Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-15-2017, 04:31 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got my hands on two Sparkle Lucids, and they sure are the beef. In headwind, they still try to stand up if i mash on them, but no signs of flipping over. They are both only 170g, but with a crazy poptop. Very nice discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 653 Times in 323 Posts

I got one of these as a CTP prize from our league night. 174g, Lucid, tourney-stamped. I only BH 330. I have no idea what to do with this; maybe use it for distance FH?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

^Distance FH and distance BH need the same flight shapes. So something crazy beefy isn't going to be good for distance backhand unless you have like 400' of line drive power...otherwise it's just going to teach you to torque it on an anny. Of course it can be useful for crazy FH skips and power hyzers into wind.

If you have absolutely no use for it then trade it for something more in your range. I agree though if you're throwing 330'ish then a slower OS mold will give you all the same shots and be easier to control. If you're trying to find something to do with it though try spikes, skip shots, forehand rollers, and hurricanes.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yeah the stamp is cool and I'd like to keep it, I'm just trying to find a use case. What is a hurricane? Can't say I've ever heard of that, and Googling it only comes up with the DGA mold with the same name.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

I was meaning something like if you google Texas and hurricane. High speed/super OS, never turn no matter the wind heh.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I was meaning something like if you google Texas and hurricane. High speed/super OS, never turn no matter the wind heh.
I got the joke
Old 09-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
^Distance FH and distance BH need the same flight shapes. So something crazy beefy isn't going to be good for distance backhand unless you have like 400' of line drive power...otherwise it's just going to teach you to torque it on an anny. Of course it can be useful for crazy FH skips and power hyzers into wind.

If you have absolutely no use for it then trade it for something more in your range. I agree though if you're throwing 330'ish then a slower OS mold will give you all the same shots and be easier to control. If you're trying to find something to do with it though try spikes, skip shots, forehand rollers, and hurricanes.
Oddly enough my buddy just gave me a MF Destroyer to try out. I'd had the choice between the Defender and a River Pro for a CTP prize. I already bag 2 Volts, 2 Rivers, and a Resistor and figured the River Pro wasn't getting me anything I didn't already have. Guess I'll give both the Defender and Destroyer a shot at field practice. Maybe I can trade the Defender back in if the Destroyer works for me.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts
Default Defender

Got a Defender in a trade and bagged it for 2 rounds on the course today in windy conditions. Very, very good OS driver right here. It hung tough in some pretty nasty headwinds and got good distance. There was a hint of high speed turn on some headwind shots, but not on any shots in calm or side wind conditions.

Its every bit of speed 13. The Defender is lightning fast. It also isn't a total slab of beef. The Defender will fly flat and far for a long way before fading pretty heavily. It glides well too, unlike a lot of drivers of similar stability.

I already like it better than the World or Enforcer. I really like the Defender because its predictably overstable, yet able to be cranked on for pretty big distance. It may eventually boot the champ XCal out of my bag for those types of shots. I like the XCal, but the Defender is longer, faster, and glides better. I figure I can get the Defender out to 400' on a full rip. Possibly further if I really lay into it with the right side wind conditions.

13, 5, 0, 4.

I say 0 here, but it might be more like -0.5 for high speed turn. On the hardest of rips the Defender will bend a little bit right. It stands up well to headwind and even does well in calm or side wind conditions.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 50
Niced 261 Times in 167 Posts

“It’s been a while” - Staind

Got my hands on a few defenders (and cranks, to test out against my current Enforcer/Trespass combo, maybe get a little more D) including a ~used Bio and new Fuzions and Lucids.

I was anticipating even the used Bio to be somewhat of a hog, but it was not. It bombed. Flipped up and faded. Was nice!

How’re people liking it these days?