#231  
Old 11-21-2020, 12:15 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,134
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
Shovel and salt yourself a throwing pad?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
He won't because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Thats alright though, it is a leisure type of sport and most people just do not have nor desire the discipline or effort required to get there.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 11-21-2020, 12:27 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
He won't because...



FYI, I've been out and played for several weeks on the local course and Im the only one there. In good weather it's always packed. Now that its winter you rarely see anyone else because it's a leisure sport for 99% of them. I've been out practicing my control shots in sub zero weather wearind four layers of coats wondering what crazy nut would be doing such madness.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,134
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
FYI, I've been out and played for several weeks on the local course and Im the only one there. In good weather it's always packed. Now that its winter you rarely see anyone else because it's a leisure sport for 99% of them. I've been out practicing my control shots in sub zero weather wearind four layers of coats wondering what crazy nut would be doing such madness.
Lookout McBeth! We have your competition!
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:04 PM
txmxer txmxer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 716
Niced 569 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
You shouldn't be comparing Pierce to pro men and using that as your argument...you should be comparing yourself to Pierce.

From your videos, I'd say you are twice as big as Paige and probably twice as strong. Yet she can crush you on a drive. Using your logic, shouldn't you already be throwing farther than her?

Doesn't that fact alone tell you that strength is not the main ingredient of the secret sauce?

The fact Eagle crushes it with toothpick arms is pretty revealing as well. Simon is not exactly muscular. Almost all these MPO have a surprising amount of pudge too.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:20 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The fact Eagle crushes it with toothpick arms is pretty revealing as well. Simon is not exactly muscular. Almost all these MPO have a surprising amount of pudge too.
Disc golf isn't about strongarming it. I would be more interested in knowing the strength and type of tissue fibers in their legs, back, etc.

I've noticed since I've started playing that my leg, butt, and back muscles have changed quite a bit. Arm strength just cones down to being able to hold onto the disc as the body pulls the arm and disc through.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 11-21-2020, 05:31 PM
scooby snack scooby snack is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 132
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
You missed the point. My point I was making is that in the sport of disc golf very very few put forth any real athletic training and real effort to improve their driving ability. I don't even train to that level of a professional bicyclist and yet I train harder than pretty much everyone around where I live. It's basically a leisure sport though so it's no wonder you very rarely see disc golfers practicing for hours on end day after day at the local park. What few you do see usually end up finding forums like this. Some of us in here represent that .001%.
You’re the one missing the point. It doesn’t take serious athletic training to throw 400’.

Plenty of players throw that far without the serious athletic training that you say is required. They achieved their distance by throwing in a field while applying fundamentals and proper throwing mechanics.

You recently posted video of yourself throwing a tomahawk. You claimed no wrist involvement in tomahawk throwing, and Sidewinder proved you wrong with photos of your throw.
You asked if he can even throw a tomahawk, as if he has no business questioning what you say because you’re experienced and he’s not.

Your response shows that you’re just a troll.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 11-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,134
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post

Your response shows that you’re just a troll.
Who is constantly being fed.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 11-21-2020, 05:49 PM
scooby snack scooby snack is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 132
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Who is constantly being fed.
Egg-zactly
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 11-21-2020, 06:01 PM
SaROCaM SaROCaM is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 936
Niced 815 Times in 385 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Disc golf isn't about strongarming it. I would be more interested in knowing the strength and type of tissue fibers in their legs, back, etc.

I've noticed since I've started playing that my leg, butt, and back muscles have changed quite a bit. Arm strength just cones down to being able to hold onto the disc as the body pulls the arm and disc through.
As usual you are letting the tail wag the dog. The type of tissue fibers they have isn't what makes them successful. It is getting in the correct positions at the correct time that allows them to throw so well.

I have more strength and fast twitch muscle than those players, but they have much better timing and positioning than I do.

Also if you are so concerned about fast twitch muscles and the posterior chain, then why are you doing 100 pushups and riding a bike every day?

Sure you talk about being willing to put forth the effort, but you would be better served by focusing that effort on what is important.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #240  
Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
As usual you are letting the tail wag the dog. The type of tissue fibers they have isn't what makes them successful. It is getting in the correct positions at the correct time that allows them to throw so well.

I have more strength and fast twitch muscle than those players, but they have much better timing and positioning than I do.

Also if you are so concerned about fast twitch muscles and the posterior chain, then why are you doing 100 pushups and riding a bike every day?

Sure you talk about being willing to put forth the effort, but you would be better served by focusing that effort on what is important.
Riding the bike builds stamina, lung and heart health and leg muscle. Leg strength is absolutely essential to being proficient at disc golf.

Pushups build complete core, back, shoulder and upper body strength and conditioning. Why would someone who is performing an athletic sequence not want greater complete strength? Have you ever done pushups and took turns lifting one leg off the ground and felt all of the muscles in the lower and middle back working? Why would someone who is torquing their body not want a strengthened and conditioned back to prevent a back injury?

You can have the best timing and sequence in the world and not be able to throw very far if you don't have the fast twitch and correct muscle groups to fire powerfully. One thing always sets apart the top distance throwers from the rest of us and that's their ability to rotate from the power pocket into release very very fast. The top guys are almost a blur. You dont automatically get that with correct timing. Being able to rotate and turn fast requires correct timing but most importantly it requires fast twitch muscles to fire quickly and powerfully. It's the exact readon why the top male throwers throw several hundred feet farther than the top women throwers. Mechanics and timing get you only so far, those extra few hundred feet are all about muscular ability.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reach back as far as you can rlangton Technique & Strategy 16 01-16-2021 08:47 PM
Arm speed during reach back Darth Anovin Technique & Strategy 11 04-11-2020 09:09 AM
Turn Back, Not Reach Back Pymm Technique & Strategy 13 09-15-2016 04:21 PM
Rebounding on Reach Back TheBeardedFatGuy Technique & Strategy 21 09-02-2016 12:44 PM
More distance with less reach back... onemilemore Technique & Strategy 4 04-09-2013 05:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.