Old 02-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 161 Times in 114 Posts

Inching my way there. Still getting out of balance as I start the reach back a little early. I think the balance/reach back issue is what's causing my plant foot to be so high when I'm getting ready to plant (rather than gliding over the ground.) I'm trying to think of the weight as a pendulum underneath me and it seems to help me stay a bit more narrow and get better hip swivel. Still need to get the gas pedal going a bit earlier. Disc's are starting to push into new territory, though.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,508 Times in 1,000 Posts

I agree you are off balance/tipped back and turned back too early. Foot height looks fine, but because you are leaned back you are leading your stride with your foot instead of the hip/butt/CoM/Hershyzer drills. It looks like you are falling/crouching down into the rear leg instead of leveraging yourself forward and falling onto the front leg upright. Your center of gravity is going upward/jumping out of compression as soon as your front foot plants instead of being compressed against the ground. Also looks like your elbow is too low/close to hip before you start unfolding into the backswing. I think all the unfolders keep the elbow/disc much higher than you.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Your center of gravity is going upward/jumping out of compression as soon as your front foot plants instead of being compressed against the ground.
Oh man, great stuff as usual. I can definitely see it and feel it when you put it that way. It's just wasting the built up energy before the hit.

Quote:
Also looks like your elbow is too low/close to hip before you start unfolding into the backswing. I think all the unfolders keep the elbow/disc much higher than you.
I know I have the low spot reach back issue, and I'm hoping it'll work itself out as I figure out the posture/balance issue, but I'm not really sure what you mean by before I start unfolding? Watching pro's it seams like elbow height can be quite variant.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I know I have the low spot reach back issue, and I'm hoping it'll work itself out as I figure out the posture/balance issue, but I'm not really sure what you mean by before I start unfolding? Watching pro's it seams like elbow height can be quite variant.
Balance and posture are your main issues along with your elbow hanging straight down next to your hip mid backswing/before your elbow unfolds/extends, so your elbow is massively changing height relative to your shoulders and the action is not being mirrored back and forth. Your weight should not pendulum, your arm/disc should be doing the pendulum. Your weight needs to be contained/braced and cleared inside your posture to leverage the arm swing pendulum like a trebuchet.

Yellow vertical line is your nose/balance, note how Simon and Steve's nose is critically more forward balanced/centered/stacked as the feet separate and plant. Also note how their elbow is out away from the body and hip mid backswing and their shoulder/center of gravity drops down/loads onto plane to the elbow/disc like in Door Frame Drill part 2 and the arm is still relaxed but taut with the body loaded.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Par Member

Niced 41 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
Inching my way there. Still getting out of balance as I start the reach back a little early. I think the balance/reach back issue is what's causing my plant foot to be so high when I'm getting ready to plant (rather than gliding over the ground.) I'm trying to think of the weight as a pendulum underneath me and it seems to help me stay a bit more narrow and get better hip swivel. Still need to get the gas pedal going a bit earlier. Disc's are starting to push into new territory, though.

I have been playing around with the hop recently. I can get myself into that same position if I try to "x-step" with the hop. I just hopped up with a closed stance, bit like Steve does here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjn5ve4HO4 . After that I was able to keep my posture way better.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Eagle Member

I've been feeling like I'm getting a better weight shift, but not really driving off the rear foot, and I'm jumping out of compression at the hit (instead of rotating to the outside of the plant heel). I think I realized my problem watching some pro videos. It's because I'm not clearing my hip, and I'm stuck behind it instead of leveraging through and past it. I attempted to try and get my right butt cheek moving right of the target as I attempt to leverage off my rear foot, and the results seem promising. Is this the right mentality to take with clearing the front hip? I always thought the front hip was supposed to clear on it's own as a byproduct of bracing. The little move I'm doing here isn't significant, and it might be more mental than physical, but it feels good, and to my eye looks better.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:10 AM
* Ace Member *

9x World Championships stack the rear hip over rear ankle and Wipe the Butt Forward/Hogan Power Move/Hershyzer. See how your rear hip is still back over knee/ankle toward the back end of the tee pad away from target/side tee view. So you have not wiped butt forward/Hershyzer, nor do you have any butt pressure against the wall/stack/center/balance on rear leg. Your hips are already behind mid stride, so they ain't leading the show the rest of the way. See how the Champs rear femur is leveraged and angled targetward mid stride/backswing, while your rear femur is pointed straight up.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
See how the Champs rear femur is leveraged and angled targetward mid stride/backswing, while your rear femur is pointed straight up.
Do you have any advice on getting this leverage/stack position without spinning out the rear side? I've been trying so hard to stay leveraged on the rear foot without spinning out, I feel like that's how I've got to this position here. Walking through trying to angle the femur more, I feel like I'm turning backward. Also, to address my earlier question, is the butt wipe with the front cheek somewhat active?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

I’m not sure what the question is with front cheek here, fix rear cheek first. You might have turned back here, but you haven’t made the forward move in the backswing. You are still leaning back away from target. Watch SC Hogan Power Move where he talks about amazing leverage from rear leg and not spinning by letting the rear side fall over.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Im not sure what the question is with front cheek here, fix rear cheek first.
I think I'm starting to figure out what I can't quite articulate. The pressure of the weight coming down on the heel sends everything backward/right of teepad. I can kind of feel it if I think of stomping timed with my hip rotation. It's subtle, but feels great.

Quote:
Watch SC Hogan Power Move where he talks about amazing leverage from rear leg and not spinning by letting the rear side fall over.
Would you say this forward move/the move, and hershyzer are all about hip rotation/loading into the backswing? When I start thinking of it this way I generating a lot more power in my throws. I threw my tee-bird 406' and Thunderbird 426' laser measured on flat ground with a steady tail wind yesterday. With the loading on the rearside, and clearing of the front side, it feels like I'm throwing in my fallow through or I've rotated further before I release (I have no clue if that makes any sense.) Still major posture issues, and I can't seem to calm down the super elongated run up I do when I'm not restricted to my 10x10 room. I keep throwing myself out of balance at the x-step, and tipping over the top because of it.

One thing I notice while trying to load/get the rear hip pointing more toward the target, is I'm getting more flat footed on the rear foot. I think once I'm able to abbreviate the x-step in balance, it'll be easier to stay on my toes.