Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 125
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The good thing about the Carolinas is that you have year long DG.....we've had some colder than normal temperatures(for us), but from where you are it, it's nothing. It will take a bit for you to get used to the heat/humidity during the summers, but being younger, it won't be bad. As far as hockey, it's NOT very popular down south, however, there are minor league teams if you HAVE to go see it live, if not, you can always get Direct TV (Satellite) and get the NHL package, and see whatever you like, wherever you choose to live. I moved from Florida up to the Carolinas nearly 20 years ago and have never looked back. I was not in to DG at that point, but have always been into outdoor activities. The greatest thing I like around this area.....people are much more friendly than where I came from, the climate is usually really good, and you are a day trip (or just hours, depending on where you are) from either the mountains, or the beaches. Charlotte, by far is the DG mecca in the area, and it's about 1-1.5 hours from where I am, the Upstate in SC is becoming much more popular, and is getting more courses in, with a fantastic club that always has activities. Asheville NC is also becoming a REALLY hot area to live, not sure about the IT jobs, but has a LOT to do, a great DG club with activities, a great climate, and not far from either Charlotte, or Greenville SC.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 170
Niced 141 Times in 71 Posts

Cisco you say? We've got a large Cisco facility in the Research Triangle Park here in Raleigh/Durham. Citrix just opened a new building and the HQ of Red Hat. Plus, Fidelity recently moved here and MetLife is moving their US HQ here. Just search RTP for more.
You want hockey? The Hurricanes call Raleigh home.
The DG is good here and getting better, a new course last year, another almost finished and a third to be done this year. The ONLY John Houck course in NC! Charlotte is a long day trip or great weekend trip for all their courses.
Plus great courses at the beach (Castle Hayne and Glenburnie) 2 hrs away, and the mountains (Richmond Hill and Ashe County) are 3-4 hrs away.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 AM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another question for those of you in those areas of Texas, North Carolina, and Colorado areas.

What kind of wildlife is in these areas? Both things I should know about, maybe be cautious about, or that are awesome to see? I enjoy wildlife but obviously in Minnesota, we do not see anything other than the occasional deer and raccoon.... Would like to know what to expect on the courses as well as around my home, beaches, mountains, hiking, whatever.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

Wildlife and the plants in Texas are extremely varied, from the interesting to the feared. If you have a snake phobia or don't like plants with sharp spines, Texas is not the place for you. That said, you'll probably see the most volume of wildlife here. It does help to have a local "show you the ropes". For example, you never sit down outside without looking for ants first. It's part of it. With the bad, is a whole lot of good. If you're into complaining, Texas isn't for you.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 338
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Colorado has some deadly wildlife but I wouldn't let that be a factor. Pretty much anytime or anywhere you play DG you have to be aware of your surroundings. Whether it's poison ivy or cactus, or mountain lions or Bigfoot. I like where I live but it's not for everybody. I also snowboard a lot.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trice15 View Post
Another question for those of you in those areas of Texas, North Carolina, and Colorado areas.

What kind of wildlife is in these areas? Both things I should know about, maybe be cautious about, or that are awesome to see? I enjoy wildlife but obviously in Minnesota, we do not see anything other than the occasional deer and raccoon.... Would like to know what to expect on the courses as well as around my home, beaches, mountains, hiking, whatever.
I live out in the countryside in South Carolina, about as wildlife-friendly as it can be. I've seen very little to fear. We have poisonous snakes, but it's been at least 10 years since I've seen one. We have fire ants, which are quite a nuisance, and black widow spiders. If you go to the mountains there are black bears; along the coast (which is not Raleigh or Charlotte) there are alligators. Not a lot to be concerned about. By far the major animal threat is domestic dogs, improperly trained and restrained---but I'm sure that's true anywhere.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Here in Charlotte, the only poisonous snake you'll see is the copperhead, and its pretty rare to see one. The only other potentially dangerous fauna would be the growing numbers of coyotes. Although I've yet to see any on any courses, I have seen quite a few in our neighborhood in the middle of South Charlotte. Which makes me wonder if the Sauls have seen any down at Stoney Hill. They are relatively new here, only arriving in the last ten or so years. Other than plenty of deer and raccoons, we also have foxes and quite a decent population of owls, which you'll hear, but not likely see.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trice15 View Post

the most "dangerous" thing in the triangle is poison ivy and ticks.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 164
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It wouldn't suit your NHL need, although the Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins and Predators are all within 6 hours, we do have the Cyclones which are a pretty good ECHL team (2-1 in 3 Kelly Cup appearances in the last 7 yrs) and we have a really good disc golf scene with great variety from which to choose. Tight and wooded, open and windy and courses with both, not to mention Idlewild (#1 public, #6 overall and #1 favorited course) and Lincoln Ridge (#12 favorited) and Mt. Airy (#17 favorited and an awesome Pro Shop). Plenty of great events and singles/doubles every night of the week in the summer (Only 2 doubles events I know of that go all year). Plenty of other courses from beginner to advanced and Disc N Dat is another great pro shop. Plenty of day trip or weekend trips available with Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and Dayton all within 1-3 hours depending on which part of town you live. Paint Creek, Pike Lake and Rocky Fork would make a great dg/fishing/camping weekend if you are into that kind of thing and are within 1-2 hours in south central ohio. IDK about the IT scene though.

Last edited by alex513ninja; 02-23-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
Here in Charlotte, the only poisonous snake you'll see is the copperhead, and its pretty rare to see one. The only other potentially dangerous fauna would be the growing numbers of coyotes. Although I've yet to see any on any courses, I have seen quite a few in our neighborhood in the middle of South Charlotte. Which makes me wonder if the Sauls have seen any down at Stoney Hill. They are relatively new here, only arriving in the last ten or so years. Other than plenty of deer and raccoons, we also have foxes and quite a decent population of owls, which you'll hear, but not likely see.
We certainly have coyotes, but I've only seen one, many years ago. Others around us have seen them a few times. It's almost impossible to find any reliable accounts of anyone be injured by coyotes---they're pretty reclusive. Pretty tough on outdoor cats, though.