Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

I always thought they made a run of discs in a specific color and just stamped "P Mc B" on them making the stamp an arbitrary feature.

Is there sorting that goes into what get's stamped "P Mc B" and what get's any other stamp?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts
Default AJ star Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
There were many runs that were on the flippy side. I think I know which AJ run you're talking about...almost flat, the wing on the top was concave but very gradual. Those were flippy compared to the other runs but for lower power players they absolutely crush.
Yeah, quite a bit of high speed turn for me. I got overly aggressive a couple times and flipped it bad. I generally like a beefier Destroyer with some dome. One that will turn just a bit on really hard throws, but come back nicely at the end.

I had my proto star Destroyer 171g back in the bag today and was hammering it perfectly. I've thrown the disc for so long I know exactly what it does and what line to put it on for max distance and accuracy.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
With the McBeth stamped Destroyers you never know what you're getting. I've seen really good ones, and horrible ones. Some are extremely overstable, like moreso than an XCal. You can't even really pick a run of stars and say they're all good or all bad. There are plenty of lemon Destroyers dating back to the first run protos.

I like the star Destroyer and bag one, but I still can't see what exactly about this mold drives it to such epic proportions from a selling standpoint. I think McBeth throwing them was huge for Innova. His leaving will likely put a dent in overall Destroyer sales.

On a side note, I threw an AJ Destroyer for the first time in a while last week. It looked and felt noticeably different from the usual star Destroyer I bag. Different rim and lack of dome. It seemed almost flippy too. I'm not even saying it was a bad disc, but it wasn't really like my first run proto star Destroyer.
Right on, so my assessment of general mediocrity is something we agree on?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphoric View Post
I always thought they made a run of discs in a specific color and just stamped "P Mc B" on them making the stamp an arbitrary feature.

Is there sorting that goes into what get's stamped "P Mc B" and what get's any other stamp?
I think you're generally right that they take more of a "just in time" approach to stamping discs. They tend to run a lot at once and then stamp them in batches as they send them out. That's why you could still find the random Destroyer with the then-current stamp but with patent numbers a year or more after the patent numbers had been removed from the mold. Heck, wouldn't have surprised me if there were even a few McBeth stamped Destroyers out there that still had the patent numbers on the mold. I know I bought some patent numbers S/DS's right at the tail end of the Avery era when those were already collectors.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Right on, so my assessment of general mediocrity is something we agree on?
Yeah. I've thrown maybe 40 star Destroyers in my life. From proto stars to current. The proto stars were by far the most consistent and overall best flying Destroyers.

Everything since seems like it was molded more cheaply and they let QC slip somewhat. The discs come out with huge variances in dome and stability.

I think people settled on the Destroyer because (as mentioned) its so readily available. It has to be by far the easiest to find high speed driver. And besides, if you don't want to use the Destroyer, your options from other companies (Sword, Trespass, Outlaw, Punisher, Teedevil, Enforcer, Villain) are all harder to find and have consistency problems of their own. I think you're going to run into issues with flight characteristics whenever you compare large numbers of high speed drivers over a period of years.

I guess my only beef about the Destroyer is that Innova gets sloppy with QC on some of them. Its like they release an inferior run of Destroyers and don't seem to care.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 85 Times in 58 Posts
Default let's see if this works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gFWS1wY4QB2dJgZv8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4eWjAMua9LrsiLBb8

I can't seem to post photos or videos like I used to
Do I need a premium membership to do this stuff now?

anyway green is F2, orange is S/DS
Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 24
Niced 712 Times in 292 Posts

Destroyer inconsistency is the reason I own far more PD2s. I still have a handful of destroyers for less stable shots but they were all hand selected. I don't think I would be willing to bag them over the PD2 as my main stable/OS distance driver anymore.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

I don't have the arm for a Destroyer (not to properly use it anyway) but I have thrown a few. I understand consistency issues and to a point almost appeal that you can use the nuances of any disc to help only bag one mold but I just don't get it with these.IDK.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
I don't have the arm for a Destroyer (not to properly use it anyway) but I have thrown a few. I understand consistency issues and to a point almost appeal that you can use the nuances of any disc to help only bag one mold but I just don't get it with these.IDK.
Are old Destroyers worth what people pay for them? Hell, no. I think a lot of those sales are collector driven.

I like Destroyers and have thrown them for years, but I don't go out of my way to obtain them. Most Destroyers I have were found. They're like water. Destroyers turn up everywhere.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 87 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Destroyer inconsistency is the reason I own far more PD2s. I still have a handful of destroyers for less stable shots but they were all hand selected. I don't think I would be willing to bag them over the PD2 as my main stable/OS distance driver anymore.
PD2s aren't THAT much more consistent than destroyers, in my experience. I have a BUNCH (10+) destroyers and PD2s, as I throw them both. I just bought a bunch of the latest-run destroyers and they were all just about the same. All star plastic. Now, when you change plastic to, say, shimmer star, the flight will change, understandably. (My flat Master's 2016 shimmer stars are BEEF. Threw them in a 40+mph head wind last weekend and they showed a nice amount of turn and glide. )

If you get a luster PD2, they are NASTY OS. Regular run champ PD2s are fairly consistent. However, when you get to S-lines, the domey ones (from what I understand) are much straighter than the flat ones.

IOW, everything has inconsistencies. Just go with it and go throw! Let any inconsistency in a disc heighten your game.