Old 06-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 78 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Here's my conundrum. And I'd love ideas...

I like to practice when I have room on the course. That means two shots from the tee/my lie. I therefore like my bag set up in pairs -- more and less stable versions of each mold. Given my choice, I'd not have a single of any mold. So I want 2 Firebirds, 2 Roadrunners, 2 Zones (everything else already has it's twin). But I don't want to carry over 20 discs. And it would be 22 if I carried my doublesa round all the time ([171 S-FB Star Firebird. Less OS FB.] and [176 *RR. More OS hyzerflip/roller]).

As Brent has put it: "I want my practice bag and my game bag to be the same bag..."

What do you folks do for that? How do you structure your "I have this course to myself" practice?
This is exactly what I do. I tend to have about one workhorse in each slot, for me its putter/mid/fairway/OS/driver plus a pair of putting putters=7 discs. The rest of my discs are backups or complimentary pieces.

For me, my Sidewinders are my distance drivers so they fill the slot that you Destroyers and OLFs in (you probabaly throw much further than I do) but also double to handle the Roadrunner slot as my most understable discs. I also power my Firebirds down to occupy the slot you have the Zones in. So I guess that saves me a few discs. I've never thought about it that way, I just try to execute my shots with the discs I have (disc minimalism yada yada yada...). I would like to eventually be able to throw faster discs though.

So I carry 5 Putters/4 Mids/2 Fairway/2 OS Utility/1 Distance=14 discs. You carry 4 Putters/2 OS Utility/2 Fairway/4 Control/4 Distance. Quite similar! Tougher to pull off a low disc count with extra slots. My advice would be to bring the bag with all the pairs and find out which backups you use the least and trim it down to 20. I have a number of backup Sidewinders, but I've found I really like my workhorse the most. So unless I have a course where I'll want to be throwing a bunch of second shot distance shots, I'm fine with one Sidewinder. Nothing wrong with having a handful of discs that come in and out of the bag depending on the course as well.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but since we seem to have similar bags and philosophies, I thought I'd share my experience. Your most recent post looks like a good trim version.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:04 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,202 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Here's my conundrum. And I'd love ideas...

I like to practice when I have room on the course. That means two shots from the tee/my lie. I therefore like my bag set up in pairs -- more and less stable versions of each mold. Given my choice, I'd not have a single of any mold. So I want 2 Firebirds, 2 Roadrunners, 2 Zones (everything else already has it's twin). But I don't want to carry over 20 discs. And it would be 22 if I carried my doublesa round all the time ([171 S-FB Star Firebird. Less OS FB.] and [176 *RR. More OS hyzerflip/roller]).

As Brent has put it: "I want my practice bag and my game bag to be the same bag..."

What do you folks do for that? How do you structure your "I have this course to myself" practice?
I throw the first shot "for record"; it counts for my score and where my next shot will be. Then I throw other discs "to compare" with that first shot and that disc. The first disc should "win", but if it consistently doesn't.... maybe time for a bag change.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 222 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I throw the first shot "for record"; it counts for my score and where my next shot will be. Then I throw other discs "to compare" with that first shot and that disc. The first disc should "win", but if it consistently doesn't.... maybe time for a bag change.
your right the first disc should win, but sometimes on the second throw you fix what went wrong the first time and nail the line you were trying to hit (esp when throwing the same mold). this is how i practice, learn and get better.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:44 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,202 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
your right the first disc should win, but sometimes on the second throw you fix what went wrong the first time and nail the line you were trying to hit (esp when throwing the same mold). this is how i practice, learn and get better.
That happens frequently to me, as well. My solution if there is a disc "competition" is to throw one first on one hole, then the next time the situation comes up, throw the second disc first, alternating them as the "disc of record" for that shot. Over time, I'll become more comfortable with one over the other, and bag the one I like best.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2017, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 970 Times in 480 Posts

47 Holes at Dabney:

4 Star Destroyers
1 Firebird (Flat top CG)
2 1.1 SOFs
1 RR (Star)
2 Gazelles (11x and 10x)
4 Rocs (Battle, 2 KCs, 1 Ontario DX)
1 ZFLX Zone
4 Stiff flat Wizards
Old 06-30-2017, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 970 Times in 480 Posts

The BSF layout is back in at Milo for about 48 hours -- guess who will be leaving work early?

5 Destroyers (3 Star and 2 Pro)
1 Flat top Color Glow FB
2 1.1 SOFs
2 Roadrunners (Champ and Star)
2 Gazelles (11x and 10x)
4 Rocs (Kenny 4x, 2 KCs, I Ontario DX)
1 BT Hard Harp (wouldn't it be neat if this could cover Zone and Scale duties?)
3 Stiff flat Wizards
Old 06-30-2017, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,001 Times in 891 Posts

What's with that Swedish ish?
Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 181 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
What's with that Swedish ish?
*Finnish

Be careful with that Harp; it'll become your number one upshot disc in no time for both BH and FH. I carry a VIP and a BT Medium myself

Old 07-01-2017, 07:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,001 Times in 891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
*Finnish

Be careful with that Harp; it'll become your number one upshot disc in no time for both BH and FH. I carry a VIP and a BT Medium myself
Finnish company, Swedish disc and I use Wizards for all putter shots.