Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 350
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 45 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainedwraith View Post
Any good local brewery suggestions? I know there is no shortage of them along my travels so I'll take some brewery suggestions as well.
Asheville has plenty of choices, Wicked Weed is the best. Asheville brewery not only has good beer but also great pizza. I didn't care for Green Man brewery.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 121
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
Have you looked into Panther Creek?
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9055
That one is making me reconsider our route up to the cabin. When we leave ATL we can either go I85 and go through the Greenville area or drive north up 75 and go through TN and connect to I26 in Kingsport. The TN route would add a little more drive time and I have to make sure my wife and kids will enjoy "something" that we stop and do along the way as well.

If we drive up through TN from ATL I also wouldn't likely play Little Mulberry Park, so that would get swapped out with a course on the NW side of ATL, such as Oregon Park or Etowah maybe?

So already a potential itinerary amendment: Little Mulberry Park Saturday afternoon & Grand Central Station Sunday morning OR Oregon Park/Etowah Saturday afternoon & Panther Creek Sunday morning. Which course combo would you guys choose?
Old 03-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I'm also still a little undecided on what other course to play on the same day trip as Harmon Hills.

Warriors Path?
Winged Deer?
Sugar Hollow?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 311
Niced 390 Times in 166 Posts

you might want to take a look at rainfall totals in the region. much of the TN river valley has gotten 10 inch of rain in the last month. A farther east route would likely be dryer. http://water.weather.gov/precip/
Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Well, looks like we are little snowed in at the moment, but I did get to play a few new courses on the trip so far:

Tyus Park in Griffin, GA
Tyger River Park in Duncan, SC
Jackson Park in Hendersonville, NC
Mars Hill University DGC, Mars Hill, NC (played before in 2012)

I'm bummed that the weather is most likely ruining my chance of making it to Harmon Hills tomorrow afternoon.

We head to Charlotte on Friday and hopefully I can play the redesigned Hornet's Nest before we check into our hotel.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,918 Times in 926 Posts

It's spring. There can't be snow.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 51
Niced 177 Times in 118 Posts

Dang, I wish I had kept up with this thread; there's several good brewery options, including one with a 9 hole disc golf course (it eventually will be 18 holes and isn't your typical pitch and putt course). If y'all ever head back through, try to be in Greenville on a Friday or Saturday, as Golden Grove Farm and Brew is the brewery with the course and they're usually only open those two days (might be Thursdays now, follow them on Facebook). Anderson, SC, has the Baurnhaus (specialize in sours and native yeast ales, but have guest taps), with four main breweries in Greenville (Thomas Creek, Quest, Brewery 85, and Birds Fly South Ale Project). Spartanburg has RJ Rockers and there are several other outlying breweries (I know there's one in Travelers Rest with Swamp Rabbit in the name, and New Groove Artisan Brewery in Boiling Springs.

While in Asheville, definitely try to hit up Highland Brewing and take the tour. It's free and starts out with free samples of Gaelic Ale while hearing their history spiel, plus the taproom is super cool and their beer is amazing.

Definitely put Little Mulberry on your list for next time. I usually stop there whenever I'm in the ATL since it's right off I85, and it's an incredibly fun course to play. Lots of great woods shots without insanely tight fairways, couple holes where you can really open up and throw, and some serious two shot par 4s.

Also, Grand Central has 5 new holes (and one more "new" hole which combines a tee and basket from two adjacent holes) for two overlapping layouts.

Hope the snow doesn't dappen the fun too much and safe travels!