Old 11-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 297 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
I definitely agree with the assessment that Charlotte is more of a pro sports town (and larger city) and Raleigh is more of a collection of college towns, with the state capital and big IT, medical, and biotech hubs thrown in.

There is a Charlotte/Raleigh rivalry outside the realm of disc golf and a lot of it is political. "The State of Mecklenburg" gets thrown around a lot -- as a badge of honor in Charlotte and as a put-down in Raleigh. Charlotte pols run afoul of state legislators often, get slapped down, and the feud continues. HB2 is the most glaring example.
I must just play too much disc golf. With disc golfers that talk about disc golf.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 169
Niced 152 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Lots of great info in this thread, thanks everyone!

Those rankings are garbage, the cities pay for their positions in those rankings. Can you point to reasons you think Triangle over Charlotte?

FYI in looking it seems like Raleigh would be more family friendly; it seems like more and better suburban areas. Any comments to that impression?
I pretty much just said that but you refuted it with rankings are bs then confirmed it with more and better burbs. You're arguing with yourself.

Yes rankings like crime rates, school quality, standard of living, per capita income are bs if you care about any of those things. Who needs that info when deciding where to live.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 116
Niced 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
I definitely agree with the assessment that Charlotte is more of a pro sports town (and larger city) and Raleigh is more of a collection of college towns, with the state capital and big IT, medical, and biotech hubs thrown in.

There is a Charlotte/Raleigh rivalry outside the realm of disc golf and a lot of it is political. "The State of Mecklenburg" gets thrown around a lot -- as a badge of honor in Charlotte and as a put-down in Raleigh. Charlotte pols run afoul of state legislators often, get slapped down, and the feud continues. HB2 is the most glaring example.
I became aware of the rivalry back in 1997 when the Hurricanes moved to NC. They played in Greensboro for 2 years while the arena was built in Raleigh, a Charlotte station was running "how many empty seats at the hockey game last night?" contests.

But we all know that Charlotte will always be 2nd best, the Queen City, not from the classic definition (largest city in the state that is not the capitol), but because Raleigh has the FIRST, and only, major sports Championship in the state. Stanley Cup - 2006.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-03-2017, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 93
Niced 637 Times in 324 Posts

As an outsider who at one point traveled to NC a lot for dg- there is definitely a rivalry.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

As someone who has lived in Greensboro all my life, but spent a lot of time in Raleigh and Charlotte, I like it here in the middle better. Less traffic, lower cost of living, cool neighborhoods and still plenty of quality restaurants and night life opportunities. Greensboro proper is **** for disc golf, but is centrally located to hit all the goods in the state.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I pretty much just said that but you refuted it with rankings are bs then confirmed it with more and better burbs. You're arguing with yourself.

Yes rankings like crime rates, school quality, standard of living, per capita income are bs if you care about any of those things. Who needs that info when deciding where to live.
I was not arguing with anyone, I was honestly looking for you to give me reasons other than tourism department funded "nicest to live" lists. I am the one without a horse in this race, I am in the market for a horse!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppedup View Post
As someone who has lived in Greensboro all my life, but spent a lot of time in Raleigh and Charlotte, I like it here in the middle better. Less traffic, lower cost of living, cool neighborhoods and still plenty of quality restaurants and night life opportunities. Greensboro proper is **** for disc golf, but is centrally located to hit all the goods in the state.
Yeah what is Greensboro like? Map location looks promising, does it have proper suburbs with suitably WASPy residents?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
I was not arguing with anyone, I was honestly looking for you to give me reasons other than tourism department funded "nicest to live" lists. I am the one without a horse in this race, I am in the market for a horse!
Any real basis to your conspiracy theory? In my limited travels, I haven't seen too many crappy towns racking up rankings. Is there a distinct advantage for #3 over #30? Probably not.

People who live in Greensboro seem to like it. Cost of living is less. I prefer something a little more vibrant.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.1
Courses Played: 391
Niced 101 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Yeah what is Greensboro like? Map location looks promising, does it have proper suburbs with suitably WASPy residents?
Going by what you've written so far I think you would like Winston-Salem better than Greensboro. But this would put you half an hour further from the part of VA and MD that you need to travel to for work. To use your words, as a general rule W-S is much more "WASPy" than Greensboro.

The biggest DG downside of W-S is that you might not be all that close to any course for a home course. It would depend where you live, but Johnson Street in High Point is in the area, and Armfield Civic Center in Pilot Mountain is accessible. I would be glad to have either of these for my home course and would enjoy playing them often. Many people rag on Patriot in Kernersville but I would rate it higher than most have; I like it. I think I could play there regularly, but I may also be minimizing its flaws. Personally, I would get tired of Horizons pretty quickly, and I wouldn't regularly pay to play The Rock at Stonewall.

Although there are some top quality courses not too far from Greensboro, the options for a home course to play regularly are much more sparse.

But as far as standard of living I think that most would say that Winston-Salem is preferable to Greensboro. I would not live in Greensboro (sorry G'boro folks. No hate mail please.)

As others have said repeatedly, if the highest number of high quality dg courses or even just courses is your top criteria then Charlotte is the place to live. I call it DG Mecca for a reason!

Old 11-10-2017, 12:07 AM

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 65
Niced 39 Times in 18 Posts

I live in Mint Hill, east side of Charlotte. I routinely travel to Raleigh to visit my daughter at NC state. Nothing wrong with either choice. But if you like mountains more than oceans, Charlotte has a clear advantage. It's a long long drive to Asheville or Boone or even Wilkesboro, from Raleigh. Mint Hill to Raleigh is about 2 hrs and 15 minutes, taking 49 and 64. You will pass great courses on that route! I like Charlotte more. Good luck!