Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You shouldn't be...it should be lead arm like in disc golf.
Yep. Hence my second post about sucking at baseball.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 51 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You shouldn't be...it should be lead arm like in disc golf.
QFT. Way more power when you swing this way.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 21
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Two things have been repeatedly my problem in developing my backhand. Leaning back and starting my swing before my heel plant.

My best throws are when my heel plants before my elbow breaks. My hips/torso are going forwards, toe to heel plant while my arm is straight out behind me.

When that heel plants it opens my hips and my arm just unfolds. The only thing I do is try to time when I squeeze my disc hard right before the hit.

That weight shift forward from toe to heel is like SW22 dinglearm video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pk...FNaEIM0526k-3B

Except my arm doesn't swing like a pendulum. It goes back in a striaight line through my core but my legs and especially my hips do that exact swinging motion.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing this information HyzerUniBomber. I tried this for my last field work on Wednesday with good results. I played a round last night and my hit/snap were very consistent. This even helped me when the teepad was on an incline uphill.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 62
Niced 102 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoverlord View Post
I love the idea of the heel down being a trigger to go forward. I am working on my timing and I think that will help me work it out. Although I am having trouble planting toe to heel at the moment...

Your baseball reference got me doing some research (YouTubing..) and I noticed this video where the instructor encourages you to plant your front foot open (around 2:30 mark). This is contradicting many things I have read on this site but it kind of makes sense to allow you to fully open at the hips.

https://youtu.be/scDLZUuCUPc?t=2m28s

I watch slo mo of the pros and they plant around 90 Degrees but have perfect timing and open as they enter the hit. I am struggling with this now but I wonder how it would feel to just plant slightly open?

What do you think?
I know that guy! He made the Hall of Shame for hitting videos in a softball forum I frequent!

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/soft...all-shame.html

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 04-10-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
I love the idea of the heel down being a trigger to go forward. I am working on my timing and I think that will help me work it out. Although I am having trouble planting toe to heel at the moment...

Your baseball reference got me doing some research (YouTubing..) and I noticed this video where the instructor encourages you to plant your front foot open (around 2:30 mark). This is contradicting many things I have read on this site but it kind of makes sense to allow you to fully open at the hips.

I watch slo mo of the pros and they plant around 90 Degrees but have perfect timing and open as they enter the hit. I am struggling with this now but I wonder how it would feel to just plant slightly open?

What do you think?
Look at what he does during the demostration: he lands heel first. That is bad. A pivot will allow your hips to open.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:38 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I have moved away from watching the baseball tutorials... I was never a baseball player anyway. The disc golf backhand is its own monster.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 674 Times in 289 Posts

The whole idea of going toe-to-heel is not a new concept.
However, the idea of holding back the power until the heel meets the ground has led to a bit of a breakthrough for me.
It is helping me add speed to the throw by waiting and not getting ahead of the heel pivot.
I don't feel I'm expressing this right.
One more try.
In the past, with my all-arm throw, I think my pivot was just follow-through.
But now, by waiting for the heel to hit the ground, I'm actually using my body turn to "lead" the throw to increase the whip at release.
I still have a long way to go, but this added 25-50' to my throw on my most recent field work.
Very exciting for me.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Yes I have moved away from watching the baseball tutorials... I was never a baseball player anyway. The disc golf backhand is its own monster.
They're very similar. That guy just shouldn't be doing hitting clinics.

The arm movements are obviously different. 1-hand vs. 2-hand are just going to have differences. Probably not as many as we think, though.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
The whole idea of going toe-to-heel is not a new concept.
However, the idea of holding back the power until the heel meets the ground has led to a bit of a breakthrough for me.
It is helping me add speed to the throw by waiting and not getting ahead of the heel pivot.
I don't feel I'm expressing this right.
One more try.
In the past, with my all-arm throw, I think my pivot was just follow-through.
But now, by waiting for the heel to hit the ground, I'm actually using my body turn to "lead" the throw to increase the whip at release.

I still have a long way to go, but this added 25-50' to my throw on my most recent field work.
Very exciting for me.
This just gave me that classic lightbulb in the head feeling. I was a pretty decent baseball player and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't or wasn't relating the two well, meaning I couldn't feel the similarity or rather I wasn't allowing myself to feel the similarity. Thank you for giving me this "mental breakthrough"!