Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,823 Times in 1,733 Posts

The crush should basically complete the backswing - still turning back in Door Frame.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 213 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Ah ye see it now, it's way more obvious when I throw. Is it something that should get fixed by simply thinking of not rotating before heel is planted? I've been fighting that for a while now and when I feel like the rotation is delayed video shows otherwise 😓
Dunno, trying to understand how to do it myself
Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 580 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Ah ye see it now, it's way more obvious when I throw. Is it something that should get fixed by simply thinking of not rotating before heel is planted? I've been fighting that for a while now and when I feel like the rotation is delayed video shows otherwise 😓
The front foot impact should cause the disc to spring forward under its own momentum. If your shoulder rotation is pulling the disc forward, then you are opening too early.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Gave my forehand some attention today and tried new grip (powergrip I think it is?). Didn't focus on anything but follow through this time to minimize strain on shoulder. Feel like I have gotten some distance and maybe more clean release, since those mids were going ~250ft. What should I focus on next? Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/yBU1wf8APzQ
Old 05-17-2018, 05:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Keep the disc level by supinating the arm in the backswing. You are winding the arm/disc around quite a bit off plane and getting a some wobble. Your elbow also looks really low and too close to the hip like a tiny t-rex arm releasing.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

Yeah it looks like you're disconnecting your upper arm/elbow from your torso, getting a snappy/whippy thing going on. The elbow should be a bit wider from the torso, the tutorial SW posted is really helpful for upper arm angle. The disc will load the forearm back, you don't need to do a pre-load or conscious load thing other than backswing into forward swing.

That Shawn Clement video is what really helped the shift from behind/anchor your butt for the swing click for me in a FH. I think you're just loosely going through the swing with your hips, rather than anchoring the swing to get leverage through the hit. It's easier on a downward arc like he shows into that log. Make sure you set up your hips like he does and just try to feel leverage into where the log would be. It's about being able to actively swing through that point, rather than getting a whip going to get what feels like a fast throw.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
That Shawn Clement video is what really helped the shift from behind/anchor your butt for the swing click for me in a FH. I think you're just loosely going through the swing with your hips, rather than anchoring the swing to get leverage through the hit. It's easier on a downward arc like he shows into that log. Make sure you set up your hips like he does and just try to feel leverage into where the log would be. It's about being able to actively swing through that point, rather than getting a whip going to get what feels like a fast throw.
Yep, it's like swinging through the log - tossing the hammer:
Old 06-05-2018, 02:40 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

https://youtu.be/v_20KaIf0Ng

It feels more like a swing now, but there's quite bit more wobble at the release. Is it because I pronate the hand too early or?

Elbow should be wider too I guess.

Last edited by Tepi; 06-05-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

In the Shawn Clement video above with the log, watch at the 2:00 point on how he shows to distribute the weight. He angles so that the rear butt is more facing the target, and is closed into the front leg. He doesn't just tilt away from the target, the hips close off and you can really load into them as a counterweight.

You get sideways to the target but never manage to load/leverage your hips the same way to act as a counterweight on the opposite side of your spine on the way to planting/bracing.

For the wobble your forearm looks maybe a bit restricted, so you perhaps aren't letting it load back enough and then when the arcs line up to release the forearm forward you can firm up and snap through the hit point. You have to be kind of loose below the elbow but stiff in the upper arm to keep the shoulder angle, and anticipate the hit point to snap through it with confidence. It's really tricky to get that feel with confidence, but when you do the wobbles never really happen anymore.

The inbetween flick/pop and real form shots are really hard for me, say 150ish with a putter. Where you kind of just want to pop it to give it spin and you only act on the hit point, but if you give it the actual hip leverage with the forearm engaged you end up with lots of velocity and if you don't confidently snap the disc then it will wobble as it doesn't have that clean spin to match the power.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-05-2018, 03:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Hard to tell from vid, but your grip looks a little off to me/weak and your ring and pinky fingers might be in the way, put your ring and pinky fingers under the rim to help support the disc plane / give stronger grip and alignment around the rim. Note in the pic below how the rim/wing of the disc is trapped between all four of my fingers and the thumb, I basically use a four finger power grip FH.

And yeah the elbow looks too low/close to your body when the lower arm swings the disc, like t-rex arm. Need to extend the arm/disc more wider away from you at release. The disc's momentum should pull on you through the arm/shoulder socket like the hammer.

Niced: (1)