Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,839 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Have to say I'm quite confused at the moment of that transition from rear leg to plant leg. I've been trying to have my rear leg completely weightless by the time my plant heel drops down. I should actually push with my rear leg "big toe" once plant heel drops down, like Dan Beto does heavily in his drill video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
I think you are just seeing a continuation with the big toe push/leverage from before the front heel drops down. Also keep in mind that drills are drills, they are typically not ideal form, but are meant to exaggerate a certain feeling that you need to find a way to incorporate into your throw.

The rear leg's purpose is to generate forward momentum that puts you onto the front leg and can transform that forward momentum into rotational momentum up the braced front leg to the body and then arm swing. The rear leg adds nothing to the arm when it's actually swinging, it's way too late at the point - this is the basis of the One Leg Drill. For most am players the rear leg just gets in the way of momentum and slows things down or makes them less efficient than is possible on One Leg. In Feet Together Drill, you can be pushing because your stance is narrower than shoulder width and basically your two feet act as one, but this doesn't do anything directly to the arm swing, but to the hips, so the push goes ground up to the hips first, then to the arm, but in disc golf you pretty much never have a stance less than shoulder width when throwing, so the can of worms of two feet becomes that you should be on either one leg or the other but not both simultaneously.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Also keep in mind that drills are drills, they are typically not ideal form, but are meant to exaggerate a certain feeling that you need to find a way to incorporate into your throw.

The rear leg's purpose is to generate forward momentum that puts you onto the front leg and can transform that forward momentum into rotational momentum up the braced front leg to the body and then arm swing. The rear leg adds nothing to the arm when it's actually swinging, it's way too late at the point - this is the basis of the One Leg Drill.
Yeah, keep in mind the wall video I posted a couple posts up is a drill to feel the connectivity, etc. It's to really show that core engagement and counterweight type of feel so you can continually swing the disc. You will not be throwing by having the rear toes pushing the disc through the hit at the same time. But "anticipating" this hit leverage and setting your body up in a similar way will let you feel a similar feeling at throw tempo. Even in a one leg throw the rear leg will swing up and counter the throw, but it will feel similar in how you can maintain leverage. I just don't want to have pointed you down the wrong track, so that's why I'm clarifying.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=109910

Posting this SP's tip to help me remember the cause next time I feel like I'm missing one lever from throw completely. Always thought I just slipped the disc from hand but that drill kind of made me realise what is happening in those cases. Could also help me fix this early shoulder opening I'm having bad trouble with at the moment.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=109910

Posting this SP's tip to help me remember the cause next time I feel like I'm missing one lever from throw completely. Always thought I just slipped the disc from hand but that drill kind of made me realise what is happening in those cases. Could also help me fix this early shoulder opening I'm having bad trouble with at the moment.
To be fair this thread will help you feel the wrist as a hinge, but it will load and unload the wrist targetward and a bit more flingy rather than the way I now realize which is to have a more forward tension and then leverage the disc outwards and through the hit. The load happens later, more because of the overall shoulder arc rather than forearm swing in.

It feels more to me now like hammering forward through something, than loading the wrist as a lever early and then it springing open.

In that image I have a few posts in, instead imagine the shoulders/torso is rotating through and is at 30ish degrees, that is helping the wrist load more targetwards rather than so closed.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Note how your front leg is bent, rear foot too far behind and shoulders not turned further back in backswing, and you have really turned too open in finish with the front shoulder coming back away from target. Really need to get upright on front leg and elongate the swing linearly back to front, rather than around, let the hammer/arm swing past you. Note how centered and upright I am and how my right shoulder rotates back and forward longer so my swing is like a foot or more longer linearly away from my center.

Little fewerish, should probably be in bed but here I am swinging hammer in living room since gf is not here to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjf1-5q0d18

Took some screencaps but dunno how to get them here. Not sure did I manage to elongate that swing at all, but looked like I'm better behind the hit. Also maybe still go bit around rather than linearly?

Would you recommend doing one-step hammer swinging to help that shift from behind feeling?

Thanks SP for that explanation of wrist loading. When I tried it inside it kind of felt like I actually have to start uncoiling that lower arm for wrist to load "against" lower arm, or otherwise I'm just forcing it if I try to load it by stopping elbow rapidly.

Wish my english were better, feels like I understand the words, but in order to understand sentences I have to reread them 100 times.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah that is looking better, let it flow. Perpetual two step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=2m45s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo&t=5m56s
Old 04-02-2018, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

Thanks SP for that explanation of wrist loading. When I tried it inside it kind of felt like I actually have to start uncoiling that lower arm for wrist to load "against" lower arm, or otherwise I'm just forcing it if I try to load it by stopping elbow rapidly.
Yes that makes sense. It's the beginning of the outward/around direction that begins the wrist to load back against the forearm, and then it will unload targetward/through the hit. It's a subtle thing, at least once you're used to it. When you begin to feel it, you may notice it a lot more until it becomes naturally part of your throw and just expected.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Par Member

Had couple good feeling throws today on the course, the kind I haven't felt before. I could feel those "torgue circles" around both feet Sevam talked about in one of his videos (can't remember what he called them). Sadly whenever I start to film that inner idiot inside me gets free and puts more power into throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-0OZuABP-o

Have to rely on you guys, thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

It looks like you have good leverage on the disc and the wrist/disc is loading toward the target the right way. Nice wide arm swing.

I'm not sure if you're doing something a bit off with the front leg/knee as you are going into the plant, or if that's how it should look when dropping onto such a narrow plant. I'll let SW22 assess that.

I would look at your rear arm a bit now, it is just coming along for the ride around your torso. It isn't providing any leverage. What should happen is you should feel like you are bringing the upper arm/elbow directly targetward into/through the torso/brace, and it will do that "swim move" as you are pulling the disc through the hit. It will kind of recoil like your rear leg does. Right now the arm is just locked at the same angle and moving with the torso around the brace axis, not providing any countering leverage on the other side of the spine/opposite the throw.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Need to stride the front foot forward if your hips are going to stride forward. I messed up the order below on 1 and 2... but note how my front foot strides forward in order to catch my hips/weight and my front knee is ahead of the hip to brace it.

Note in frame 4 - your front hip is ahead forward of the knee and causing to your spine to crash down and tilt over top and over rotate upper body. My knee is extending with the hip braced behind it causing it to rise and maintain tilted spiral, note how my chin is forward of nose.

Rotate your shoulders tilted forward so front shoulder rotates back and forth more underneath your chin and opposite shoulder, see tilted spiral and braced tilt earlier in thread, this is extreme tilted pendulum example: