Old 11-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 419 Times in 309 Posts

Yeah maybe try swinging a hammer or heavy object around to feel how it pulls your arm/shoulder tight like a ball on a string, but without using arm or shoulder muscles. Your string has a lot of slack in it. Or with a disc you can try the windmill drill. I think the lower body action looks better but plant is too closed like sw22 said.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by UhhNegative; 11-25-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

If I get this straight, I’m holding onto to the disc too loose. If I would do this with a heavy object, my hand would be pointing directly down to the ground instead of sideways. I need to pretend the disc is a heavy object and use my forward motion to keep it up.

I never expected my plant foot to be this closed in comparison to my throwing direction. I think this something I changed a while ago in order to be certain I got enough rotation. In this photo I'm trying to throw a flat shot, however I'm lined up for a hyzer. My feet position while throwing anhyze and hyzer were ok?

Seem like I should be adding some stripes in the garage and go back for standstill while working on my foot placement.

https://i.ibb.co/r6cNVb3/foot-position-01.png

I should be lined up more like the yellow stripe in this picture right?

Niced: (1)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by podskiii View Post
If I get this straight, I’m holding onto to the disc too loose. If I would do this with a heavy object, my hand would be pointing directly down to the ground instead of sideways. I need to pretend the disc is a heavy object and use my forward motion to keep it up.

I never expected my plant foot to be this closed in comparison to my throwing direction. I think this something I changed a while ago in order to be certain I got enough rotation. In this photo I'm trying to throw a flat shot, however I'm lined up for a hyzer. My feet position while throwing anhyze and hyzer were ok?

Seem like I should be adding some stripes in the garage and go back for standstill while working on my foot placement.

https://i.ibb.co/r6cNVb3/foot-position-01.png

I should be lined up more like the yellow stripe in this picture right?
Nothing to do with how you are holding the disc, it's more than you are using arm/shoulder muscles that don't need to be used. The heavy object would yank your shoulder out of socket at release because of all the slack in your arm. Like imagine your arm/disc as a kid on swingset swinging back and forth. The rope holding the swing to the frame is going to be taut the entire time.

Fortunately, you probably wouldn't actually rip your arm out of socket because when you are holding that heavy object your body is going to protect itself from doing that, forcing you to have better form.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 11-26-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Nothing to do with how you are holding the disc, it's more than you are using arm/shoulder muscles that don't need to be used. The heavy object would yank your shoulder out of socket at release because of all the slack in your arm. Like imagine your arm/disc as a kid on swingset swinging back and forth. The rope holding the swing to the frame is going to be taut the entire time.

Fortunately, you probably wouldn't actually rip your arm out of socket because when you are holding that heavy object your body is going to protect itself from doing that, forcing you to have better form.
Is there a good way to practice this? Perhaps throw a hammer in the woods and actually record myself doing it and share it in this thread? See how it will differ in comparison to me throwing a disc. Any specific angle which is better to record from?

Last edited by podskiii; 11-27-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:17 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by podskiii View Post
Is there a good way to practice this? Perhaps throw a hammer in the woods and actually record myself doing it and share it in this thread? See how it will differ in comparison to me throwing a disc. Any specific angle which is better to record from?
Yeah, or even just swinging it around but not letting it go. Don't have to try with full power, just enough so your body has to resist the weight. Might still want to do this outside just in case.... Best camera angles are from the side or from behind just like you have been doing.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Par Member

Any improvement? I'm trying to take it really slow and not use any arm at all to prevent curling. I didn't record with normal speed, but I was trying to take it slow where my goal was to prevent curling.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,410 Times in 2,678 Posts

Note how Matt's shoulders are closed to the target the entire time here. Your shoulders start and end open, so everything is going more around you. Also note Matt's front shin'knee is vertical over the ankle going into the hit, so his knee has braced and cleared his hip out. Your shin is angled \ with knee over toes, collapsing knee/hip into foot.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:52 PM
Par Member

Thanks for a quick response.

This gets me confused. I don’t get the comparison between me and Matt Orum, my goal is to not curl the disc.

Picture 1 of me and Bradley Williams:
I can see that I start open to the target while Bradley Williams and Matt Orum is starting halfway closed. What difference will this make? I see all of the pros starting halfway closed. If I were to start halfway closed, would this prevent me from collapsing the knee? If not, any tip for fixing this issue?

Just to make sure I got this right, this is what you mean by collapsing the knee right? I should have more of a straight line as Matt Orum.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,410 Times in 2,678 Posts

Shoulders closed = leveraged hitting position.

Need to plant in dynamic balance to brace.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 4.58.42 AM.jpg (63.3 KB, 34 views)

Niced: (1)