Old 09-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Par Member

Niced 32 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Nothing against your athleticism but PP probably, most undoubtedly, has a greater set of the correct muscle groups that fire quicker than yours. ...

There's no doubt I will hit 450 feet at some point within the next year or two. My goal is to hit 400 feet before snow flies this year. I think I will get there, I'm only 25 feet from that with my max distance now.
Point taken, it is possible that PP can out muscle me in specific ways that really count for a disc golf throw, but I doubt that that is the primary difference between her throw and mine. But I guess neither of us can prove the other wrong on that point so we'll just have to wait and see if you hit your 450 foot goal within the year. If you do, I'll eat my words, but until then it might be prudent to not carry yourself with more certainty than you've earned on the field, and i'm not sure what you have to prove by speaking like an authority on something you haven't yet accomplished.

For what it's worth, I used to have pretty much the exact same mindset as you when it came to the throw. I managed to incrementally improve from 340 ft up to about 25 feet short of 400 by just going out and working on timing and snap and honing those muscles and trying to rotate as fast as I could. But I've been stuck at that same level for years now, and was forced to recognize that I might have some fundamental misconceptions about the throw, despite how "right" they felt.

Best of luck to you, enjoy your time on the field!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:56 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocHucker View Post
Point taken, it is possible that PP can out muscle me in specific ways that really count for a disc golf throw, but I doubt that that is the primary difference between her throw and mine. But I guess neither of us can prove the other wrong on that point so we'll just have to wait and see if you hit your 450 foot goal within the year. If you do, I'll eat my words, but until then it might be prudent to not carry yourself with more certainty than you've earned on the field, and i'm not sure what you have to prove by speaking like an authority on something you haven't yet accomplished.

For what it's worth, I used to have pretty much the exact same mindset as you when it came to the throw. I managed to incrementally improve from 340 ft up to about 25 feet short of 400 by just going out and working on timing and snap and honing those muscles and trying to rotate as fast as I could. But I've been stuck at that same level for years now, and was forced to recognize that I might have some fundamental misconceptions about the throw, despite how "right" they felt.

Best of luck to you, enjoy your time on the field!
The one thing I admire about PP above almost all others is you can see by just watching her play that she has obviously worked very hard to put forth more effort into everything she does including her rotation velocity. Others will have a hard time matching her because they just aren't willing to put forth the effort she puts in.

Most of us are basically weekend warriors who either don't have the time to put in the effort or don't have the drive to put in the effort. I'm fine with that. I throw on most days before work and on my lunch hour. I rarely throw in the evenings because of my ecclesiastical calling and home duties. That's probably most people on average. If I get to 400 feet and that's all that's in the tank, I'm perfectly fine with that. I know I'm getting older and my joints aren't nearly what they used to be. But I do work very hard in the time I do each day to be the best I can be- put in the effort most aren't willing to. The other mornibg it was pretty cold with a hard frost(32 degrees)and breezy and what am I doing? Throwing the disc into the headwind and trying to find the best hyzer angle so it will even go somewhere. I finally warmed up after an hour of throwing and finally on my last throw, with an extreme hyzer angle I finally got a full flight out of the disc. Then I went to work. I love throwing, thats the bottom line. It don't matter what distance I finally achieve. Im happy where I'm at and what I'm doing. It's now pretty fun to just see how far its possible to throw. Each week I get surprised by a throw where Im like- holy cow, where did that come from? That was awesome! It's what drives me. There's days when I play finesse king and just throw soft and gentle and other days where Im trying to throw it so hard it maybe catches on fire and incinerates as it leaves the atmosphere.

The most interesting part for me in all this throwing, is it feels like I could do it all day long, it doesn't hurt at all to throw, I can just do it over and over all the day long. When I first started I had to work through the typical pains of getting muscles doing new things and they did get sore. But now that I've conditioned my body, I feel like the Energizer Bunny. I get excited and want to share what I've learned and am going through because I hear so many hitting these plateaus and getting sore and I just want to maybe throw a few ideas out there. Everyone I have played with can't believe I'm right handed but play left handed and learned it in such a short time. I'm by no means a great player, probably just average. My greatest strength I believe that others notice also is how clean I release the disc. I think it's one readon I can get easy distance. I could never throw that good right handed even though I'm dominant right handed.

Mark my words though, within the next two years I will hit 450 and it won't be because I had yo start all over with my mechanics, it will be because of using the mechanics I have and smoothing out the bumps and getting stronger and quicker in the process.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,626 Times in 837 Posts

Your pursuit of 450' is a worthy quest, rodeo. Keep us posted on your progress with updates every 6 months or so.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:54 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Your pursuit of 450' is a worthy quest, rodeo. Keep us posted on your progress with updates every 6 months or so.
Will do.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,436 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote:
The one thing I admire about PP above almost all others is you can see by just watching her play that she has obviously worked very hard to put forth more effort into everything she does including her rotation velocity. Others will have a hard time matching her because they just aren't willing to put forth the effort she puts in.

Most of us are basically weekend warriors who either don't have the time to put in the effort or don't have the drive to put in the effort.
Most of the top pros like PP, Eagle, Simon have been playing since they were born basically. Big difference between learning anything as a kid vs adult and also having parents that play.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-30-2020, 01:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,436 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote:
True, but if one is throwing pain free and it feels smooth then why would he change?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTSD_nkZaA&t=3m35s
Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Conversation has been a lot about me, let's shift it. Do you ever feel your own mechanics may not be all that? You seem pretty confident that your mechanics are close to perfect. What distance can you consistantly hit in the open fairway? Do you throw pain free and smooth? Im just curious to know.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Most of the top pros like PP, Eagle, Simon have been playing since they were born basically. Big difference between learning anything as a kid vs adult and also having parents that play.
Quote:
Wie began playing golf at the age of four. In 2000, at the age of ten, she became the youngest player ever to qualify for the U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links Championship.
Michelle Wie at age 13 was hitting 300 yard drives, something not that common for strong men. I think it was due to precision in alignment, precision in timing.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 815 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Conversation has been a lot about me, let's shift it. Do you ever feel your own mechanics may not be all that? You seem pretty confident that your mechanics are close to perfect. What distance can you consistantly hit in the open fairway? Do you throw pain free and smooth? Im just curious to know.
Not SW22, but again, you are shifting the burden where it doesn't belong. The one making the extraordinary claims carries the burden of proof.

Here are some observations:

His one leg drill with a fairway driver goes about as far as your full run up throw with a distance driver.

Others (even just in this thread) throw midranges, some even putters, that match or put your driver distance to shame.

People throwing 450', 500'+ are following/have followed advice from SW.

Those who throw far also give the same or substantially similar advice.

People who are paid to study, analyze, and improve athletic performance promote the same or substantially similar principles.

It isn't that your approach can't work, it's just that there isn't any solid evidence that following what you are saying will lead to 450-500'. Throwing mid-300s in 3 months doesn't mean much. Some people throw that far right away. Doesn't mean they understand how and/or can teach others to throw far.

Go put in your time and effort like you talk about and when you get to 450'+ you can come back and talk with some authority/credibility about what you learned and what works to get to that point.

Until then the perception may be that you are someone on the earlier part of the graphical representation of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by SaROCaM; 10-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 570 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:

He has tons of videos of different courses he’s played. Why don’t you check them out? Watch a few rounds of his. It’s motivating.