Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,407 Times in 812 Posts

Philo is very charismatic, at least off the course. He is a great spokesman for the game.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,871 Times in 2,558 Posts

He's also made an effort to speed up his pre shot routine. A couple years ago, I dreaded him being on live cards. Now, its not so bad and look forward to watching him carve up wooded courses with those Rocs.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-17-2020, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 108
Niced 572 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Philo is very charismatic, at least off the course. He is a great spokesman for the game.
Agreed. After signing a disc for us, Philo spent at least 5 minutes talking with my daughter and me at the 2015 Worlds after round 5. And I think that it was us who ended the conversation, not him, as we had to hit the road.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 6
Niced 118 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
The thing that I didn't realize was that Finland had no courses 8 years ago.
Not entirely accurate but gets the point across (I started 8 years ago and I know there were a few courses in my home town already). That was a good TV spot with Philo

Old 02-24-2020, 07:26 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,820 Times in 898 Posts

Just saw Acorn park on the local news (WCCO). Story about the warm(?) weather. "How about a little disc golf?" No "frisbee golf", no explanation of what it is. Everybody here in the future of disc golf already knows and plays.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,147 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
That may be true but definitely not my experience with him. I had found a lost disc of his and I went out of my way to return it to him. I got a bored barely audible "Thanks" and he walked away. Had I known, I would have just kept the disc.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 638 Times in 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Just saw Acorn park on the local news (WCCO). Story about the warm(?) weather. "How about a little disc golf?" No "frisbee golf", no explanation of what it is. Everybody here in the future of disc golf already knows and plays.
That’s a pretty decent course. Got the chance to play it a couple years ago.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 88 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
That may be true but definitely not my experience with him. I had found a lost disc of his and I went out of my way to return it to him. I got a bored barely audible "Thanks" and he walked away. Had I known, I would have just kept the disc.
That's too bad - I am going to guess maybe he was just having a crummy day or had a lot on his mind. Nobody's going to always be "on" all the time.

My experience with meeting Philo was very positive: He came to Wisconsin in January (on a night where it snowed nearly a foot no less lol) to do a throwing clinic at an indoor ace race event that our local disc golf scene put together, I thought he was affable and friendly, and welcomed the chance to chat and hang out with us (mostly) amateur recreational players, share his wisdom, but also put on a throwing clinic where he was very confident in his technique, philosophy, and thought process for how he approached the game.

He gained a fan in me. I will always root for him to win every event I see him play in.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,391 Times in 535 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegelexercise View Post
That's too bad - I am going to guess maybe he was just having a crummy day or had a lot on his mind. Nobody's going to always be "on" all the time.

My experience with meeting Philo was very positive: He came to Wisconsin in January (on a night where it snowed nearly a foot no less lol) to do a throwing clinic at an indoor ace race event that our local disc golf scene put together, I thought he was affable and friendly, and welcomed the chance to chat and hang out with us (mostly) amateur recreational players, share his wisdom, but also put on a throwing clinic where he was very confident in his technique, philosophy, and thought process for how he approached the game.

He gained a fan in me. I will always root for him to win every event I see him play in.
The difference is he was getting paid for the clinic but not for the returned disc.
Of course they're going to be friendly when they're taking your money.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 88 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
The difference is he was getting paid for the clinic but not for the returned disc.
Of course they're going to be friendly when they're taking your money.
I mean, sure, if you want to go the cynical route and believe that Philo being friendly and approachable was all a "play nice" act because he was getting paid, that's your prerogative. I don't doubt for a second that's *why* he came to Wisconsin in January, but in my experience, I did not get "fake nice" vibes from him at all.

Niced: (2)