Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,147 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
So, who do you guys think will end up winning this thing?
I'd like to see Dickerson take it
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
I like Reid Frescura, poor first round but dialed in now.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 372 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Sextons mistake free golf is the easy choice for a final day on this course. My predicted top 4:

Sexton
Dickerson
Barsby
Risley
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Par Member

Niced 52 Times in 35 Posts

I really want aj to take it down
Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,709 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
Well....pretty sure Paul's not coming back to win this one.

Paul Ulibarri had an interesting opinion about courses and the top pros on Smashboxx's podcast. He was basically saying that all events needs to be like Ledgestone and USDGC, with more OB and stroke and distance to allow for different players to have a chance at the win. If you look at the leaderboard, this tourney is proving his point.
I'm not sure it was just OB and stroke/distance that he was talking about so much as the courses being technically challenging rather than just about pure distance, OB or not. I thought he was very well placed to make the case as he had just come off back to back weeks of playing Konopiste and Idlewild, which are very good contrasting course designs that supported his argument.

Konopiste wasn't necessarily the open hyzer-fest like the desert and ball golf courses of the early part of the year (Memorial, Vegas, etc), but it featured minimal OB and frankly minimal danger, especially on the approaches and greens. It was just long. And the long throwers dominated. On the other hand, Idlewild required threading shots through the woods, and yes avoiding the OB areas, and having good placement on drives and approaches in order to set up one's next shot. Errors were punished with difficult lies and difficult lanes as much if not more than with OB penalties. It compressed the field a bit so that no one was running away and a larger percentage of the field was within striking distance all weekend.

I think Eureka does a fair job of blending the best of both, though it does rely on ropes and OB to require precision and placement more than Idlewild does. There are some big distance carries but also a lot of emphasis on landing in the right spot to have the optimal look for the next shot. I like holes like 6 or 13 where they're long, but the dangers force most players to perhaps dial back a little to place their shots in-bounds. The long 500+ foot bomb drive is there, but isn't the smart play unless it is absolutely perfect.

To put it simply, the ideal courses to play for these elite events are ones that will reward the best players. Not necessarily the best players overall (like the highest rated or the longest throwing), but the best players on a particular weekend. Those aren't always the same players.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,301 Times in 2,281 Posts

This is a good course, it forces you to play golf and not just throw. Its just not aesthetically pleasing in a few areas. Take the baseball field hole, if that was a lake and not a baseball field, it would look like a miniature version of no18 at Pebble Beach. One of the most beautiful holes in all of golf. The shape and layout of it, are just a risk/reward lovers dream. But.... it has a big fence so people hate it. No6 is basically the same thing in reverse. If that was a big lake, it would look like pebble no18 in reverse.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,709 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
This is a good course, it forces you to play golf and not just throw. Its just not aesthetically pleasing in a few areas. Take the baseball field hole, if that was a lake and not a baseball field, it would look like a miniature version of no18 at Pebble Beach. One of the most beautiful holes in all of golf. The shape and layout of it, are just a risk/reward lovers dream. But.... it has a big fence so people hate it. No6 is basically the same thing in reverse. If that was a big lake, it would look like pebble no18 in reverse.
Honestly, if the baseball hole was a lake instead of that field, it would be a lesser hole IMO. As aesthetically unpleasing as it may be, I think it's the fence that makes it what it is. Having to get over that fence but not go too far and end up OB long is what makes the hole.

It's a shame that some folks get too worked up over the appearance of a hole or course. If we had ball golf money, we could make the "ugly" gimmicks look more natural and eye-pleasing...like ball golf does.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

rooting for the underdog, either reid or aj.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

I'm gonna admit that I don't really love Eureka. It's a little too mundane for me. If you take USDGC, while there are big open holes with rope, there are also dynamic holes with character. Eureka is just too much big and open with rope to toughen it up.

Baseball. The human aesthetic makes us appreciate certain things. This hole isn't one of them. I agree with JC's notion of why it works but I also think a better look would make it a better hole aesthetically. And yes, IMO such things are important. Convert the fence to the Wrigley wall and you're half way there.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,030 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

It's a shame that some folks get too worked up over the appearance of a hole or course. If we had ball golf money, we could make the "ugly" gimmicks look more natural and eye-pleasing...like ball golf does.
Disc golf needs all the help it can get in attempting to appeal to a wider audience. If it is not pleasing to the eye why would anyone outside the game want to see it?