Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
I think that you could see some improvement by developing some inner strength around your own self worth. It may be working with some less fortunate or being a big brother to little kid. It may be as simple as just calling a friend once a week and asking how they’re doing. It sounds like the negativity of your internal dialogue is overwhelming your ability to recognize that you are a good person.

Missing a putt or losing a game does not have ONE LICK of correlation about your own self worth. If you never make another putt inside the circle, for the rest of your life, you can still be an absolutely awesome person. That negative inner voice needs a reckoning with the good person that you are, and then a missed putt can be just a part of your awesome time on the course.
Oh definitely. Everything you say I agree with. I recently went through a pretty dark period, dealt with depression for a few years but everything has been really good the past 6 months. I just still have a day here and then when I'm extra susceptible to falling back into some of those thought patterns.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Eagle Member

Some standstill/slow x-step shots from after work today. Anything looking any better? Trying to get my front hip cleared back and get more "squatty" and it looks like I'm doing so on some of the throws.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Eagle Member

Old 11-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
To my novice eyes... a couple of the first shots in first post looked pretty good. I think something that would help you is windmill drill. I notice in side view videos it looks like you are throwing on more of a horizontal plane and I think it leads to spinning around in front just a little. Whereas if you do the windmill drill you'll get the feel of really digging into the ground/pushing off/leveraging that front foot on more of a vertical swing. The whole gravity thing will make it easier to leverage against ground. You know what I mean?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
To my novice eyes... a couple of the first shots in first post looked pretty good. I think something that would help you is windmill drill. I notice in side view videos it looks like you are throwing on more of a horizontal plane and I think it leads to spinning around in front just a little. Whereas if you do the windmill drill you'll get the feel of really digging into the ground/pushing off/leveraging that front foot on more of a vertical swing. The whole gravity thing will make it easier to leverage against ground. You know what I mean?
Yeah I get what you are saying. And funny you say that, my best shots right handed have been after doing the windmill drill for a while. I was getting mids to 300' that day. I definitely did feel some spin-out type feelings and I think that was me getting eager to clear the front hip and engaging the arm too early too. Keep in mind I'm throwing these at very little power, otherwise I'm hitting the neighbor's house. So far I've only hit a couple of cars....

Another thing I realized, I really need to squat more in the throw. I am doing so a little more in these vids, but I need even more. I think that will help the rear leg not stiffen up and straighten out and keep me better balanced as well.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 11-13-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Yeah I get what you are saying. And funny you say that, my best shots right handed have been after doing the windmill drill for a while. I was getting mids to 300' that day. I definitely did feel some spin-out type feelings and I think that was me getting eager to clear the front hip and engaging the arm too early too. Keep in mind I'm throwing these at very little power, otherwise I'm hitting the neighbor's house. So far I've only hit a couple of cars....

Another thing I realized, I really need to squat more in the throw. I am doing so a little more in these vids, but I need even more. I think that will help the rear leg not stiffen up and straighten out and keep me better balanced as well.

Yeah, even just feeling that windmill with a good pump preswing seems to help me to remember to drive into/leverage against the ground. And I think more of a vertical swing you won't have to worry [i.e. think about] about squatting because your focus will be on pumping the arm by the use of your legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Adding pumping of the swing/windmill acceleration gif:

[/URL]
Old 11-13-2019, 11:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,198 Times in 1,943 Posts

Too staggered closed and spinning out both feet. Front view you are starting w/ feet inline and then stepping/striding over to right teepad side. The stride should be straight or inward from your rear foot angle. Your x-step is crossing over in the way of your front foot stride.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...&postcount=431

Side view shows your front heel spinning out counter clockwise closer to target in your backswing = toasted from the get go. Front heel should get pulled back away inward/clockwise from the target from the momentum of the backswing pulling it off the ground like heaving a sledgehammer away and taking you with it. You are starting with your front foot turned back too far(and staggered closed), should start with it slightly pointed at target, so the backswing turns everything back into rear foot going into plant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m

You also start the backswing from impossible static position and leaning back instead of shifting back. Need to swing forward before you start the backswing.
*copy/paste* Backswing always starts after swinging forward first with rear heel off the ground/shifted forward - pre-swing/pump/press. To initiate backswing rear heel plants in ground while disc still going forward and heel stays on ground going up to the top of the backswing/transition. It's basically crushing the can mirrored. Your rear heel is airborne way before the top of the backswing, so you have no balance/support through your rear ankle. You are falling forward over your toes like Mike shows...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXNglCDcz4#t=2m30s

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-13-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Too staggered closed and spinning out both feet. Front view you are starting w/ feet inline and then stepping/striding over to right teepad side. The stride should be straight or inward from your rear foot angle. Your x-step is crossing over in the way of your front foot stride.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...&postcount=431
I don't understand this one. I see the feet spinning out but I don't get the striding part. I can feel better now how to get balanced on the rear foot instead of just gliding past it and that lets me do the "crush the can like simon" motion with my plant foot where I can stride it straight then stagger at the plant. Can you show me with the following images? I see how my front foot is way too closed especially in side view. I guess it seems like I'm going from closed to planting more open and Simon is going from a more open stance to planting more closed? Is that right?

Quote:
Side view shows your front heel spinning out counter clockwise closer to target in your backswing = toasted from the get go. Front heel should get pulled back away inward/clockwise from the target from the momentum of the backswing pulling it off the ground like heaving a sledgehammer away and taking you with it. You are starting with your front foot turned back too far(and staggered closed), should start with it slightly pointed at target, so the backswing turns everything back into rear foot going into plant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m
Ok I definitely see this one and I can feel how to fix that.

Quote:
You also start the backswing from impossible static position and leaning back instead of shifting back. Need to swing forward before you start the backswing.
*copy/paste* Backswing always starts after swinging forward first with rear heel off the ground/shifted forward - pre-swing/pump/press. To initiate backswing rear heel plants in ground while disc still going forward and heel stays on ground going up to the top of the backswing/transition. It's basically crushing the can mirrored. Your rear heel is airborne way before the top of the backswing, so you have no balance/support through your rear ankle. You are falling forward over your toes like Mike shows...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXNglCDcz4#t=2m30s
I thought you didn't really need to be on your rear heel at any point as long as you can balance on it? That's what I've been trying to avoid because I tend to drive off the rear heel and I think I'm driving off instep slightly better here.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2019, 03:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,198 Times in 1,943 Posts

I like Simon, but most people would be better off if they never saw his form and stop trying to be like him. He has the balance of a ninja and can do things that the rest of us mortals simply can't.

You will notice that Simon's front foot is always underneath or inside his head. Your front foot is outside your head.

I have terrible balance/ankle stability, so it helps to let my rear heel down. The only thing you don't want to do is push off the heel/extending the knee - I mean you can, but it's not proper. The instep should drive the heel regardless of whether or not the heel hits the ground. Working in "standstill" I highly recommend the rear heel planting into the ground in the backswing. Everything should be mirrored back and forth. In x-step/hop you will be moving faster, so it's not as necessary for that balance/stability on the rear foot just like running vs walking.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Eagle Member

Outside in what direction in this context? Left side of teepad?

Niced: (1)