Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Thanks! I will focus on "shoulder snap drill", "dingle arm with a hammer" and also "Dan beato drill" just to get a feel for my elbow. I will start from scratch and throw short shots instead of trying to bomb shots. My next project will be crush the can. I will take some photos at field practice, trying to sort out my grip. Should I be curling my hand at 8-9 o' clock? Anyways, I will take some photos just to clarify this. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,644 Times in 1,658 Posts

Don't curl your hand/wrist. The top of your wrist/hand should be level with your forearm, and the back of your hand should be in line, maybe 10 degrees closed, of your lower arm. Any more curl than that isn't necessary, the disc will get loaded back when you change arcs during the throw. Just don't start out with the hand and disc angled open.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Don't curl your hand/wrist. The top of your wrist/hand should be level with your forearm, and the back of your hand should be in line, maybe 10 degrees closed, of your lower arm. Any more curl than that isn't necessary, the disc will get loaded back when you change arcs during the throw. Just don't start out with the hand and disc angled open.
Thanks I will show a photo of what I mean. I tried getting my elbow more involved at a soccer field today, and I felt something I've never felt before when I'm throwing. For the first time I felt something in my tricep, especially on the backside. In the end I tried firing a missile and I had 2 discs that actually crossed a soccer field. Both of those were around 365 feet with no skip and also thrown standstill. These were probably on of my best drives ever when I exclude skips. Now it just has to stop pouring down so I can get some work in!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Par Member

I decided to make a video to show my routine before throwing a disc. I have a routine where I place the disc in my hand and than I curl my fingers inside the rim, this is how I was taught to throw a disc. I watched a few clips on Youtube and I didn't really see anything I did wrong. However, I definitely see that I'm doing something completely different when I'm driving compared to everyone else. SW22 mentioned it seem like I'm gripping/pulling the disc from 11-12 o'clock, and I agree with him. I'm not trying to curl my wrist.

At 00:10 it seems like I'm pulling the disc wrong.

I tried gripping it a little different with a friend at a soccer field, and he seemed to do it correct. When I tried pulling it a bit different I actually felt something in my tricep also on the backside of my arm. It was the first time I've felt something when I'm throwing RHBH. I had 2 shots in a row that went insanely far compared to my average drive. It felt great.

At 00:19 I try to grip it a little bit different, more like 8-9 o'clock. I didn't try to curl my wrist or anything.

I'm just wondering, am I missing something? Do it look okay at 00:19? If not is there any video that cover this?

The weather is a bit unstable at the moment, I'm trying to have as much knowledge as possible until I can do more field work.

Thanks, you are all great

Last edited by podskiii; 01-28-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:15 PM
* Ace Member *

It's tricky to tell exactly, but I like what you're doing at the 0:19 mark better. The wrist is a bit more closed and you are more on the opposite side of the disc. Seem to be sufficiently nose down.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,414 Times in 2,680 Posts

Don't use your upper arm/shoulder muscles to move the upper arm/elbow forward/back. Keep the upper arm almost locked forward/wide in place and turn your shoulders/body back and forth more to swing just the lower arm/disc in/out of power pocket/right pec.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Par Member

Not sure why I only get one link to work, but the others is not working?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,414 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podskiii View Post
Not sure why I only get one link to work, but the others is not working?
Only the Bold part goes in the tag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOga8zek2c
Old 06-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Par Member

I'm sorry that I wasted my my thread with a lot of useless posts. I'm trying again.

Hi everyone, I've not been active here for a while but still fairly active in the felt.

I can throw around 350-370 feet on average with distance drivers. When I really bomb the disc I can go a little bit further, but it can also give me the total opposite result. Lately I haven't focused too much on my RHBH form, but I'm interested getting into it again. From today when I recorded, I haven't played in 15 days because of work. It did feel a bit weird to throw.

Throwing Star 'KJ' Teebird, Star TL3 and Champion Teebird.

Throwing rocs.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

From what I'm seeing you're going over the top, but still have the from behind concept for your shift. It's like you are feeling some of the right things but also doing something that "feels powerful" but is instead very slow and off balance.

I would do the door frame drill so that you turn back more upright, and keep turning back to load into the rear hip as your plant foot is coming down/toes touching. Right now you get to maximum load back too early and drag the upper body forward. Then continually push the upper body way forward instead of catching your weight on the plant....

Your forward motion is too upper body oriented, you really tilt forward over the top instead of getting your torso to where you will plant, more upright and in balance, and letting the brace clear you out of the way. Too eager to throw and you are throwing your torso forward.

I think the throwing your torso forward is what is causing your rear leg to straighten out...it has to do this to counterbalance. If you maintain more upright posture then you will be able to transfer/leverage forward toward the target more easily off the rear leg, rather than just using the rear leg to stop yourself from tipping over.