* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
Shovel and salt yourself a throwing pad?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
He won't because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Thats alright though, it is a leisure type of sport and most people just do not have nor desire the discipline or effort required to get there.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
He won't because...

FYI, I've been out and played for several weeks on the local course and Im the only one there. In good weather it's always packed. Now that its winter you rarely see anyone else because it's a leisure sport for 99% of them. I've been out practicing my control shots in sub zero weather wearind four layers of coats wondering what crazy nut would be doing such madness.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
FYI, I've been out and played for several weeks on the local course and Im the only one there. In good weather it's always packed. Now that its winter you rarely see anyone else because it's a leisure sport for 99% of them. I've been out practicing my control shots in sub zero weather wearind four layers of coats wondering what crazy nut would be doing such madness.
Lookout McBeth! We have your competition!
Old 11-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Niced 569 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
You shouldn't be comparing Pierce to pro men and using that as your argument...you should be comparing yourself to Pierce.

From your videos, I'd say you are twice as big as Paige and probably twice as strong. Yet she can crush you on a drive. Using your logic, shouldn't you already be throwing farther than her?

Doesn't that fact alone tell you that strength is not the main ingredient of the secret sauce?

The fact Eagle crushes it with toothpick arms is pretty revealing as well. Simon is not exactly muscular. Almost all these MPO have a surprising amount of pudge too.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The fact Eagle crushes it with toothpick arms is pretty revealing as well. Simon is not exactly muscular. Almost all these MPO have a surprising amount of pudge too.
Disc golf isn't about strongarming it. I would be more interested in knowing the strength and type of tissue fibers in their legs, back, etc.

I've noticed since I've started playing that my leg, butt, and back muscles have changed quite a bit. Arm strength just cones down to being able to hold onto the disc as the body pulls the arm and disc through.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
You missed the point. My point I was making is that in the sport of disc golf very very few put forth any real athletic training and real effort to improve their driving ability. I don't even train to that level of a professional bicyclist and yet I train harder than pretty much everyone around where I live. It's basically a leisure sport though so it's no wonder you very rarely see disc golfers practicing for hours on end day after day at the local park. What few you do see usually end up finding forums like this. Some of us in here represent that .001%.
You’re the one missing the point. It doesn’t take serious athletic training to throw 400’.

Plenty of players throw that far without the serious athletic training that you say is required. They achieved their distance by throwing in a field while applying fundamentals and proper throwing mechanics.

You recently posted video of yourself throwing a tomahawk. You claimed no wrist involvement in tomahawk throwing, and Sidewinder proved you wrong with photos of your throw.
You asked if he can even throw a tomahawk, as if he has no business questioning what you say because you’re experienced and he’s not.

Your response shows that you’re just a troll.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post

Your response shows that you’re just a troll.
Who is constantly being fed.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:49 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Who is constantly being fed.
Egg-zactly
Old 11-21-2020, 06:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 815 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Disc golf isn't about strongarming it. I would be more interested in knowing the strength and type of tissue fibers in their legs, back, etc.

I've noticed since I've started playing that my leg, butt, and back muscles have changed quite a bit. Arm strength just cones down to being able to hold onto the disc as the body pulls the arm and disc through.
As usual you are letting the tail wag the dog. The type of tissue fibers they have isn't what makes them successful. It is getting in the correct positions at the correct time that allows them to throw so well.

I have more strength and fast twitch muscle than those players, but they have much better timing and positioning than I do.

Also if you are so concerned about fast twitch muscles and the posterior chain, then why are you doing 100 pushups and riding a bike every day?

Sure you talk about being willing to put forth the effort, but you would be better served by focusing that effort on what is important.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
As usual you are letting the tail wag the dog. The type of tissue fibers they have isn't what makes them successful. It is getting in the correct positions at the correct time that allows them to throw so well.

I have more strength and fast twitch muscle than those players, but they have much better timing and positioning than I do.

Also if you are so concerned about fast twitch muscles and the posterior chain, then why are you doing 100 pushups and riding a bike every day?

Sure you talk about being willing to put forth the effort, but you would be better served by focusing that effort on what is important.
Riding the bike builds stamina, lung and heart health and leg muscle. Leg strength is absolutely essential to being proficient at disc golf.

Pushups build complete core, back, shoulder and upper body strength and conditioning. Why would someone who is performing an athletic sequence not want greater complete strength? Have you ever done pushups and took turns lifting one leg off the ground and felt all of the muscles in the lower and middle back working? Why would someone who is torquing their body not want a strengthened and conditioned back to prevent a back injury?

You can have the best timing and sequence in the world and not be able to throw very far if you don't have the fast twitch and correct muscle groups to fire powerfully. One thing always sets apart the top distance throwers from the rest of us and that's their ability to rotate from the power pocket into release very very fast. The top guys are almost a blur. You dont automatically get that with correct timing. Being able to rotate and turn fast requires correct timing but most importantly it requires fast twitch muscles to fire quickly and powerfully. It's the exact readon why the top male throwers throw several hundred feet farther than the top women throwers. Mechanics and timing get you only so far, those extra few hundred feet are all about muscular ability.