Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: How many putts per day
100 + 10 15.15%
75 + 4 6.06%
50 + 12 18.18%
25 + 14 21.21%
Why ? 26 39.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2017, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,695 Times in 1,586 Posts

Limited by a busy and sporadic schedule, and injuries, so it's:

75-100 putts, 2-3 times per week, in a set regimen ranging from 15-30'. (I aim for 100, but my back won't always last that long).

And 25 putts before playing, which is 1-2 times per week.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 507 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asromatifoso View Post
I throw ten or 12 every day when I get home from work and sometimes the same when I go out in the morning, depending on how late I'm running. I also do some dedicated time on weekends but it's when I can. I can't imagine having the time to do 100 per day, every day. I have definitely improved simply by getting a basket and throwing some amount every day, so I can see the value of doing more, I just can't see having the time. A common lament, probably.
I don't know what your time demands are, so I'm saying this generally, not specifically to you: if 15-20 minutes out of 24 hours (about one percent of the time!) in a day is too much time to spend on something, then it either 1) isn't important at all, or 2) you're wasting time.

To point 1, disc golf putting practice is waaay down the list of important things to do, especially for people with lots of responsibilities. Getting 100 putts in is like the sprinkles on top of the frosting on top of the cake.

To point 2, 15-20 minutes is not that big of a time commitment. People spend more time than that watching shows, on social media, or even reading/posting on this forum.

People like to complain about not having enough time, but often time is not the real issue.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
To point 2, 15-20 minutes is not that big of a time commitment. People spend more time than that watching shows, on social media, or even reading/posting on this forum.
Alas, in my life there are about 65 hours of stuff like that a day, that I want to do and could do if I only made time.

If only I could practice disc golf while eating....
Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

To be clear, I don't throw 100 in a single session and 100 is a stretch goal.

I usually break it up into at least a couple of sessions. My goal is 25 putts with my morning coffee (5 each at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30'), 50 putts after work (10 at each distance), and 25 more after dinner. I'm also logging every putt to keep my expectations honest.

My target basket is set up on the deck near the BBQ, so I often practice while grilling dinner.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Alas, in my life there are about 65 hours of stuff like that a day, that I want to do and could do if I only made time.

If only I could practice disc golf while eating....
Yeah, same here. There's a lot of stuff to do. For me, I've wanted to play a third instrument (violin) but haven't made the time since I have a regular commitment to play piano in one group, and guitar fills in the rest of my music time. At this point, practicing putts is more important to me than learning the violin. Eventually that will change; maybe when 25 foot putts feel like 15 footers do for me now.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 428 Times in 165 Posts

100 putts doesn't need to take more than a few minutes. I think it's the bare minimum of what someone needs to do in a practice session to get better at putting.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 152 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
I don't know what your time demands are, so I'm saying this generally, not specifically to you: if 15-20 minutes out of 24 hours (about one percent of the time!) in a day is too much time to spend on something, then it either 1) isn't important at all, or 2) you're wasting time.

To point 1, disc golf putting practice is waaay down the list of important things to do, especially for people with lots of responsibilities. Getting 100 putts in is like the sprinkles on top of the frosting on top of the cake.

People like to complain about not having enough time, but often time is not the real issue.
If 100 putts actually took me 15-20 minutes, then, yes, it might be feasible. I practice quite a bit throughout the week, mostly upshots 100-150 foot. If I had 100 putters of the same mold, I might get through 100 putts in 15-20 minutes. I do not. I have 4 Judges. So, while I get that you're speaking in generalities, I don't think you are being realistic about the time commitment that 100 putts takes. As far as being committed to disc golf, well, I've spent hundreds of dollars and a significant amount of time playing and practicing in the year and a half I've been disc golfing, plus lots of time watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about my first ace, etc., so I think it's pretty important to me.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Actually, if I could putt from my desk when I should be working---like I post here---I'd get a lot of practice in.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

I try to get out 5-10 times per week to putt for a few minutes, mostly focused on 15-20 footers. Its a confidence building exercise. Quantity=/= Quality.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asromatifoso View Post
If 100 putts actually took me 15-20 minutes, then, yes, it might be feasible. I practice quite a bit throughout the week, mostly upshots 100-150 foot. If I had 100 putters of the same mold, I might get through 100 putts in 15-20 minutes. I do not. I have 4 Judges. So, while I get that you're speaking in generalities, I don't think you are being realistic about the time commitment that 100 putts takes. As far as being committed to disc golf, well, I've spent hundreds of dollars and a significant amount of time playing and practicing in the year and a half I've been disc golfing, plus lots of time watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about my first ace, etc., so I think it's pretty important to me.
I made 90 out of 100 20-foot putts this morning in 12 minutes using 3 putters. There's a 3.5 minute video of McBeth making 50 putts plus messing around with a basketball (50 +1 on youtube.) If each putt takes 10 seconds, that's under 17 minutes for 100 putts. So 20 minutes is definitely realistic for 100 putts. Though I can see if you only use one putter, and go through a full routine of marking your lie, setting up, and putting each and every time, it would take much longer. Which would also be a great way to practice, since that's what happens when it counts. But for building muscle memory, confidence, "greasing the groove," etc., 15-20 minutes is definitely realistic.

Also, I must not have been clear enough on the point of "importance" since it looks like you misunderstood what I was saying. I am not equating importance with commitment. I am not saying that disc golf is not important to you; I am saying that putting practice is not an important focus. Which is fine; it sounds like you are choosing to focus practice time on upshots. There is only so much time, and priorities have to be made. So if you choose to spend disc golf practice time on upshots rather than putting, wouldn't that mean that you deem practicing upshots a more important use of time than practicing putting? Or for that matter, watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about your first ace, etc. must also be more important to you than practicing putting, since that is where you are spending your disc golf "time budget?"

Those other activities are certainly valuable, for learning, motivation, enjoyment, etc. What I'm saying is that we all prioritize what are really the important things first. So if putting practice is at the bottom of the list, then relative to the other activities, it isn't of high importance. Otherwise it would be at the top of the list.