#21  
Old 03-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Meillo's Avatar
Meillo Meillo is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ulm, Germany
Posts: 273
Niced 99 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteveisnotdead View Post
I think if a hole allows for a clean hyzer with something overstable and you have the required power to reach the pin, that shot is the preferred shot.
That's what many pros do. Still, you have to take other factors into the equation, like wind and terrain (avoiding skips and such). Thus, it's not that easy, and holes without obstructions are rare (and boring).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
takman's Avatar
takman takman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 451
Niced 87 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteveisnotdead View Post
I think if a hole allows for a clean hyzer with something overstable and you have the required power to reach the pin, that shot is the preferred shot. For many people, understability will give extra distance which can give a birdie look on a similar line as opposed to a par. For wooded courses or specific lines, you need understability to be able to minimize fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree, I have played with many people of different skill levels that do not prefer the clean hyzer if allowed, it's a personal preference based on your abilities and throwing motion.

Sent from my desk....should be working

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-28-2018, 04:17 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,870
Niced 1,627 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Disagree, I have played with many people of different skill levels that do not prefer the clean hyzer if allowed, it's a personal preference based on your abilities and throwing motion.
When I was learning and watching lots of tourney footage, I had to set out to practice hyzers because it's all I saw the pro's doing. It was definitely not the best option for me initially, it's 100% a practiced shot that you need to be good at. Once you've practiced it and you actually start having the gut feeling "I'm going to hyzer this" when you're out in the open and have no restrictions, then you know that you're comfortable with it and it's likely your best bet.

The hyzer flight is definitely the most reproducible/forgiving line, but I also agree that in no way does it mean it is every player's best option depending on their skill set. However with some effort it likely would be for many situations. I've played with some people who would rather flex a Tern for 280', to get a low straight flight and minimize fade, rather than hyzer a Teebird even though they have the arm speed to do so. 100% they are better off with the Tern shot at that time since they've thrown it so many times...but if they practiced the Teebird hyzer for a few afternoons I bet they would consistently score better over time. But you know what, they got to have fun with what they're doing too.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by slowplastic; 03-28-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Monocacy's Avatar
Monocacy Monocacy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,318
Niced 190 Times in 96 Posts
Default

The other advantage of throwing a hyzer is that errors are partially self-correcting.

Hold on to a RHBH hyzer too long and the disc will fly higher and farther right. The higher flight gives the disc more room to fade, reducing the right-left error.

Release a RHBH hyzer too early and the disc flies lower and not as far right. The lower flight gives the disc less time to fade, reducing the right-left error.

This is assuming that the release error does not send the disc into a tree.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-28-2018, 06:33 PM
takman's Avatar
takman takman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 451
Niced 87 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
When I was learning and watching lots of tourney footage, I had to set out to practice hyzers because it's all I saw the pro's doing. It was definitely not the best option for me initially, it's 100% a practiced shot that you need to be good at. Once you've practiced it and you actually start having the gut feeling "I'm going to hyzer this" when you're out in the open and have no restrictions, then you know that you're comfortable with it and it's likely your best bet.

The hyzer flight is definitely the most reproducible/forgiving line, but I also agree that in no way does it mean it is every player's best option depending on their skill set. However with some effort it likely would be for many situations. I've played with some people who would rather flex a Tern for 280', to get a low straight flight and minimize fade, rather than hyzer a Teebird even though they have the arm speed to do so. 100% they are better off with the Tern shot at that time since they've thrown it so many times...but if they practiced the Teebird hyzer for a few afternoons I bet they would consistently score better over time. But you know what, they got to have fun with what they're doing too.
You lost me somewhere in your second paragraph, but OK.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-28-2018, 06:34 PM
takman's Avatar
takman takman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 451
Niced 87 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
The other advantage of throwing a hyzer is that errors are partially self-correcting.

Hold on to a RHBH hyzer too long and the disc will fly higher and farther right. The higher flight gives the disc more room to fade, reducing the right-left error.

Release a RHBH hyzer too early and the disc flies lower and not as far right. The lower flight gives the disc less time to fade, reducing the right-left error.

This is assuming that the release error does not send the disc into a tree.
What you are talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-28-2018, 07:00 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,870
Niced 1,627 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
What you are talking about?
It's exactly why a hyzer takes so many mistakes out of play.

If you try to throw a flat straight shot and griplock it right, it will end up like 30-50' right. You early release, same thing but way left. If you griplock a hyzer it just goes higher up on the same line/angle, and will fade to nearly the same place. Same with minor early releases, they will come out lower but on the same angle and have a more line drive hyzer toward the same point. Although if you early release a very OS hyzer shot bad enough then sometimes you can get a skip rather than have it dig in like anticipated.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-28-2018, 07:17 PM
armiller's Avatar
armiller armiller is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: West Virginia
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,613
Niced 457 Times in 318 Posts
Default

The tomahawk is definitely the most accurate (and happen to be with overstable discs) shot, barring wind conditions.




I happily missed most of this discussion. But all I want to add is that a Teebird is one of my most accurate discs (non-tomahawk, that is ), and I'd call it overstable, even when I throw it straight. Maybe it's different from your Teebirds, but the basic absence of turn yet straight flight and predictable non-Firebird fade is one reason I love it. I don't throw Rocs, but aren't fresh KC Pros about the same thing in a mid-range?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Monocacy's Avatar
Monocacy Monocacy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,318
Niced 190 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
What you are talking about?
This is a quote from DGCR archives in 2010 - perhaps it will explain better than I did:

Quote:
If you release a bit late (like I can do) it will go higher, more right, and fade back bigger - right near the spot you were aimming for

If you release a bit early (like I do) it will not go as high, not fade as big - right near the spot you were aimming for
Or quoting myself from 2014 (I did have a sense of deja vu about this discussion):

Quote:
Hyzers are somewhat self-correcting. If you throw hyzer and release late, the disc will fly wider and higher, resulting in more fade. Often with hyzers a "bad" shot will wind up in about the same place as a good shot, just taking a different flight path.
Does that help?

Edit: Slowplastic types faster than me.
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,544
Niced 277 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
It's exactly why a hyzer takes so many mistakes out of play.

If you try to throw a flat straight shot and griplock it right, it will end up like 30-50' right. You early release, same thing but way left. If you griplock a hyzer it just goes higher up on the same line/angle, and will fade to nearly the same place. Same with minor early releases, they will come out lower but on the same angle and have a more line drive hyzer toward the same point. Although if you early release a very OS hyzer shot bad enough then sometimes you can get a skip rather than have it dig in like anticipated.
I'm ether parked or I'm not. I don't really care how not parked I am. Flat shot gets me parked a higher percentage of the time. I may end up an extra 30' when I mess up, but that doesn't matter.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
🔥bird vs felon overstability Toznak Discs 5 11-30-2015 02:53 PM
Got the Case of the Mundays- CE's MrRaider The Marketplace 6 10-02-2012 10:36 AM
Teebird Overstability: 12x vs Standard Everstreet121 Discs 6 09-22-2012 12:51 AM
Kindle DX with Case ViolaBouquet The Flea Market 1 03-30-2012 11:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.