Old 05-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfire25 View Post
I'm so confused as to why this is a thing. I'm going to shoot what I shoot on a hole regardless if the hole says its a par 3 or 6. It feels good to say that I hit a birdie, but it feels even better to know I hit the line I wanted to get that bird.

I do think that no matter what the course par is, tournaments should be played as 54(on 18 holes). It's hard enough for the geniuses to figure that part out.

I really like the idea of ratings based pars on all tee signs. I just don't see how it would work with an ever changing course layout. If dg was big enough I could see an app that takes all scores from previous tourneys and making a par per hole based on player ratings. I would love to see what I would need to shoot in my division to have won the previous tourney. Or play against e-Mac when someone doesn't show.
That really defeats the purpose. The main point if par is so that, during tournaments you can tell who is winning regardless of who has done which hole
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 124
Niced 742 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reposado View Post
That really defeats the purpose. The main point if par is so that, during tournaments you can tell who is winning regardless of who has done which hole
I don't know if that's the main point. After all, it only applies to the very small percentage of events that are reporting hole-by-hole scores, and only matters if anyone is paying attention to those results.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

If dg was to the point where all pars were consistent could we run a tournament at multiple courses at one time? I guess weather would be the biggest factor but it would be awesome to see a huge tournament that spans the country with payouts in the tens of thousands range.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 119
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
If dg was to the point where all pars were consistent could we run a tournament at multiple courses at one time? I guess weather would be the biggest factor but it would be awesome to see a huge tournament that spans the country with payouts in the tens of thousands range.
Already been done, with the Global Ratings Event. Same diff. I believe about 10 million to 30 million took part, if memory serves.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 43 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
this kinda just happened for the women
http://www.pdga.com/women/global-event
Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 346
Niced 210 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
No, because even with consistent pars, SSA's will show that some courses simply play tougher than others.

That, and since the PDGA is already using round ratings to determine the outcome of such an event, which I think turned out pretty good, using an inferior system would be pointless.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 494 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
No, because even with consistent pars, SSA's will show that some courses simply play tougher than others.
What do you mean?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 346
Niced 210 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
What do you mean?
What I mean is statistically, that two courses (or even two different tee-pin layouts on the same course), even ones that under PDGA guidelines (or any theoretically better one) would produce the same par arrangement, are not going to produce the same ability to score well, and therefore it would not be appropriate to use par as a means of determining a winner between two people who didn't play the same layout, especially when there's already a better system for doing that already in place.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.6
Courses Played: 388
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 96 Times in 58 Posts

The Par Encyclopedia thread also has a great deal of good information on this subject.
"Why Par is Necessary" might be thought provoking to some people.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 494 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
What I mean is statistically, that two courses (or even two different tee-pin layouts on the same course), even ones that under PDGA guidelines (or any theoretically better one) would produce the same par arrangement, are not going to produce the same ability to score well, and therefore it would not be appropriate to use par as a means of determining a winner between two people who didn't play the same layout, especially when there's already a better system for doing that already in place.
Maybe I don't know what you mean by "ability to score well". I thought that was exactly what should be measured to set par.