Old 11-25-2020, 06:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 641 Times in 274 Posts

I didn't watch all of it because I've already watched the coverage on youtube and because it is 5:15 and I'm working, but what I did see looked fantastic.

With that said, if I didn't play disc golf, I don't think this would make me want to take it up.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 53 Posts

It’s a starting point. I think an international event at an incredible course like the EU Open in Nokia would show really well on TV. That coverage to me is the most TV ready.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 346 Times in 122 Posts

I felt last night's coverage was better than when CBS Sports aired the Dynamic Discs Open back in September?. If I remember correctly, CBS Sports did a 1 hour show. ESPN2 did 2 hours.
Even with a 2 hour show it's impossible to get every throw, but I think they did a good job last night. (at one point I believe they skipped 6 holes)
They did a good job of reserving a large portion of time (like 50 minutes) to the last 4-5 holes for both the men's and women's.
As always, Sexton and Koling sounded good. (a little toned down from their usual stuff)
Overall, I thought the 2 hour broadcast was very solid.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 401
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 221 Times in 122 Posts

The coverage was nicely polished, the commercials as professional as anything else on tv. I would find that course fun and challengingly similar to a # of PNW courses, but a few park-like holes might have showcased the pros driving skills a bit better.

Still, the showing left me wondering: up and coming, or just desperate for any sports? After all, there's marble races on the airwaves now....

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 11-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 60 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
Still, the showing left me wondering: up and coming, or just desperate for any sports? After all, there's marble races on the airwaves now....
All Sports Matter!

Except maybe figure skating.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:10 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 39 Times in 13 Posts

It was nice to see it on TV like that. The camera work and disc golf commercials were great. On the mens side it is too bad they didn't have Eagle, Mcbeth, or Wysocki. Kind of missed having those big names on there. I enjoyed watching it, but I would have liked to see more than just those 8 players. I also would have liked to see some of the recovery shots from the tree hits. So many times I saw a tree hit and then it skipped ahead and didn't show how they got out (but I get many people don't want to see them struggle too badly or simply pitch out from the woods). It made them seem more relatable because they actually had some shanks, tree hits, badly missed putts etc that showed their vulnerabilities, but it also showed some amazing lines and skill shots. Overall nice to see
Old 11-25-2020, 03:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 645 Times in 424 Posts

Anyone know when this will be up? It was Jomez' production, yes?

I did not catch it as I don't have cable hooked up, but I do note that a coworker of mine mentioned he saw it today. Says it looks fun and hard (all too true).

Talk about exposure for the sport! I told him when things are "back to normal" I'll take him to the course and to bring his kids.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 645 Times in 424 Posts

Someone above mentioned ideal course layouts for showcasing on TV to the general audience.

I can imagine a challenging course with a variety of shot shapes and layouts would be ideal - thinking The Beast. Dramatic shots over water, tight wooded fairways, not too many OB ropes.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,144 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Anyone know when this will be up? It was Jomez' production, yes?

I did not catch it as I don't have cable hooked up, but I do note that a coworker of mine mentioned he saw it today. Says it looks fun and hard (all too true).

Talk about exposure for the sport! I told him when things are "back to normal" I'll take him to the course and to bring his kids.
This will not be on Jomez YouTube channel. This is exclusive to ESPN. But, they do have their full shot-by-shot coverage of the finale.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-25-2020, 03:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Niced 641 Times in 274 Posts

Already had someone sign up on the local group saying they watched last night and wanted to get started.

Even more people to buy up the discs I want and to get in front of me on the fairway!