Old 11-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

Years ago played in an event (1st round was mixed cards) which had a "1/4-mile hole" on it. Dead straight, OB corn field all down the right side and gnarly pickers / bushes / woods down the left. Fairway was about 60-70' wide. At the end of the hole, 1 player swore he'd gotten an 8 (he got a 9); another thought he took a 10 (we gave him a 12). The moral of the story is that, for most players, any hole which 'forces' you (too long, too penal, etc.) to take too many shots potentially yields error-full scores. Remember, the PDGA doesn't mandate abaci to be carried in every 4-some.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 220 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Are you sure that's not just the worst tee box in the world?

Old 11-05-2017, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 79
Niced 727 Times in 332 Posts

Long for the sake for being long is not a reason to play a disc golf course for me. You put in a long-a$$ed hole just so you can say its the longest in the world I'll say, "Whatever" and move on with life and never play that course ever again. UAH in Huntsville, Alabama has several holes that are really long for the sake of being long. Hudson Hills Metropark Monster has an idiotic 1000-footer which is way way out of place on that course. It's silly.

If you have a really long hole it better bring something unusual or entertaining to the course even for the noodle arms. A really long downhill hole is super entertaining for me. Going uphill - forget it. I have better things to do with my life than spend an hour on a single hole.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 147
Niced 354 Times in 172 Posts

Not close to world's longest, but one of our local courses had the longest hole in Washington state at 1022'. It was par 5, and the first 400' had an elevation gain of 15-20 feet. It was a bit ridiculous, and a couple years ago the course designer re-structured some holes, and made 2 better holes out of the one long hole. Long, just to be long, is just unnecessary, IMO. Some people do like then, so there's that.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 240
Niced 125 Times in 59 Posts

Old Settler's Park in Round Rock, Texas has a 1003' hole with about 4 widely spaced trees. For me it was drive, drive, drive, approach, putt. Nothing interesting about that hole at all.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 15 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm suggesting that without some minimum standards, you simply have an arms race in the same way our longest throw record was essentially "ruined" moving forward by not specifying a wind speed maximum. Any course location with the space can throw a board in the ground and call it their "championship" tee the longest hole in the world. Not saying that's what Dan did at Campgaw, but simply discussing the problem with these "longest" records.
Yep, take this for example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2017...0km-par-14000/

Par 14,000.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,060 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Haven't seen it, but supposedly hole 8 on Highbridge Gold has a tee for 1776'.
Ive played it. Other than being long, its really not a memorable hole.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 79
Niced 727 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
Not close to world's longest, but one of our local courses had the longest hole in Washington state at 1022'. It was par 5, and the first 400' had an elevation gain of 15-20 feet. It was a bit ridiculous, and a couple years ago the course designer re-structured some holes, and made 2 better holes out of the one long hole. Long, just to be long, is just unnecessary, IMO. Some people do like then, so there's that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
Old Settler's Park in Round Rock, Texas has a 1003' hole with about 4 widely spaced trees. For me it was drive, drive, drive, approach, putt. Nothing interesting about that hole at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
Ive played it. Other than being long, its really not a memorable hole.
This is precisely the kind of thing I am talking about. You have 1000' why no divide it up into two holes...one 400 and one 600 - or what ever and do something interesting with it. At those lengths a good designer will still get scoring separation even amongst the pros.

And frankly, if you need a 1000+ footer to make your course interesting then maybe your chosen plot of land isn't the best for DG. Sure, there are 1000+ foot holes on the DGPT and I am ok with those because from what I've seen they're very well designed. Usually what I see though on these ultra long holes just looks like a chore to me rather than fun disc golf.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 312
Niced 317 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
... if you need a 1000+ footer to make your course interesting then maybe your chosen plot of land isn't the best for DG. Sure, there are 1000+ foot holes on the DGPT and I am ok with those because from what I've seen they're very well designed. Usually what I see though on these ultra long holes just looks like a chore to me rather than fun disc golf.
Agreed! In the region around Cincinnati to Louisville, there are a handful that I feel are long just for the sake of being long, even on an otherwise wonderful course. For instance, Hole 6 at Seviren Lang (1011') is actually a bit of a let-down compared to the rest of this neat course. But the 1000 foot hole 15 at Idlewild forces you to keep it in the fairway when the rough gets to 5 feet high in late summer, and finishes in an astonishingly gorgeous approach and island green. And it manages to stay in the minds of folks who've played there.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 1313
Niced 122 Times in 51 Posts

I agree about # 15 at Idelwild. It's maybe the only 1000 hole that I've seen that I actually thought it a well designed hole. Way too challenging for this old man, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
Agreed! In the region around Cincinnati to Louisville, there are a handful that I feel are long just for the sake of being long, even on an otherwise wonderful course. For instance, Hole 6 at Seviren Lang (1011') is actually a bit of a let-down compared to the rest of this neat course. But the 1000 foot hole 15 at Idlewild forces you to keep it in the fairway when the rough gets to 5 feet high in late summer, and finishes in an astonishingly gorgeous approach and island green. And it manages to stay in the minds of folks who've played there.