Old 01-04-2020, 02:06 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Doesn't this guy play ball golf too? I'm sure has some idea about on course etiquette...
Yes but some accidental NICE! that is so loud after a player on his card makes an amazing putt or some amazing shot to the point that he is bothering all other players including on the hole furthest from one his card is on and has to get Courtesy Violation for his voice taking as loud as some non mic'ed up metal singers would be. If not that then the Bleep words loud enough to get caught on camera or heard by players using the Bleeped words for missing an easy putt or some easy shot. If Nikko Locastro can get a few of these Curse Courtesy Violations in his earlier career then, Brodie definitely will.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-04-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,078 Times in 1,875 Posts

It's all good as long as Brodie only yells, "My Life!".

Old 01-04-2020, 06:34 AM
Par Member

Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Define exploit. I tend to agree with him about BS.
Short version:

I do not believe the word exploit is the focus. The contentious part of JTs post is "us" and "Wake me up when he's really about dg and the culture..." - with JTs similar position to Brodie in the first place it reads as sour grapes.

Sour Grapes - used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves.

Longer version:

I have no delusions/predictions that Brodie will take disc golf seriously at all. There is good chance that BS does intend to use disc golf as his next adventure, which would be reflected on one of his YT channels. BS may intend to do exactly what JT said - use disc golf for ad revenue. The problem is that JT lives in a very similar space and is "marginalizing" Brodie with prejudice.

Defining exploit is interesting:

1. make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource)
2. use (a situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way

I think many correctly associate the word with the second definition in this case since JT leads in with "Wake me up when he's really about dg and the culture..." as if his personal definition of "dg culture" is some sort of qualifier or prerequisite to profit off of or even participate in the sport.

Add to that - JT, in his own words, will define TDs, staff and volunteers as "marginalized" while "exploiting" them at every turn himself. Unless JT is sharing his profits off of these peoples efforts, this is virtue signaling at its finest.

Would I agree that BS may intend to create YT content and earn ad revenue? Yes. I do not view this as a negative.

JT paints Brodie's intentions in a negative light by advocating the idea that BS is required to prove something to us by demanding that he is "about the dg culture", while insinuating that there is some sort of disc golf street cred' that needs to be earned to create disc golf content or profit off of the sport. Add to that, JTs "Wake me up when..." acting as if he is the gatekeeper of what is, and is not, an acceptable approach to disc golf media or participation in the sport overall.

JTs opinions have consistently been pompous and in this case you can add very asinine.

This is my opinion as I do not claim to speak for us.

Last edited by Chains Bailey; 01-04-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 95 Times in 42 Posts

My guess is that Brodie was pompous and condescending during the Avery filming, and this left a bad impression with JT....

However, Chains Bailey nailed it with his summary of JT’s take and overall demeanor...

For someone who shares his former boss’s pretentious “only I can see the big picture” pov he sure seems to be missing the possible benefits to more views for disc golf...

Full disclosure: the Brodie/Avery vid was the first and last Brodie vid I watched...not my cup of tea.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 660 Times in 350 Posts

Hot take.....
Lloyd Weema could sell more discs (albeit for probably different reasons) than Brodie Smith.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 42.8
Niced 90 Times in 29 Posts

Superhuman! starts at 28.58

Niced: (2)
Old 01-04-2020, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,361 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Hot take.....
Lloyd Weema could sell more discs (albeit for probably different reasons) than Brodie Smith.
I would be a hell of a lot more likely to buy a Lloyd disc.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:52 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Hot take.....
I mentioned this in another thread:

...wonder if a company putting a very reasonable investment in the "Underdog", think LLoyd Weema, would pay off?

Hypothetical - Pay Lloyd's entry fees and lodging for 15 of the largest events = $5000ish' - could they sell over that in signature Weema' plastic?

I guess it is a risk - sponsoring Weema may backfire and be seen as diminishing the "Quality" of that brand or people may see the FUN in the idea and jump on board. Maybe the same applies to the risk of signing a person like Brodie.

I imagine any live broadcast having a camera on Lloyd's group and doing check-ins in between action on the lead cards. Short replays of highlights (failed throws and putts), but treated with the same level of professionalism as the lead cards.

New dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, _________, __________?
Old 01-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Par Member

To the above post - I guess they would need to record Lloyds round as it is going to be way earlier in the day. Maybe that would work in their favor and have clips already edited to play during breaks in the live action. Also, the new ratings limits would keep Weema out of the events all together.

I am going to have to create a "Free Weema" campaign for 2020.

Updated dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, Casey 1988 (REQUIRED INTERVIEW),___________?

Old 01-05-2020, 06:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,212 Times in 474 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
I mentioned this in another thread:

...wonder if a company putting a very reasonable investment in the "Underdog", think LLoyd Weema, would pay off?

Hypothetical - Pay Lloyd's entry fees and lodging for 15 of the largest events = $5000ish' - could they sell over that in signature Weema' plastic?

I guess it is a risk - sponsoring Weema may backfire and be seen as diminishing the "Quality" of that brand or people may see the FUN in the idea and jump on board. Maybe the same applies to the risk of signing a person like Brodie.

I imagine any live broadcast having a camera on Lloyd's group and doing check-ins in between action on the lead cards. Short replays of highlights (failed throws and putts), but treated with the same level of professionalism as the lead cards.

New dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, _________, __________?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
To the above post - I guess they would need to record Lloyds round as it is going to be way earlier in the day. Maybe that would work in their favor and have clips already edited to play during breaks in the live action. Also, the new ratings limits would keep Weema out of the events all together.

I am going to have to create a "Free Weema" campaign for 2020.

Updated dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, Casey 1988 (REQUIRED INTERVIEW),___________?
The "Weema" idea is a really good one, imo. As long as he's OK with it and it's not done in an offensive way towards him. I do think there would be a market for that. And mixing his shots in during breaks of live streaming would really improve those gaps.
Look at Cubby, RIP. When he was first discovered people bitched and moaned about all the aces, then he became someone who represented the fun part of the sport. Now there's a shot named after him.
Something similar could happen with Weema.