sudden I heard a "CHING"....Yep...an ace, so of course had to walk up and a)...look to see what disc was thrown...b) ..look to see if I know who did it. Well...looked at the disc, and it was the one I had lost and gave away. It ended up not being an ace afterall, he had hit some branches on his drive, but ended up making a birdie from about 175' out with it. Turns out that the disc I gave him was his first driver, he'd only been playing a month or so before that and just had a roc, and a putter. Haven't seen him on the course after that, but made me feel good that the disc got some use, and at least one happy moment from it.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 70
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool story. :-)
...you know, there is an overall great feel to disc golf as a whole. A community. Sure there is a small percentage of terds in this sport,but overall a great friendly feel. Reminds me of the early 90's when snowboarding was at the beginning of it's exponential rise. I was very lucky to be in the epicenter of that storm(sponsored) and that is exactly what disc golf feels like at the moment. Pure community.