Old 11-28-2017, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,424 Times in 2,687 Posts

1. Your feet are inline to each other or open. Need to close your stance so rear toes inline to front heel or further to the right side of tee pad from front heel.

2. You are still pushing off the rear foot during the swing - this is way too late and pushes your spine over top your front leg and lined up on rear leg instead of front leg. Need to get off the rear foot to shift into the plant and maintain dynamic balance and posture upright. Note how my rear knee has kicked in targetward, so there is no weight on the rear foot and my spine is upright dynamically on the front leg only.

3. You are trying to spin too fast and look ahead to the target and not paying attention to the disc in your hand and what you are doing to it at the point of contact. Note how I'm aiming with my body and watching my disc the entire swing.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Thanks again for your reply, this was a lot, it was expected however. I have now watched all the videos by Shawn Clements you posted, I probably have to watch them dozen of times before it sticks. I can’t wait to try this out when I get home again. Just to verify a few things:

1. I’m not sure what an open stance or a closed stance is, I’m not English unfortunately. I think I have an idea however, and I can see the difference between you and me. Just to verify, my feets should be lined up more like this, this is also true for anhyzer, hyzer and flat releases as well right?

If I drew a line at the soccer field where I was practicing, both of my toes from both feets was lined up on the same line which is a mistake.

2. I’m not sure I understand this. I did watch a few slowmotion videos on youtube from Eagle Mcmahon and Paul Mcbeth.

From the screenshot, I can tell that Eagle “lifts” his back foot and now shift his weight over to his right foot. This is completely different from I’m doing, my back foot lifts itself after I have thrown the disc. Probably because I have too much weight on it? Do you intentionally “lifts” your rear foot or will this happen naturally when your kick your knee targetward?

3. Thanks for pointing this out, this is something I’ve been overlooking for sure. It might be because I’m scared of losing my disc when I’m playing by myself? Hopefully this will be an easy fix with some field practice.

Last edited by podskiii; 11-29-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

1. Correct, also your line should match your throwing line so your picture is for a straight shot, while a hyzer the line should be more \ and anhyzer should be more / to match to your trajectory.

2. Might be a language thing but "lift" is different than "push". You should push your weight forward from the left foot to the right foot before you start swinging to the target. Lifting is more of a tipping over which isn't shifting or pushing. The foot will automatically come off the ground as your weight goes forward and drag forward weightless.

3. You have to trust yourself. If your feet are setup correctly you should always end up throwing close enough to your trajectory line even if you were blindfolded.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Par Member

Hi again, I'm back with a new form check video. I haven't posted anything recently because I have gotten a few friends who would rather play vs doing field work. I've been playing a decent amount lately and have been able to shave off a lot of points on my scorecards. I hope and believe my form is better, I'm still mostly throwing standstill and I only use a run-up on holes where I feel I can bomb the disc.

I was going to do some field work on a soccer field, however it was occupied when I got there and decided to throw a few Rocs and some Leopards in a tunnel. It was hard to record and it was snowing, this had me standing in front of the teepad instead of in the middle. I'm not super happy with my shots, I feel I might be trying a bit too hard during my shots. I also feel that I didn't get a proper follow through (this part has not been a issue lately). This might be because I'm pushing of my rear foot to late?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MLcsoa4U-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbsiQnYjf4
Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Podskiii,

I think you are hugging yourself when you throw - your arm collapses inwards on the throw, and your throw is from the left pec, not the right pec. It looks like your arm is getting left behind, so to speak, on the throw. You are rotating your hips/shoulders, but don't look to be accelerating your arm enough to stay with the throw.

Just a suggestion: hold the disc up to your right pec (disc hitting between the sternum and the nipple), parallel to the ground. Make sure your hand is 180 degrees to your chest. Your elbow should be fairly far out from your body. Feel this position. Now move the disc (same angle to the ground and same chest/hand angle) to hit right on your left nipple. This is about where you are throwing.

When throwing, try to bring that elbow forward on the throw. I find it easiest to do this if I concentrate on keeping my hand on the opposite side of the disc from my chest all of the way through the throw. Or you could imagine elbowing someone you don't like next to you.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Podskiii,

I think you are hugging yourself when you throw - your arm collapses inwards on the throw, and your throw is from the left pec, not the right pec. It looks like your arm is getting left behind, so to speak, on the throw. You are rotating your hips/shoulders, but don't look to be accelerating your arm enough to stay with the throw.

Just a suggestion: hold the disc up to your right pec (disc hitting between the sternum and the nipple), parallel to the ground. Make sure your hand is 180 degrees to your chest. Your elbow should be fairly far out from your body. Feel this position. Now move the disc (same angle to the ground and same chest/hand angle) to hit right on your left nipple. This is about where you are throwing.

When throwing, try to bring that elbow forward on the throw. I find it easiest to do this if I concentrate on keeping my hand on the opposite side of the disc from my chest all of the way through the throw. Or you could imagine elbowing someone you don't like next to you.
I think you might be correct about not having my elbow involved in my throw. This is something that I've been wondering about in the past, I've never really felt my elbow being involved in my throws. I kinda knew about this, but at that point I had bigger fish to fry. Is there any video about this I can study? I'm more of of a visual learner. I will try to make another recording so we can verify my issues, my last recording was definitely not optimal. Thanks
Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,644 Times in 1,658 Posts

See if anything in here clicks. You are definitely pushing your upper body ahead/overtop in your throws.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=127477

Also you can try the crush the can drills, if you push your weight over the top then this drill makes it obvious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgqNj_VhjI

When throwing standstill shots, especially in slippery conditions, don't set up at the end of the teepad. It's so easy to roll your ankle with just the slightest mistake.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
See if anything in here clicks. You are definitely pushing your upper body ahead/overtop in your throws.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=127477

Also you can try the crush the can drills, if you push your weight over the top then this drill makes it obvious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgqNj_VhjI

When throwing standstill shots, especially in slippery conditions, don't set up at the end of the teepad. It's so easy to roll your ankle with just the slightest mistake.
Thanks, I'm just wondering if I should be focusing on "Crush the can" or focus getting my elbow more involved in my throws? I know that I have a lot of flaws in my form, but can't do everything at once. What do you guys recommend? I also recorded more footage, not the best footage, but I tried to angle it a little bit better so maybe it's easier to see my flaws. This was recorded to take a better look at how my elbow is angled, or if I'm hugging myself.

In hindsight I should probably record in front of myself. Anyways I tried to make a quick recording because of the the snow. It will rain a fair bit during the weekend, so I was hoping to do a few drills and try to change my form. Please suggest drills or what I should be trying to fix first.

I really appreciate suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu1nfpQCNK0
Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,644 Times in 1,658 Posts

They are linked. I find that my elbow collapses the worst if I push my body ahead early. So essentially you are pushing your upper body overtop of your front leg, ahead of the throw. Your arm is very disconnected at the shoulder, so when your torso goes ahead early the arm hangs back, and that's what causes the upper arm to collapse.

Working on Crush the Can and some of the other drills will help you stay balanced on the plant leg, so you are less likely to throw your torso ahead of the throw.

I would also look at the Dingle Arm video below...do this with something short and heavy like a hammer or wrench. Somewhere safe obviously. This will help you keep your arm connected to the torso during the backswing, and give you some weight feedback near the hit point when the object wants to start to swing and change direction. Try to feel leverage during this direction change. Right now you are using your shoulder to reach back with the disc, rather than "loading" back with your whole body in a flowing motion.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah you are hugging yourself and looks like are gripping the disc/pulling it from the 11-12 o'clock(12 is target), instead your grip should be more on the opposite side of the disc from your chest so it's more like 8-9 o'clock on the disc as it comes forward across your center with elbow bent and leading with closed shoulder. You want to grip the disc and toss it more like a hammer and throwing the opposite side of the disc(nose/head) from your grip.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...fa23b11429ebfa