Old 09-13-2020, 03:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,463 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I'm not seeing your hips rotate here. Am I missing something?
At least 90 degrees of hip rotation and 180 shoulder rotation from start to finish.

Top of backswing - butt facing targetward, shoulder turned back behind hip, rear leg turned back.
Hit - butt has turned away from the target, rear foot/knee/hip/shoulder squared up at release.
Finish - butt turned fully away from target belt buckle to target, rear shoe laces facing target, rear shoulder pointed at target, front foot pivot pointed at target.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 12:13 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
I'm not seeing your hips rotate here. Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
At least 90 degrees of hip rotation and 180 shoulder rotation from start to finish.

Top of backswing - butt facing targetward, shoulder turned back behind hip, rear leg turned back.
Hit - butt has turned away from the target, rear foot/knee/hip/shoulder squared up at release.
Finish - butt turned fully away from target belt buckle to target, rear shoe laces facing target, rear shoulder pointed at target, front foot pivot pointed at target.

I don't mean to be critical in what I see but it really appears in the video you are throwing your arm into release and then your hips drag around which tells me it's an all arm drill. It's like one is promoting that the hip turn is a reaction to the arm release. I've watched your one leg drill and in the slow motion part in the beginning, from rear angle, you can see where the rear leg is critical in starting proper hip rotation which gives the right kinetic chain. In that video you can see that as your weight has transitioned to your front leg, the hips have already started to rotate forward while the disc is still back. In the other video of crush the can where your rear leg isn't involved it appears it's your arm the is dragging the hips around. I'm suggesting that it's just not possible to properly initiate hip rotation, at the right time, without the rear leg initiating it. Thus, if you take the critical trigger out, you can't achieve the right kinetic chain. I will bet that in the crush the can drill where the rear leg isn't involved to initiate proper hip rotation you can't drive for distance because it will be all arm.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I don't mean to be critical in what I see but it really appears in the video you are throwing your arm into release and then your hips drag around which tells me it's an all arm drill. It's like one is promoting that the hip turn is a reaction to the arm release. I've watched your one leg drill and in the slow motion part in the beginning, from rear angle, you can see where the rear leg is critical in starting proper hip rotation which gives the right kinetic chain. In that video you can see that as your weight has transitioned to your front leg, the hips have already started to rotate forward while the disc is still back. In the other video of crush the can where your rear leg isn't involved it appears it's your arm the is dragging the hips around. I'm suggesting that it's just not possible to properly initiate hip rotation, at the right time, without the rear leg initiating it. Thus, if you take the critical trigger out, you can't achieve the right kinetic chain. I will bet that in the crush the can drill where the rear leg isn't involved to initiate proper hip rotation you can't drive for distance because it will be all arm.
My weight never leaves the front foot in one leg drill, so I don't know what you are talking about with weightshift.

Gravity and front hip extension/squatting swivels the pelvis and swings the shoulder/arm like a trebuchet.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:11 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
My weight never leaves the front foot in one leg drill, so I don't know what you are talking about with weightshift.

Gravity and front hip extension/squatting swivels the pelvis and swings the shoulder/arm like a trebuchet.
If that's what you believe. Post a video showing how far you can throw balancing only on your front leg. You can't even touch your rear foot on the ground first.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
If that's what you believe. Post a video showing how far you can throw balancing only on your front leg. You can't even touch your rear foot on the ground first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMwiBkvrkg#t=4m20s
Old 09-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
????
Old 09-14-2020, 10:56 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

I was getting some pretty consistent 180 feet yesterday with a putter on one leg throws. That doesn't compare to sw22's 340 with a Teebird but as my longest putter is still only 200 feet i'd say I'm close.

The nose down throws went that far effortlessly. I did some with almost straight arm swings and they went just as far. I think because the wrist was flipping. But i quickly lost the feel for that. I thought I was really onto something for a bit but then...

(The reason I threw a few with straight arm swing is because on the course this weekend I ended up stuck in a bush with no way to do a normal swing, and I did a short slow straight arm anny with a lot of wrist, and it ended up going really really far.)

Niced: (1)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 63 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
????
Dude this guy got me throwing from 300' to 480'. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
Dude this guy got me throwing from 300' to 480'. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I know he's smart and his throwing technique is good from his videos. I just think the translation process of how one really throws and how they think one should throw is slightly off. That does make a big difference.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 816 Times in 386 Posts

Quote:
I know he's smart and his throwing technique is good from his videos. I just think the translation process of how one really throws and how they think one should throw is slightly off. That does make a big difference.
Back/drive leg is pushing straight toward the target; not initiating rotation, but initiating forward drive and weight shift that will result in rotation. Rotation is an effect.

Front leg is bracing and front hip drives rotation.

One leg drill is for getting the feel of getting on the front leg to rotate. If you want to feel it without the rear leg, then stand on the front leg with back leg off the ground and push forward off a wall with your back arm. This forward drive will get you on your front leg so you can do the one leg drill without using the back leg. Since it is your arm pushing forward, you will be able to see how it is not the rear leg rotating the pelvis since. Rear foot in the one leg drill is just what is needed for balance. Weight should be on the front leg.

Last edited by SaROCaM; 09-14-2020 at 05:28 PM.