#11  
Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
DougCrawford's Avatar
DougCrawford DougCrawford is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,101
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You shouldn't be...it should be lead arm like in disc golf.
Yep. Hence my second post about sucking at baseball.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Moonshine Moonshine is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 940
Niced 51 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You shouldn't be...it should be lead arm like in disc golf.
QFT. Way more power when you swing this way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
bfowler bfowler is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,150
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Two things have been repeatedly my problem in developing my backhand. Leaning back and starting my swing before my heel plant.

My best throws are when my heel plants before my elbow breaks. My hips/torso are going forwards, toe to heel plant while my arm is straight out behind me.

When that heel plants it opens my hips and my arm just unfolds. The only thing I do is try to time when I squeeze my disc hard right before the hit.

That weight shift forward from toe to heel is like SW22 dinglearm video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pk...FNaEIM0526k-3B

Except my arm doesn't swing like a pendulum. It goes back in a striaight line through my core but my legs and especially my hips do that exact swinging motion.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM
HereComesDaBoom HereComesDaBoom is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for sharing this information HyzerUniBomber. I tried this for my last field work on Wednesday with good results. I played a round last night and my hit/snap were very consistent. This even helped me when the teepad was on an incline uphill.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is offline
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,497
Niced 102 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoverlord View Post
I love the idea of the heel down being a trigger to go forward. I am working on my timing and I think that will help me work it out. Although I am having trouble planting toe to heel at the moment...

Your baseball reference got me doing some research (YouTubing..) and I noticed this video where the instructor encourages you to plant your front foot open (around 2:30 mark). This is contradicting many things I have read on this site but it kind of makes sense to allow you to fully open at the hips.

https://youtu.be/scDLZUuCUPc?t=2m28s



I watch slo mo of the pros and they plant around 90 Degrees but have perfect timing and open as they enter the hit. I am struggling with this now but I wonder how it would feel to just plant slightly open?

What do you think?
I know that guy! He made the Hall of Shame for hitting videos in a softball forum I frequent!

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/soft...all-shame.html

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 04-10-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is offline
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,497
Niced 102 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoverlord View Post
I love the idea of the heel down being a trigger to go forward. I am working on my timing and I think that will help me work it out. Although I am having trouble planting toe to heel at the moment...

Your baseball reference got me doing some research (YouTubing..) and I noticed this video where the instructor encourages you to plant your front foot open (around 2:30 mark). This is contradicting many things I have read on this site but it kind of makes sense to allow you to fully open at the hips.

I watch slo mo of the pros and they plant around 90 Degrees but have perfect timing and open as they enter the hit. I am struggling with this now but I wonder how it would feel to just plant slightly open?

What do you think?
Look at what he does during the demostration: he lands heel first. That is bad. A pivot will allow your hips to open.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-12-2015, 10:38 PM
dgoverlord dgoverlord is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes I have moved away from watching the baseball tutorials... I was never a baseball player anyway. The disc golf backhand is its own monster.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 AM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,637
Niced 674 Times in 289 Posts
Default

The whole idea of going toe-to-heel is not a new concept.
However, the idea of holding back the power until the heel meets the ground has led to a bit of a breakthrough for me.
It is helping me add speed to the throw by waiting and not getting ahead of the heel pivot.
I don't feel I'm expressing this right.
One more try.
In the past, with my all-arm throw, I think my pivot was just follow-through.
But now, by waiting for the heel to hit the ground, I'm actually using my body turn to "lead" the throw to increase the whip at release.
I still have a long way to go, but this added 25-50' to my throw on my most recent field work.
Very exciting for me.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is offline
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,497
Niced 102 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoverlord View Post
Yes I have moved away from watching the baseball tutorials... I was never a baseball player anyway. The disc golf backhand is its own monster.
They're very similar. That guy just shouldn't be doing hitting clinics.

The arm movements are obviously different. 1-hand vs. 2-hand are just going to have differences. Probably not as many as we think, though.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 04-18-2015, 02:06 AM
PocketSand's Avatar
PocketSand PocketSand is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 213
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
The whole idea of going toe-to-heel is not a new concept.
However, the idea of holding back the power until the heel meets the ground has led to a bit of a breakthrough for me.
It is helping me add speed to the throw by waiting and not getting ahead of the heel pivot.
I don't feel I'm expressing this right.
One more try.
In the past, with my all-arm throw, I think my pivot was just follow-through.
But now, by waiting for the heel to hit the ground, I'm actually using my body turn to "lead" the throw to increase the whip at release.

I still have a long way to go, but this added 25-50' to my throw on my most recent field work.
Very exciting for me.
This just gave me that classic lightbulb in the head feeling. I was a pretty decent baseball player and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't or wasn't relating the two well, meaning I couldn't feel the similarity or rather I wasn't allowing myself to feel the similarity. Thank you for giving me this "mental breakthrough"!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoulder timing HyzerUniBomber Technique & Strategy 66 01-15-2021 06:32 PM
Odell Beckham Jr - Crushing the Can Mocheez Technique & Strategy 2 09-12-2016 03:41 PM
Wrist Snap and Crushing the Can Trevdor Form Analysis/Critique 5 08-01-2015 03:47 PM
Anyone having problems crushing the can? zrxchris Technique & Strategy 16 03-26-2015 02:21 AM
Crushing Chains Across America isaacgerke Vacations & Road Trips 1 05-15-2014 03:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.