Old 06-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

https://youtu.be/FE7PWU_m6vA

Just backhand update, no progress since been only playing rounds.

What I see:
- Flat footed with rear leg
- Opening up to plant
- Rear hand really wild (not sure what would be the best way to go with it, tried that "swim" move at one point but never integrated it to muscle memory)
- Head might still turn little ahead of shoulders

I seem to have really wide backswing aswell, maybe too wide?

Hoping to get some field practise in sometime soon, playing rounds is just too much fun, throwing badly isn't however.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2018, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

Your momentum down the teepad is kind of all over. I was doing this too, definitely. For example watch the first right step and X-step behind, and pause the video, draw an imaginary line where your momentum is going down the teepad. Then watch your right foot plant step...it's going way left rather than down the momentum line. Then watch your torso during the swing, it's going targetward where your initial steps were, but relative to the plant step it's going behind/right and way crossed over. So it seems like your torso/spine get pulled to the right of the plant rather than continuing through. You end up in balance on the plant leg in the follow through, but you're being restricted I think.

I think you need to get the hips/torso/weight down your momentum line where you expect the plant to happen, then get the foot to that spot for the Hershyzer type lead with the mass feel and into sudden crush the can. I'm figuring this all out better so it's hard for me to explain in more detail, but I think this is what's going on for you. If you feel how you need to support your weight when you plant, then it won't make sense to drift your foot out to the side ahead of your body and have it cross over your intended momentum line.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Par Member

Thanks, think this is excactly why sidewinder made the "crush the can like simon lizotte"?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Thanks, think this is excactly why sidewinder made the "crush the can like simon lizotte"?
Yes it is. But don't just think about the foot path, move your torso forward to where it should end up and then get the foot under you. Anticipate where the foot should land, and the Simon foot path is a trick to make the foot take a longer path to get to that place so you get a more sudden drop. From what I understand anyways...as long as I can feel the drop I'm happy and trying to incorporate that feel in all my shots. Getting that longer foot path is an extra thing for some people, for others it might make the delayed drop make more sense.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,825 Times in 1,735 Posts

These probably help more with x-step:

Old 06-12-2018, 02:01 AM
Par Member

Cheers, tried that "kick the can or ball" quickly before work. Felt like I was leading with lower spine in it and pushing off my rear instep, have to film it someday. That push off rear instep was something that just seemed to happen naturally, it felt like I was pushing myself towards the target/upward.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Par Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8IBct3z57Y

From couple days ago, tried to work purely on getting that rear hand tucked in, which seems to look ok on that video. Haven't managed to get it to muscle memory yet tho.

Plant foot not kicking the ball/can which probably is the reason that leads to crashing into front hip instead of getting setup ontop of it? Should maybe work on one leg drill again to get that feeling, still not sure do I understand this stride and plant part correctly even though you guys have tried to explain it thousand times.

Have to keep watching and doing Sidewinders videos/drills, by now I understand those are pure gold and hopefully one day I get it all. Been suggesting them to everyone I know.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

I think you are still drifting to the left of the teepad, which would be more apparent with a behind video too. If the plant leg drifts left then your body slams behind the hip rather than letting your momentum get on top of it. When everything is simple, staying upright and moving in one direction, you just end up in balance. It seems so simple after, just do less things. But getting the feeling is difficult.

I think drifting left is why your hips slam and why your rear shoulder scrunches upwards rather than swinging through on plane toward the target. Also this is causing your rear arm to kind of tangle up. The rear arm is coming forward compared to before, but it should recoil back to counter the throw, doing the "swim move" or some sort of recoil for leverage. Look at Garret Gurthie's rear arm...it seems weird but if you do that motion you can feel how it gives your throwing arm leverage through the hit. Then try to feel that leverage with the arm forward/in.

To me the leading with the lower body rather than foot seems way better. SW22 will be able to tell more. But I do think you can turn back more before you plant, like in the door frame drill. To do that though you'll need to stride in line, if you close yourself off on the teepad then your body drifts/turns rather than loads.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,825 Times in 1,735 Posts

Yeah, looks like you are picking your front leg/knee up to stride instead of swinging it from a more upright posture on rear leg. Watch how your feet separate ahead of the knees, should be separating more at the same rate. May help to turn your rear foot slightly away further to help turn hip/pelvis further back.

Also watch how your head tips or tilts over the front leg \, instead of being dynamically upright to the front leg like /. Should feel like your chin leads your nose forward - ground up.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Par Member

Feel bit stuck at the moment, I've been yanking shots pretty badly to the right of my target lately which probably is caused of that leftward striding and way too wide backswing. I feel I've taken that wide-narrow-wide thinking bit too extreme.

Read this from BJ's thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Get a sledgehammer and go through the x-step with it. The pump makes it 100x easier to get through the x-step with the sledgehammer. You are trying to time your swing to your feet instead of sequencing your feet to your swing.

Your eyes should be watching your thumb/disc/swing, not the target. This is also why a full pre-swing helps with accuracy, because I'm lining up the disc/thumb to the target and looking down the barrel to the hit before starting the backswing. The backswing should always be able to reverse right back to that pre-swing hit point like hitting a nail with a hammer.
Probably something that's not important for me at the moment, but I feel something in my timing improved by doing that forward pump. Been doing it with hammer and trying to feel the same with disc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcOWMxXzLo

The thing I've been trying to fix most is what you said about my head being tilted over, I think it's more than my head, feels my whole upper spine is tilted over which looks kinda freaky when I pause my video at follow though. I feel my lower spine gets counter weight from my left leg, but since my left arm is doing nothing there's nothing to counter my upper spine. Could that be one reason I'm tilted over like that?