Old 09-17-2020, 12:08 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Milo was former baseball player turned golf instructor and smasher and would disagree with you. Athletic motion is basically all the same, just tasked to using different tools.
No, they are different. Perhaps athleticism translates better crossing over from one sport to another by a trained athlete but different sports require different skill sets and mechanics, timing, mentality, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 12:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,470 Times in 2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
My experience with baseball as a coach led me to try LHBH and I equated it naturally to a baseball swing. It just felt natural.
Quote:
No, they are different. Perhaps athleticism translates better crossing over from one sport to another by a trained athlete but different sports require different skill sets and mechanics, timing, mentality, etc.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:48 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 254 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
The kinematic sequence is essentially the same with all activities, the tool you are using or the task might be different and requires some adjustments but it does not change the way you are generating power. It΄d be crazy if human body had a different sequence for every task.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
The kinematic sequence is essentially the same with all activities, the tool you are using or the task might be different and requires some adjustments but it does not change the way you are generating power. It΄d be crazy if human body had a different sequence for every task.
So, my son was very good at pitching, the best around where we live, threw really hard and had the best breaking ball and changeup, but he had average bat speed, hit very few homeruns and was an average hitter. He sucks at hockey, was decent at basketball, is decent to good at disc golf, not very good at golf though, was average at soccer, and never played football but can throw it good. He is very athletic.

Point being that if it was true that those kinematic sequences are the same across sports, his fastball velocity should equate to easy 500-600+ feet backhand shots in disc golf. He is just around 400 feet now, been playing a year.

Truthfully, each motion in different sports requires different mechanics and skills. Just because you are ace in one means nothing on being able to be ace on the rest.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:28 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
So, how good are you at tennis?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:20 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 254 Times in 141 Posts

So does your son pitch backhanded?

Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,470 Times in 2,712 Posts

Quote:
So, how good are you at tennis?
Haven't played it about 30 years, I had a great one handed forehand, and I think my one handed backhand would be pretty good now.

Schwebby played tennis in college and won USDGC distance contest. Most every tennis player I've met in disc golf is pretty good at smashing discs.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

I am not so sure that tennis backhand is correct especially on the spin part - it seems in direct conflict with high speed video which shows the ball over the net before that wrist rotation occurs. Regardless though he does have a smooth swing and gets onto that forward leg.

But I would wonder about two things based on his video.

He wants the angle of wrist and racket to remain until release. Sounds reasonable, that's like lag in golf or throwing from the far side of the disc. But is it held deliberately with muscle, or naturally by the geometry of the motion? Same thing with the release - he implies it is a deliberate action rather than caused by the mechanics. Maybe it can be done either way - see Homer Kelley maybe.

Second thing, his angle is between forearm and racket, while ours is between forearm and disc rim, but we also bend the elbow. He doesn't (there is a method in ball golf that does, but they don't bend the wrist). There's a theoretical advantage to a straight arm swing, in that shoulder elbow and wrist are forced to be coplanar, and maybe disc golf beginners could benefit from starting that way?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 547
Niced 1,054 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
So, my son was very good at pitching, the best around where we live, threw really hard and had the best breaking ball and changeup, but he had average bat speed, hit very few homeruns and was an average hitter. He sucks at hockey, was decent at basketball, is decent to good at disc golf, not very good at golf though, was average at soccer, and never played football but can throw it good. He is very athletic.

Point being that if it was true that those kinematic sequences are the same across sports, his fastball velocity should equate to easy 500-600+ feet backhand shots in disc golf. He is just around 400 feet now, been playing a year.

Truthfully, each motion in different sports requires different mechanics and skills. Just because you are ace in one means nothing on being able to be ace on the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
So does your son pitch backhanded?

Good pitching mechanics would translate to forehand throwing skills. Good batting technique translates to backhand power. Good outfielding skills translate to overhead throwing skills. Since your son was an average hitter, he should have an average backhand.
How well does your son throw side arm?

There are a couple of disc golfers in my area that are pitchers in college and both have wicked side arm speed and distance. We clocked them at over 70 mph.

How fast did your son pitch in his glory days?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Good pitching mechanics would translate to forehand throwing skills. Good batting technique translates to backhand power. Good outfielding skills translate to overhead throwing skills. Since your son was an average hitter, he should have an average backhand.
How well does your son throw side arm?

There are a couple of disc golfers in my area that are pitchers in college and both have wicked side arm speed and distance. We clocked them at over 70 mph.

How fast did your son pitch in his glory days?
He has about the same forehand max distance- around 400 feet. His fastball was 90mph back in high school.

Last edited by RoDeO; 09-17-2020 at 09:58 AM.