Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
PS Does ball golf include penalties in whatever they use for ratings?
They use Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) to cap individual hole scores based on your handicap. If you have a 2-stroke penalty or more in a hole score, that score will be used if it falls at or below your ESC for the par on that hole. If your score is above your ESC on a hole, your ESC value is used. Since the USGA has the hole par values on the course and knows your handicap to determine your ESC in relation to par, their computer can just mathematically cap your scores in the handicap calculation for that round without actually changing the hole scores entered. Of course, since they only use the best 10 of your recent 20 rounds to determine your handicap, rounds with lots of penalties and ESC adjustments are less likely to even be included in an update.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Right. If you are using the online system as "official" there is no paper card to be turned in- you sign off on the score on the phone and it enters the system. Sounds like in this case the online was not "official" and there was an error on the paper card which was not caught.
Or the online scorecard is the one that had the error and since it was not official, no one saw a need or reason to correct it.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,821 Times in 898 Posts

Excluding penalty throws and DQ, what other kinds of incentives could get players to add up scores, check them, and turn them in?

Looking for ideas, not trying to prove penalties are the only way to go.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,418 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Excluding penalty throws and DQ, what other kinds of incentives could get players to add up scores, check them, and turn them in?

Looking for ideas, not trying to prove penalties are the only way to go.
I counted a lot fewer incorrect cards when players were still required to initial for the score. I realize that in theory they should be checking scores now and are still equally responsible for what is on the card but imo that extra little step did matter.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 406 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Possible scenario
Player does NOT use digital score card.
TD enters hole scores from paper score into live scoring.
Paper score card had incorrect total
TD enters actual throws +2 for round score.

That is how it should work.

And FWIW you are welcome to come by a dig through all of the paper scorecards I have from over a decade of running events. Heck if you took them to take photos, my wife would love it if they weren't at my house anymore.
I'm not sure why a TD would enter scores into live scoring after the fact, but if they did in your example everyone on the card would get +2 of course. And to me it seems as though there should be a footnote on a digital card/ live scoring to explain a discrepancy whenever a digital score summary does not add up properly.

Past tournaments are exempt from the new, made up, picture taking of the card rule!

Your wife is clearly a very tolerant woman, but I guess that could be said about any disc golfers wife.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,418 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
I'm not sure why a TD would enter scores into live scoring after the fact, but if they did in your example everyone on the card would get +2 of course. And to me it seems as though there should be a footnote on a digital card/ live scoring to explain a discrepancy whenever a digital score summary does not add up properly.
This is in the works per the developer.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 406 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
This is in the works per the developer.
That'll be a big help.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 141 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
I counted a lot fewer incorrect cards when players were still required to initial for the score.
This!

I have no idea why the PDGA decided to scrap one of the most useful rules of our game, from a TDs perspective.

The required signing of the scorecard removed any excuses a player could use when scoring errors occurred and provided the TD knowledge that the player had to, at minimum, directly interact with the scorecard at some point in the round.

I think the fact that the new digital scorecards require each player to sign off on their scores, proves the error of this decision by the PDGA.