Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 644 Times in 259 Posts
Default Crushing the can / instep timing

The main thing I wanted to get across was the mental image of a trying to smoothly yet powerfully hit a baseball off a teeball stand with a baseball bat.

Given we don't have to be THAT accurate with a long bat - so much as we must be accurate with our angles - but it's IMO a great way to visualize and practice bracing and where the power needs to be.

Heal down on plant makes a great trigger for bringing the disc forward from the back of the back-swing.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 PM
*Moderator*

Video is still processing.................
Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 9
Niced 22 Times in 9 Posts

This is really helpful to a newb like me. Now if it hadn't only been about 20 years since I played baseball...(lol, still understand the concept and this is a great way of thinking about it. Thanks!)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the idea of the heel down being a trigger to go forward. I am working on my timing and I think that will help me work it out. Although I am having trouble planting toe to heel at the moment...

Your baseball reference got me doing some research (YouTubing..) and I noticed this video where the instructor encourages you to plant your front foot open (around 2:30 mark). This is contradicting many things I have read on this site but it kind of makes sense to allow you to fully open at the hips.

https://youtu.be/scDLZUuCUPc?t=2m28s

I watch slo mo of the pros and they plant around 90 Degrees but have perfect timing and open as they enter the hit. I am struggling with this now but I wonder how it would feel to just plant slightly open?

What do you think?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,470 Times in 2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoverlord View Post
I love the idea of the heel down being a trigger to go forward. I am working on my timing and I think that will help me work it out. Although I am having trouble planting toe to heel at the moment...

Your baseball reference got me doing some research (YouTubing..) and I noticed this video where the instructor encourages you to plant your front foot open (around 2:30 mark). This is contradicting many things I have read on this site but it kind of makes sense to allow you to fully open at the hips.

I watch slo mo of the pros and they plant around 90 Degrees but have perfect timing and open as they enter the hit. I am struggling with this now but I wonder how it would feel to just plant slightly open?

What do you think?
What would do with your batting stance if you want to hit a homer over center field with just your front arm/hand?

You would have to close your stance a good bit for you release the bat in play with any power behind it. There's a big difference swinging one handed vs two and the center of the swing changes.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 AM
*Moderator*

Exactly. It's something we have said a few times, but is worth repeating: there's nothing that's really a perfect overlap of a BH drive, but there's some solid commonalities. Baseball's open stance is heavily influenced by the need to watch a pitch. The trailing arm on a bat is required to leverage the bat.

I like the idea of a 1 handed baseball bat swing especially for trying to understand the function of an x-step and how to brace in order to take advantage of it's power.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,644 Times in 1,658 Posts

Great video and angle.

Also when you're hitting a ball, the most power is down the line or near the power alley like 20 degrees away, so it is from a more closed stance than it first appears a batter is taking. Definitely having both hands on the bat changes the hit point.

I think it's way easier to feel the positions and timing with a bat, since its weight makes you really realize when things work correctly vs. if there is a big torque around your wrists or shoulders from not getting into the correct positions. When you swing right, it's such an automatic and balanced follow through.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
What would do with your batting stance if you want to hit a homer over center field with just your front arm/hand?

You would have to close your stance a good bit for you release the bat in play with any power behind it. There's a big difference swinging one handed vs two and the center of the swing changes.

That's pretty much the same difference as a backhand and a forehand throw right? Seems if I was swinging a bat(and holy crap it's been a long time since I played baseball) I was using my rear arm to drive the bat, more similar to a forehand throw.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

After looking at a couple videos- I see why I wasn't a good baseball player. Seems like there is a lot of stuff that can correlate to disc golf in this-

http://youtu.be/GS-PcxmaHmQ

Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,644 Times in 1,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCrawford View Post
That's pretty much the same difference as a backhand and a forehand throw right? Seems if I was swinging a bat(and holy crap it's been a long time since I played baseball) I was using my rear arm to drive the bat, more similar to a forehand throw.
You shouldn't be...it should be lead arm like in disc golf.