Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default My journey to 450feet consistently. Help!

Hi everyone!

I have played disc golf since the start of July and I’ve been hooked since. I want to improve my game, and distance which is my primary goal at the moment. I started throwing standstill at a beginner course, every holes range from 98feet-295feet. I have a total of 113 full rounds tracked, 65 rounds at this course.

I’m pretty happy with how am I throwing standstill, even though I probably have a lot of flaws in my standstill game. Now I’m lurking around at another course where distance is more important, and if I can’t throw around 300 feet with some accuracy I won’t have a lot of opportunities to make birdies.

I’ve been doing a lot of field practice at a soccer field close to my house. I’ve had days where I only throw putters and mid-ranges, and days where I throw faster stuff and I’ve measured most of my throws and calculated the average in a spreadsheet. I also throw most of my measured shots with a flat release. All of my throws are measured in Udisc and include skips. All of my shots are thrown with a power grip.

These are my averages:

Standstill averages in October:
Star Leopard 175g = 241.5 feet (33 throws)
Champion Teebird 175g= 243 feet (26 throws)
Star Valkyrie 170g= 262.5 feet (25 throws)
Star Destroyer 169g=252.6 feet (13 throws)

X-step averages in November:

Putters:
P-line P2 175g= 239.5 feet (16 throws)
DX Aviar 175g= 238 feet (8 throws)
R-pro Aviar 175g= 226.4 feet (13 throws)
XT Nova 169g= 225 feet (11 throws)
Westside Harp 173g= 230 feet (12 throws)

Midranges:
Star Roc3 180g= 246 feet (6 throws)
Champion Roc3 180g= 245.5 feet (6 throws)
DX Roc 180g= 277 feet (8 throws)

My DX Roc is beat up and flies insanely straight, I think the reason why I throw this one further is because it’s fairly beat up. Some of these throws I’ve been releasing it on a hyzer to hyzer flip it.

Fairways and drivers:
There are some of my throws with the leopard that I threw with a hyzer to hyzer flip, not all of them is on a flat release. All the other disc are thrown on a flat release however.

Star Leopard 175g= 292 feet (16 throws)
Champion Teebird 175g= 272feet (22 throws)
Star Valkyrie 170g= 298 feet (27throws)
Fuzion Escape 171g= 279 feet (12 throws)
Star Orc 170g= 285 feet (20 throws)
Star Wraith 167g= 305 feet (11 throws)
Star Wraith 175g= 282 feet (10 throws)

I have some issues at the “new” course, especially where I try to bomb the disc. Some of the holes at the course is located with park and can be crowded at times.

Sometimes when I’m trying to throw a hyzer, it comes out with a anhyzer angle and it can be dangerous for people that are close. I think I might hold the disc too close to my body, that my body actually change the angle of the disc when I’m releasing it, I’m not sure about this however.

Issues that I think I have:

- I think my second step is too big (when I X-step), I’m not sure if this matters?
- When I plant my last step, it seem like my last step is more on this angle “/” instead of this angle“\”.
- I think I might be pulling the disc to my body to early.
- It seem like there is no elbow involved in my throw.
- I also feel I’m struggling with a straight reachback and it doesn’t seem straight when I’m pulling it to my body. I think it might be because of bad timing with pulling the disc and planting my last step?

I have recorded myself from the side and from behind. These are not recorded at the same time and I’m not throwing the same discs.

Some clips:

First throw is a Teebird, I threw this one 302 feet, second one is a Valkyrie that I threw 334 feet and the last one is also a Valkyrie that I threw 374 feet. Remember this include skip in a soccer field with astroturf and tailwind.

First throw is a Harp, as you can see this actually comes out with a little anhyzer even though I tried throwing it flat. Second one is also harp.

I appreciate all the feedback I can get, I just want to become become good

Love this game
Sponsored Links

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-17-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Par Member

Doesn't seem like the link I posted works so I will try again. I hope I don't spam down my thread. Hope this work.

https://youtu.be/cbDe2HPjjE8

TB, Valkyrie, Valkyrie.

https://youtu.be/RFofvRm2_8g

Westside Harp and Westside Harp.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,432 Times in 2,691 Posts

Yeah you are trying to throw from wide immoveable horsestance instead of quick athletic stance. You end up throwing your upper body over top your lower body, need to lead/leverage your hips ahead of your shoulders.

Start with these and Door Frame Drills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zByUYQnVdY&t=155s

Niced: (2)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-17-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by podskiii View Post
Doesn't seem like the link I posted works so I will try again. I hope I don't spam down my thread. Hope this work.

"https://youtu.be/ cbDe2HPjjE8

TB, Valkyrie, Valkyrie.

https://youtu.be/ RFofvRm2_8g

Westside Harp and Westside Harp.
I FIFY. You only should put the bold part in the youtube tags, you can hit the quote button on your first post to see what I did.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,060 Times in 802 Posts

I was stuck at 400' for a long while. A recent grip change brought immediate gains and my last field practice session I was touching 450' with several different drivers.

Its basically a 2 finger power grip, but instead of putting the rim of the disc in my palm I'm putting it right where my fingers meet my palm. I'm also putting my thumb right over the other two fingers on top of the disc, not to the side.

The grip itself isn't ridiculously comfortable, but the disc comes screaming out with serious authority and I was immediately throwing further more consistently.

450' takes legit work! You'll have to practice throwing a lot and build technique and muscle memory. I'd recommend practicing with a wide variety of drivers from about speed 9 to 14. Learn how to throw everything. Throw flippy discs and overstable ones. Know exactly what a certain mold is capable of. When your technique is good you'll be surprised how far even speed 9 stuff will fly.

If you want to hit 450' sooner rather than later, try something like a Shryke. Its among the longest driver molds I've ever thrown and is surprisingly user friendly. Easy to throw far consistently.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah you are trying to throw from wide immoveable horsestance instead of quick athletic stance. You end up throwing your upper body over top your lower body, need to lead/leverage your hips ahead of your shoulders.

Start with these and Door Frame Drills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zByUYQnVdY&t=155s

Thanks man, I definitely see an error here. My second step in my three step run-up is not setting me up in a proper position to attack the final step. I will go back to throwing standstill for a bit and work on my footwork before I try to implement it in my X-step routine. This seem like a good thing to do at home. I will post a new a clip when I feel satisfied or if there is something I don't understand.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Par Member

Hi again, I've been going back to throwing standstill and I feel fairly "ok" about my form. I've been driving with a lot of putters from the tee instead of midranges, and a lot of midranges instead of fairways. I have also been throwing more slower stuff and more understable stuff in general to hyzer flip. I want to start doing run-ups again when I feel good enough about my standstill technique. I've been trying to lead with my hips as sidewinder suggested. I recorded some footage from today, I didn't throw very well, I probably tried to hard.

I appreciate feedback, please give it to me

https://youtu.be/S1HKj64jwf8

Last edited by podskiii; 11-27-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

You are swinging downward over the top from high reachback and releasing the disc nose up - otherwise it would only go about 20' in front of into the ground. You should feel more like you are picking up somebody off the ground at the top of your backswing and swinging slightly upward for any kind of distance throw with the nose down. Your rear arm also needs to get in tight to your body like a figure skater that wants to rotate faster.

See Door Frame Drill Part 2.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Par Member

Thanks for the quick reply, this actually clears a few questions that I had. I will try to incorporate this into my field session today and record some footage.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Par Member

I watched the door frame drill three times, and decided to go out and throw a bit before I was running out of daylight. I tried throwing all of my shots on a slight hyzer and tried throwing around 60%-70% of my maximum power. I tried tucking my left arm close to my body, and even have it in my pants, it felt a little bit weird and almost as I lost some of my balance. I guess I will get used to it over time so I will stick with it. I'm going away for work tomorrow so will focus on drills, I can't really throw while I'm there. I felt I did a better job when it comes to not having a downward motion when I recorded from the side. Anyways here it is, it's a youtube clip and framebyframe for slowmotion.

Sideview:

https://youtu.be/U6jyw_S-ykE
http://www.watchframebyframe.com/wat...2UKUYnhJU.link

Backview:
https://youtu.be/DwGqPzI9B-k
http://www.watchframebyframe.com/wat...2Uids0lqY.link

Appreciate the feedback, this forum is great!